Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Cancel Culture is the Child of Money is Speech

6 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

No, you compared it to dropping sexual predators. It's almost as if you're arguing in bad faith here.

That's the most "cancellation" that I've seen. So... it's what I'm using. When I hear "oh is so and so cancelled?" it usually means "oh does so and so have fairly credible rape allegations?" 

The state was the mechanism to 'out' the people. The industry did the black listing. Yes, the state actions to do that made it worse. Its contemptible. But the careers were ruined by their peers more than by the state. 

I disagree with this take. The state reaction and the industry reaction were intertwined wholly. No HUAC, no blacklisting. No blacklisting with HUAC, however, and I don't see a case where the state remains content with little to now action. 

You seem to be arguing that blacklists are ok as long as they are private, and using an example of sexual predators as the representative for all people who lose their jobs or a spot alin a college. Again, doesn't seem to me like you're arguing in good faith here. 

Oh, and I was ok with that dipshit at google getting fired for his dumb screed about diversity training a few yesda back. See? Not that hard to have a complicated position.

What blacklists are you seeing, though? I'm seeing "someone's actions, as publicized on social media, cause consequences". That's not "Smltw N. Rckr of Valley City, California can no longer have any work published, as an agreement by a trust of the 5 publishers and distributors of any content in the country". 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

9 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

No. Its stupid. It's the reason smart guys like @happycamper get mad at me for my position. Guys like tucker and charlie Kirk have poisoned the well.

fascists tend to do that

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

14 minutes ago, happycamper said:

That's the most "cancellation" that I've seen. So... it's what I'm using. When I hear "oh is so and so cancelled?" it usually means "oh does so and so have fairly credible rape allegations?" 

I disagree with this take. The state reaction and the industry reaction were intertwined wholly. No HUAC, no blacklisting. No blacklisting with HUAC, however, and I don't see a case where the state remains content with little to now action. 

What blacklists are you seeing, though? I'm seeing "someone's actions, as publicized on social media, cause consequences". That's not "Smltw N. Rckr of Valley City, California can no longer have any work published, as an agreement by a trust of the 5 publishers and distributors of any content in the country". 

Fair that im not saying that its exactly the same blacklists. I'm using that as a comparison... people having extrajudicial consequences, in their professional and personal lives, due to the enforcement of norms by people who are deemed to be the authority on morality. It makes for a more puritanical approach to speech. 

A good example is the girl that was told by u of tenesee to not come because soem dude who didnt like her posted her saying the n word when she was 15. There are many examples of people being unreasonably punished for stupid mistakes... I would bet more than overt racists or sexists getting their just desserts.

There are people i work with who would demand I get kicked out of my program and never published for publically stating some of the more mild takes i have on here. And there are right wing constituents who would donthe same. That is absolutely true.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

25 minutes ago, happycamper said:

fascists tend to do that

Dont mean it's bad for the trains to run on time.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I want Hitler and gulag emojis.

I'm trying to figure out what a gulag emoji would look like. 

A hitler button, on the other hand... that's easy.

NINTCHDBPICT000517308096.jpg

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm trying to figure out what a gulag emoji would look like. 

A hitler button, on the other hand... that's easy.

NINTCHDBPICT000517308096.jpg

1 hour ago, HR_Poke said:

image.png.f96a65294f4fd4ea7dae4ad863ba695d.png

If I could make specific ones only for the OT forum I would definitely add these. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 hours ago, toonkee said:

If you want the market forces to rule all systems, you literally want people to vote with their dollars, so do not cry when your speech becomes a bad business decision.     

I do not like cancel culture for the record. It's unstable and dumb, but you get what you pay for. 

I think it’s the mobs way of extra-judicial punishment.   I think allowing it to continue is a sure way to eliminate a large number of our freedoms.   I have long been opposed to people not at the C Level or public spokespeople from being fired for not work related actions or speech.  

6 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

It's basically just another person trying to figure out a way to justify the speech suppression by Big Tech that we are currently seeing.

You know... Democrats trying to explain why censorship is a good thing.

This is completely wrong.  It’s no less correct to dictate to private entities their terms of service. 

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

This is completely wrong.  It’s no less correct to dictate to private entities their terms of service. 

LOGIC:

We shouldn't regulate the tailpipe emissions of car companies, because....they are private companies.   They should be allowed to set their terms of service.   If you don't like a car polluting, then go to a different car company.

We shouldn't regulate chemical companies and industry....they are private companies.  They should be allowed to set their terms of service.   If you are unhappy that they are putting chemicals in your food, then buy different food. 

Guest #1Stunner
6 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

LOL. The GOP is still leading the pack on this one even if Democrats are gaining on them. 

Big Tech (which Democrats are cheering on) is censoring Republicans.....we all see it.   (Quick.... think of a Whataboutism about Republicans doing worse....)

It is sad that the Democrats (who used to be for free expression and speech) are now cheerleading censorship because they think it helps them politically. 

The board is now loaded with Democrats who are cheering on Big Tech stopping view points  (Dove'ish Ron Paul is dangerous...thank you for banning him Big Tech)

"We cannot risk letting unpopular people persuade people with opinions we don't like...."  --- Democrats 2021

#Danger #DomesticTerrorism #WordViolence

Guest #1Stunner

Close the loophole!!!

MEDIA:

Google / Apple, we demand that you ban all podcasts from Republicans.

Banning opinions we don't like is a matter of National Security on the War against Terrorism.

7 hours ago, toonkee said:

The market right now is saying it's bad business to host, promote or entertain certain speech.  So market forces or nah?

Our society and legal systems are structured so that money determines the value and power of everything.  Maybe we need to change that if we don't want the market to regulate our liberal values, as Lawlor put it.  

This was always going to be the case with CU, that's why I have never had a problem with it. Corporations have and always will have to check themselves.

Only closely held corps will be able to risk potential fallout of taking a stand. 

16 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

There’s quite a difference between I don’t want to associate with this person and I’m going to make a point to make sure nobody can associate with this person. One is freedom, the other is an unrepentant asshole that may even be oblivious as to how gaping they are.

Not really. Cancel culture has always been with us. We use to call it  a "Bad review",  same thing.

Guest #1Stunner

The new effort to stop speech they don't like.  

We apparently new NEW, ADDITIONAL laws?  I guess the ones one books aren't strong enough?

What new crimes do we need to create?