Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits

Tyson Maeva is back in the Mountain West

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Not OP, but I feel the same way as you about tobacco smoking.  Just makes me feel nauseous and lightheaded and really burns the throat/lungs when smoking.

MJ is smoother.  Might make you cough but not the unpleasant burning feel that tobacco gives.  The high effect can feel pretty nice, and gets into your bloodstream faster by smoking than by digesting edibles.

Oh, I did not differentiate between what one was smoking. Are you saying that tobacco smoke in the lungs is dangerous but marijuana smoke in the lungs is not? In other words intentionally putting cigarette smoke directly into your lungs is very bad for you, but intentionally putting marijuana smoke directly into your lungs is good for you? That does not sound scientific, fact or logic-based, but I am open to being persuaded.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Pretty simple really, for many folks the enjoyment outweighs the risk; just like many of our pleasure seeking endeavors. 

“Outweighs”? Explain please. A temporary buzz is worth the physical and health damage that intentionally putting smoke directly into your lungs causes? That’s where I get back to my original premise of completely illogical behavior.

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

I'll just respond by saying did you think alcohol tasted like heaven the first time you had it? 

I quit drinking 15 years ago because I was a raging alcoholic but I have already addressed the alcohol issue. I believe there are many peer reviewed scientific studies that show that an occasional glass of wine is actually good for your health. Are you arguing that “occasionally“ intentionally putting smoke directly into your lungs can be good for your health? If you have any fact based scientific evidence to back that up, I am open to hearing it.

51 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Another big reason people do weed or drink is it’s a stress reliever. 

Same reason cigarette smokers use. But I’ve never understood that because wouldn’t being diagnosed with lung and/oral cancer and emphysema give you even more stress than the relief that smoking marijuana temporarily gave you?

3 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Why do people drink ETOH, go to McDonalds, not exercise ect ect ect. There are a ton of things people do that they know (statistically)  will harm them/reduce their lifespan. I guess people enjoy the benefits over the risk OR hope they are just one of the lucky ones (ie the smoker that lives to 90+ and never gets cancer/has any breathing problems).  

i acknowledge that I am a dork but I have no idea what EtOH is. You have really piqued my curiosity

2 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Same reason cigarette smokers use. But I’ve never understood that because wouldn’t being diagnosed with lung and/oral cancer and emphysema give you even more stress than the relief that smoking marijuana temporarily gave you?

No that isn't how dopamine works.

10 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I quit drinking 15 years ago because I was a raging alcoholic but I have already addressed the alcohol issue. I believe there are many peer reviewed scientific studies that show that an occasional glass of wine is actually good for your health. Are you arguing that “occasionally“ intentionally putting smoke directly into your lungs can be good for your health? If you have any fact based scientific evidence to back that up, I am open to hearing it.

Lol, what? The first time you ever had alcohol in your life did it taste great or did it take a few tries? I'm saying smoking is similar. Smoke will always bother you physically, but that's not why you're smoking, just like drinking 40's in your early 20's isn't done for taste....

16 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

“Outweighs”? Explain please. A temporary buzz is worth the physical and health damage that intentionally putting smoke directly into your lungs causes? That’s where I get back to my original premise of completely illogical behavior.

Yes, I think you've got it.

25 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Lol, what? The first time you ever had alcohol in your life did it taste great or did it take a few tries? I'm saying smoking is similar. Smoke will always bother you physically, but that's not why you're smoking, just like drinking 40's in your early 20's isn't done for taste....

I’m sorry, but I think we are talking past each other. I’m not talking about the taste of alcohol or the taste of smoking a tobacco or marijuana cigarette. I’m talking about the logic of doing it in the first place versus the effects it has on your body. I’m trying to understand from a logical perspective how intentionally putting smoke directly into your lungs is worth the “buzz” for a few minutes.

35 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

No that isn't how dopamine works.

Not following, sorry. People who smoke cigarettes or marijuana or alcohol say that it helps them cope with stress, that’s your point, correct? But what I’m saying is doing any of those three things can result in terminal diseases that would cause you even more stress than doing those things in the first place was supposed to relieve. Am I making sense?

28 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yes, I think you've got it.

But that is completely illogical. You’re engaging is something that will temporally make you feel good but in the long run will cause great damage to you and even in the short run will destroy your body. Is there nothing that will temporarily make you feel good that does not have such adverse effects?

2 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Really? Is it an acronym? I have never heard of alcohol being described by those four letters. Thank you by the way.Really? Is it an acronym? I have never heard of alcohol being described by those four letters. Thank you by the way.

Yeah.  From google:

Its formula can be also written as CH3CH2OH or C2H5OH (an ethyl group linked to a hydroxyl group), and is often abbreviated as EtOH.

3 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I’m sorry, but I think we are talking past each other. I’m not talking about the taste of alcohol or the taste of smoking a tobacco or marijuana cigarette. I’m talking about the logic of doing it in the first place versus the effects it has on your body. I’m trying to understand from a logical perspective how intentionally putting smoke directly into your lungs is worth the “buzz” for a few minutes.

How about you prove it's not...I mean if you've never tried it and quit alcohol years ago you probably can't relate tbh. Smoking occasionally is not that bad, just like drinking occasionally isn't that bad and IMO weed is less harsh on the body than alcohol. You always know who has a drinking problem at work but I bet you work with smokers and have no idea...

9 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

But that is completely illogical. You’re engaging is something that will temporally make you feel good but in the long run will cause great damage to you and even in the short run will destroy your body. Is there nothing that will temporarily make you feel good that does not have such adverse effects?

Duh...we're Humans, not Vulcans :shrug:

12 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Not following, sorry. People who smoke cigarettes or marijuana or alcohol say that it helps them cope with stress, that’s your point, correct?

No.  Marijuana is different and IMO way more than just a buzz or a stress reducer.  It changes the way you perceive and process the world around you.

50 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

No.  Marijuana is different and IMO way more than just a buzz or a stress reducer.  It changes the way you perceive and process the world around you.

this seemed overblown to me until you consider its almost universal usage among artists...