Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Did you graduate from the MWC team you follow ?

1 hour ago, robe said:

I do not have a college degree. It’s a big waste of money. I did get a waste management certificate. 

Certainly wasn’t a waste for me. My BA was basically free and getting my Masters degree was a big boost to my career. But it’s good you can manage that substance between your ears. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, robe said:

I do not have a college degree. It’s a big waste of money. I did get a waste management certificate. 

Is this sarcasm? It's hard to tell.

13 hours ago, aztech said:

Why is it that your economics degree is BS while the others on here who majored in economics are BA? 

That's a good question. I don't quite remember why Wyoming is a Science. I do know that at Wyoming economics is in the college of Business where most Universities have it in the arts and science college. We have a department of Economics and finance while other schools have a department of finance in the Business college and a department of economics in the A&S college.

B.S., civil engineering, Gonzaga - mostly structural classes

M.S., civil engineering, UW - about 60/40 between structural classes and geotech, but my research project was in structural. I don't get to call it a "thesis" because I took the credit hour graduation option.... and then wound up with a final project more time and research intensive than half my classmates' theses :shots: oh well, it made me better at every job I've had since

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

14 hours ago, robe said:

I didn't know you work in Human Resources.

110926run_defense710.jpg

4th generation USU grad.

BS in Business Economics

MS Dre's Mom's favorite sexual positions

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

4 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Some degrees are a waste of money. I will agree with that. 

idk if I would call them a waste of money. some degrees' value is not in terms of future earning, though. That's okay, I personally value lots of things highly that money doesn't, or more simply, while money is a great measurement of value it isn't perfect. it does drive me nuts when people act like just holding a master's degree entitles them to a well paying job. my man that money comes from somewhere, almost always from others without master's degrees. you have to produce enough value to have a decent paying job. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I did not. My parents are alums, and I grew up going to games. Since I'm California to the bone, I assume all Californians are required to root for the oldest public college in the state.

Fun fact... my alma UC Davis mater has beat SJSU twice. Both were devastating for me. I went to one game there while in school. It was fine, but I was too busy chasing skirts and being obnoxious to go to football games. 

I'm slowly getting into UCD sports though. I want to go to a football game next year... maybe the Causeway classic. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

23 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

The stats show that a degree, no matter which kind, pays for itself over time. People with degrees just do better in the economy. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

The stats show that a degree, no matter which kind, pays for itself over time. People with degrees just do better in the economy. 

Technically that is true, however those stats I would assume are heavily skewed by people with degrees in STEM and Business fields. 

I try to tell my daughter, and any other young people who will listen that if the outcome you want out of college is a good well paying career, your choice of major is the most important decision, even more important than where you go to college. If you are educated with an in demand skill like accounting, computer science, engineering, have good relationships with your professors, and have a good GPA you won't have to look for a good job to start off your career, the people with the good jobs will come looking for you! My daughter,  much to my chagrin is majoring in political science. :(  She is at a prestigious private college on scholarship though and wants to go to Harvard Law which I am confident she can do. 

18 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Technically that is true, however those stats I would assume are heavily skewed by people with degrees in STEM and Business fields. 

I try to tell my daughter, and any other young people who will listen that if the outcome you want out of college is a good well paying career, your choice of major is the most important decision, even more important than where you go to college. If you are educated with an in demand skill like accounting, computer science, engineering, have good relationships with your professors, and have a good GPA you won't have to look for a good job to start off your career, the people with the good jobs will come looking for you! My daughter,  much to my chagrin is majoring in political science. :(  She is at a prestigious private college on scholarship though and wants to go to Harvard Law which I am confident she can do. 

So folks should only go to college for future $$$ potential?

And if everyone became accountants or engineers, wouldn't it crater the job market for those skills?

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

I didn't know you work in Human Resources.

I get paid to express my opinions on the proper workings of a toilet and how to clean it. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

2 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

They wouldn’t allow me into BYU. Honor code or ACT scores. I can’t remember which one.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

12 minutes ago, renoskier said:

So folks should only go to college for future $$$ potential?

And if everyone became accountants or engineers, wouldn't it crater the job market for those skills?

No. If $$$ is your objective for going to college, choose your major wisely. ie, don't major in interpretive dance. 

If you go to college for non monetary reasons and want to follow your passion in performing theater, or dance, or fine arts then have at it. It is just unreasonable to expect the same financial outcome as the person who graduates with a degree in chemical engineering. 

BA: Media Studies (Basically Business Comm)

Hindsight being 2020 this was a huge mistake but at the time I thought I was headed for MLB and didn't want to wait for all of SDSU's impacted degree programs.