Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Gay couple leaves California for better living in Trump country

16 minutes ago, renoskier said:

It shows almost a 50/50 split overall but no single group with more than 37% :shrug:

Does not compute.

Two separate data sets in one graph. One is total people who want urban vs suburban/rural which is 50/50. The other further divides that group between democrats and republicans. Democrats prefer urban, Republicans prefer rural/suburban.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

That graph makes no sense.

Not the best visual from Pew Research.

"Conservative" and "Mod/Lib" are subcategories under "Rep/Lean Rep" and "Dem/Lean Dem"

"Mod/Lib" Republicans are separate from "Mod/Lib" Dems.

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I would be curious to see what the breakdown is if you account for family size. I’m guessing single people are an overwhelming lean towards preferring dense neighborhoods. I’d guess childless couples lean towards dense neighborhoods as well, although I could see that preference declining with age. My guess is also that the more kids a couple has the more strongly they prefer  larger houses that are further apart. 

I agree.

I see the appeal of suburbs for working class families. Suburbs gain (more) problems as they grow and sprawl though. 

If telecommuting takes off, I wonder if it makes some families opt for rural life over the suburbs

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

California cities need to be building up not out, like NYC does. 

In Ventura County, they have a limited encroachment agreement (SOAR) for maintaining farmland (strawberry country), yet they still have height restrictions in some cities. Oxnard refuses to go up (even though they have two towers) and open up space that could help widen roads for the new population, just a bunch of 4 story apartments crammed together with the same crap roads and worsening traffic. Now they are encroaching more of the wilderness in a Santa Ana fire hellscape. 

I guess the short answer is I agree. lol

15 hours ago, renoskier said:

It shows almost a 50/50 split overall but no single group with more than 37% :shrug:

Does not compute.

I just realized that the graphic in the embedded tweet is cut off. Here's the whole graphic, which makes more sense. 

Er9pG9SXEAEekrz?format=png&name=small

3 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

I just realized that the graphic in the embedded tweet is cut off. Here's the whole graphic, which makes more sense. 

Er9pG9SXEAEekrz?format=png&name=small

Let’s be honest. Everyone is for affordable housing and shelters and such until there’s a proposal for it to be in your backyard. Then... there a problem. It’s like Verdi. “It was okay when I built my home here but the growth is destroying the charm!”

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

Let’s be honest. Everyone is for affordable housing and shelters and such until there’s a proposal for it to be in your backyard. Then... there a problem. It’s like Verdi. “It was okay when I built my home here but the growth is destroying the charm!”

That approach drives me crazy. When I lived in NW Reno, there was a large piece of property that someone bought and was going to build a senior housing project, for which the property had been zoned for decades. The neighbors (including my wife at the time) grabbed their pitchfork and had meetings with city councilmen to express their disgust. After badgering me to share my opinion, I told them that we all had built homes on that street that ruined the view of a guy who had been there since the 60's and that the land was always zoned for that. I was immediately ostracized and the neighbors stopped speaking to me, which was a real coup on my part. Things couldn't have worked out any better! For me. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

On one of the Vegas subreddits once I saw someone ranting about people from out of state moving in and “gentrifying” parts of Vegas. He began his rant by mentioning he moved to Vegas about 10 years ago from out of state, and he was ranting unironically.  

On 1/13/2021 at 5:52 PM, robe said:

https://news.yahoo.com/california-exodus-retirees-musicians-teachers-140059951.html

Californians leaving for Trump country. Gay couple. “Quality of life is so much better and I wouldn’t have believed it but they are actually more tolerant than California” 

thank goodness most you don’t have the ability to leave the hell hole that California is now. If you do move to a red state just don’t vote. You already destroyed the greatest state in America don’t destroy anymore. 

Caliphobia: It's a virulent disease