Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RebelRobert

UNLV Admin Incompetence

Sorry but I have to complain a little bit about UNLV administration and their terrible decision making.  It looks as though UNLV has decided to play in the new Allegiant Stadium without the end zone seating being installed in the south end zone.  This is a miserable decision because it is not only aesthetically unpleasing to look at but that is also the section where our student seating is located.  Without students sitting right on top of the field in the end zone our home field advantage will be dramatically reduced.  I feel this is a poor administrative decision and should be corrected immediately.

Take a look at what the stadium should look like, and what UNLV is actually planning as per their season ticket brochure release.

proper.stadium.seating.jpg.c23570fdfa040c19970b9c09cf59cabe.jpg

unlv_no.seats.png.81f29c12db382352513f1d023260784e.pngEry_znAUcAAuFnb.jpg.8af4252659e4cec1fabc6558da485241.jpg

Speaking of UNLV, I am curious about something:  I attended the Boise/UNLV football game in Vegas in 2019.  I was talking with some of the locals, and they basically said that Jerry Tarkanian had some kind of friction with the UNLV president of that time.  The UNLV president supposedly was jealous of Tarkanian, and he used the "leverage" of the NCAA to run the great basketball coach out of town.  Is this true or an exaggeration?

7 minutes ago, justsurvive said:

Speaking of UNLV, I am curious about something:  I attended the Boise/UNLV football game in Vegas in 2019.  I was talking with some of the locals, and they basically said that Jerry Tarkanian had some kind of friction with the UNLV president of that time.  The UNLV president supposedly was jealous of Tarkanian, and he used the "leverage" of the NCAA to run the great basketball coach out of town.  Is this true or an exaggeration?

Who cares?  Go to the library or google they have plenty of books and articles written about this for anyone still interested.

We have issues that deal with modern day and incompetence that is hindering any sort of homefield advantage in college football.

It is as if the UNLV admin doesn't realize that the goal is to have the best home environment instead of the worst.  Decisions are made which always are negative for the long term success of the athletic department.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

Sorry but I have to complain a little bit about UNLV administration and their terrible decision making.  It looks as though UNLV has decided to play in the new Allegiant Stadium without the end zone seating being installed in the south end zone.  This is a miserable decision because it is not only aesthetically unpleasing to look at but that is also the section where our student seating is located.  Without students sitting right on top of the field in the end zone our home field advantage will be dramatically reduced.  I feel this is a poor administrative decision and should be corrected immediately.

Take a look at what the stadium should look like, and what UNLV is actually planning as per their season ticket brochure release.

proper.stadium.seating.jpg.c23570fdfa040c19970b9c09cf59cabe.jpg

unlv_no.seats.png.81f29c12db382352513f1d023260784e.pngEry_znAUcAAuFnb.jpg.8af4252659e4cec1fabc6558da485241.jpg

Can you clarify.  Where are they going to put the Student section if that endzone is closed?

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Can you clarify.  Where are they going to put the Student section if that endzone is closed?

They are putting it above the removed sections.  A mile from the field.  Look at the pictures!

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

They are putting it above the removed sections.  A mile from the field.  Look at the pictures!

That is ridiculous.  I agree.  You have every reason to be annoyed.

UNLV football atmosphere is bad enough, but this almost guarantees poor student support.  Don't they realize that these football games are supposed to be fun and engage the students?  Students will need binoculars to be involved.

Your AD is a moron.

This will be the same way the ticket sales were for the '20 season.  It is more likely just budgetary than incompetence.   UNLV must pay "operating costs" for converting between UNLV turf and the roll-in Raiders grass field.  Removing and placing the temporary end zone seating is an added expense.  Eventually UNLV may sell enough tickets to justify that cost but not yet.

13 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

This makes me not feel so bad for our track between the fans and field.  Totally dumb move. 

If it were me - I'd remove all the endzone seats altogether. Not like UNLV is ever going to have more than 20k fans in that place anyway.  Boise is trying to move students to the endzones from the equivalent of C109 and C110 here.  I think that's a terrible idea as well.  Give your students good seats or you'll risk alienating a bunch of future fans and donors.

image.png.eadcc59f806c8c1a3273f8796c2cef3e.png

27 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

This will be the same way the ticket sales were for the '20 season.  It is more likely just budgetary than incompetence.   UNLV must pay "operating costs" for converting between UNLV turf and the roll-in Raiders grass field.  Removing and placing the temporary end zone seating is an added expense.  Eventually UNLV may sell enough tickets to justify that cost but not yet.

If that is the reasoning behind this it makes it even worse than incompetence.  Willfully hurting the program!

If you can't afford to play in the Raiders stadium...  PLAY AT SAM BOYD!  If you are going to play in the Raiders Stadium, do it correctly.  Amateur hour bull$hit.

Unacceptable.  Whoever approved it should be removed immediately before anymore damage is done to the athletic department.  Knowingly hurting the Football program can't be allowed.

Agreed. Keep the field level seats in and give the students sections 121-125. Unfortunately, the students won't come close to filling those sections though (except possibly for the Nevada game or a season opener against a P5), but neither will non-students....

7 minutes ago, tahoe84 said:

Agreed. Keep the field level seats in and give the students sections 121-125. Unfortunately, the students won't come close to filling those sections though (except possibly for the Nevada game or a season opener against a P5), but neither will non-students....

I think it reasonable to believe that UNLV will be able to fill all of the 100 level sections at some point with a winning program, even if that is in the lower level MWC.

I would guesstimate that the 100 level has between 20,000 to 30,000 seats but would like an actual number if anyone knows it?

UNLV should put all of the seats back in, let the students sit in the area known as the "black hole" for Raiders games and not have the student section a mile from the field.

With a winning program UNLV should be able to sell enough season tickets to sell out the 100 level completely.  Only a matter of time.

Long term an On-Campus Stadium is the only solution.  Anything else and UNLV will always be second class.  Just need an administration willing to acknowledge the facts and fix it.

40 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

If that is the reasoning behind this it makes it even worse than incompetence.  Willfully hurting the program!

If you can't afford to play in the Raiders stadium...  PLAY AT SAM BOYD!  If you are going to play in the Raiders Stadium, do it correctly.  Amateur hour bull$hit.

Unacceptable.  Whoever approved it should be removed immediately before anymore damage is done to the athletic department.  Knowingly hurting the Football program can't be allowed.

It could be more than just the cost of placing and removing the seats... there are logistics issues when there is an overnight turnaround between the UNLV field and the Raider field.  It may be part of the joint use agreement that the stands are not placed.  To place and remove the extra seating is a lot of added expense, risk, and effort on the one night stadium transitions.

Once those extra seats are needed in the 65,000 seat stadium for UNLV football then maybe a change will happen; and since it is student seating and not season tickets the university always has the option to move the seating in and move the students down.  But it is not going to be a configuration every week, it is going to depend on what else is going on in the stadium.

As for "PLAY AT SAM BOYD!".... Sam Boyd is a horseshoe-shaped stadium so there are no seats at all on that end zone.

32 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

It could be more than just the cost of placing and removing the seats... there are logistics issues when there is an overnight turnaround between the UNLV field and the Raider field.  It may be part of the joint use agreement that the stands are not placed.  To place and remove the extra seating is a lot of added expense, risk, and effort on the one night stadium transitions.

Once those extra seats are needed in the 65,000 seat stadium for UNLV football then maybe a change will happen; and since it is student seating and not season tickets the university always has the option to move the seating in and move the students down.  But it is not going to be a configuration every week, it is going to depend on what else is going on in the stadium.

As for "PLAY AT SAM BOYD!".... Sam Boyd is a horseshoe-shaped stadium so there are no seats there either.

I would rather play at Sam Boyd if they are going to nickel dime amateur hour the way they do things at Raiders Stadium.

The idea in moving to Raiders Stadium was not to replicate or intensify the mediocre environment we were leaving.  Why duplicate the open end zone from Sam Boyd?  That was always one of the worst things about that stadium and now we do the same damn thing with the new Raiders Stadium when we don't have to????

While logistical issues may exist all it takes is a will to want to do what is right, to make it happen.  Apparently UNLV does not have the appetite to make UNLV Football a priority and they obviously care nothing about the students at UNLV otherwise they wouldn't put them in the corner up in BFE.

Moving to the Raiders Stadium was the worst idea for UNLV and I said it since the 1990's.  MUNICIPAL MONSTROSITY NIGHTMARE that will only make UNLV Football worse.

UNLV administration is disgraceful if they won't put in the end zone BLACK HOLE seats for the UNLV games.  CHEAP DISGRACEFUL SCUM who have no business working at UNLV.

I don't care about the risk, effort or logistical nightmare of putting the seats in and moving them out.  Do it right or don't do it at all.  UNLV should not be treated any different from the Raiders.  What is next, certain restrooms not open.  Certain bars not open????  Certain concession stands or entrances not open???  BULL$HIT!  If UNLV allows that to happen even one time it will be devastating to the Football program.  It admits that you are inferior and don't deserve to be treated with the same respect.  You have to demand equal treatment and if even one time they try to take something away you can't allow it or it will happen OVER AND OVER again.  Look at SDSU by the end of their time at Qualcomm, treated as the lowest lifeforms on earth because they allowed that to happen over time.

If UNLV agreed to this as one of the Raiders demands, the UNLV students should demand immediate termination of whoever is running (ruining) things over there on campus.

Put the damn seats in now.  0-6 and NEVER WON A DAMN GAME in the new RAIDERS stadium .

WE OWN SAM BOYD STADIUM even though it sucks.  Better to be an owner of a dump than to have to beg to be allowed to take a piss in Raiders Stadium.

There are plenty of seats available for the students that never show up. There is always the other end zone. Maybe they’ll find the lost trunks full of the Binion silver dollars somewhere buried on campus. Other than that I would believe that the university, athletic department, most college sports programs, cities, states and businesses are trying to figure out how to stay operational after what will be 18 months of lock downs. 

Unlike the movies this one states if they come we will build it. That said moving the student section up to the next level is unacceptable. There will be  plenty of seats available. Even at the SBSB we only had seating in one end zone so move the students to the other end zone. They will only need a few sections at best.

4 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

There are plenty of seats available for the students that never show up. There is always the other end zone. Maybe they’ll find the lost trunks full of the Binion silver dollars somewhere buried on campus. Other than that I would believe that the university, athletic department, most college sports programs, cities, states and businesses are trying to figure out how to stay operational after what will be 18 months of lock downs. 

Unlike the movies this one states if they come we will build it. That said moving the student section up to the next level is unacceptable. There will be  plenty of seats available. Even at the SBSB we only had seating in one end zone so move the students to the other end zone. They will only need a few sections at best.

They already sold season tickets in the other end zone!

Students belong in the South End Zone where the Raiders have the BLACK HOLE.  That is the UNLV Student section and where it belongs!

The answer is NOT complicated.  PUT IN THE DAMN SEATS for the student section.

UNLV gets paid to play in the Raiders Stadium.  THEY PAY US not to play at Sam Boyd Stadium.  PUT ALL THE SEATS IN and don't accept 2nd class citizenship.

The 100 level will get full once UNLV wins.  Students deserve the entire section in the south end zone.  Not putting in the seats sends a message that UNLV is inferior.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

That is ridiculous.  I agree.  You have every reason to be annoyed.

UNLV football atmosphere is bad enough, but this almost guarantees poor student support.  Don't they realize that these football games are supposed to be fun and engage the students?  Students will need binoculars to be involved.

Your AD is a moron.

UNLV's sports administration has historically been as bad as any in the conference and for the last decade or so it's been the worst.

Abysmal is not too strong a word for it.

Although this photo shows the end zone seating in place while the UNLV turf is in, it appears that the removable seating is typically stored outside the stadium, south of the Raiders turf, so typically it would be deployed in after the Raiders turf and removed before the Raiders turf can be moved out.

SeatsRebels.PNG

19 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Although this photo shows the end zone seating in place while the UNLV turf is in, it appears that the removable seating is typically stored outside the stadium, south of the Raiders turf, so typically it would be deployed in after the Raiders turf and removed before the Raiders turf can be moved out.

SeatsRebels.PNG

Are you saying that they built the stadium and are unable to get the seats inside when the turf is out?  Please tell me you are joking if this is what you mean.

They can’t put the end zone seats in with the grass outside???

How did they take the picture if what you are saying is true?