Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Military news

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2021/01/19/four-reasons-the-navys-bold-plans-for-its-surface-fleet-are-doomed-in-the-biden-era/

Navy had ambitious plans that will have to be scaled back now.

FYI F16 apparently are just used as trainers now. It’s F18, F 35 mostly used as our Navy’s attack light bomber aircrafts.

seawolf class is 1980 technology and still is our best attack submarines Just like the F22 is far superior to the F35. Which is 10 to 15 years older than the F35. 

B52 was designed in the 1940s ordered in 1946 or 1947 and built in the 1950s and it is still our main bomber. The frames are 70 years old.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Looks like the article is arguing that it is a good thing to look at the navy's plan and see what is actually needed and what's the best way to go about it. I think the navy will be very important in the future but see no problem with taking a look at what is actually needed instead of doing everything even if it isn't needed. 

FYI. The F16 was never used as anything other than training in the navy. They have used f18 since the 80s I believe. F16 is an airforce plane. 

15 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Looks like the article is arguing that it is a good thing to look at the navy's plan and see what is actually needed and what's the best way to go about it. I think the navy will be very important in the future but see no problem with taking a look at what is actually needed instead of doing everything even if it isn't needed. 

FYI. The F16 was never used as anything other than training in the navy. They have used f18 since the 80s I believe. F16 is an airforce plane. 

Thanks for the clarification on the F16. F18 replaced the F14 in 1999 and 2000. I think the F14 retired in 2006 and we scrapped most of them so Iran couldn’t get parts for their F14s

The Masters 5k road race All American.

The problem with the F22 is that it's a maintenance and expense nightmare, not that it lacks capability.  It was also built to dominate air to air, but that is becoming an obsolete trick.  Just don't need that type of plane all that much, especially for the price.  It's rad af at air shows though. 

On 1/20/2021 at 8:37 AM, tspoke said:

We don't need to be spending money on equipment designed to fight the wars of the 50's-70's.  It's a waste.  I agree with your take.