Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Gay couple leaves California for better living in Trump country

10 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Certainly it depends on where they land in a red state. If they end up in a populace environ that tends towards open mindedness, they should be fine. If they end up in more rural areas, yeah, nor good for them. The red states simply have fewer areas of acceptance. That doesn't mean they don't have any.

But they will never enjoy acceptance at a state legislature level. They will always be marginalized outside a potential bubble.of acceptance. 

Been to Boise and I have no doubt that a gay couple would be accepted in the City proper. Anywhere else in Idaho would be an issue.

As a non anglo, I can tell you I've been heckled at more in the very liberal town of Durango than I have in the redneck part of NM just to the south. Racism/discrimination occurs everywhere. Some people are just smug and think others are less evolved than they are.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

It is incredibly ignorant to speak so generally of a place, using negative stereotypes based on how a majority of a state's residents vote to characterize thousands or even millions of people. You're absolutely right, it is ridiculous. I've always found it remarkable how those who speak such ignorance don't recognize it in themselves.

You mean like having severe CDS!? :rolleyes:

On 1/14/2021 at 12:06 AM, WAC_FAN said:

So here's the thing.  The reason they are moving out of California is that their money goes so much further in Arkansas (and most red states), they are practically millionaires.  It's like people in the US who retire to live in another country because their money just goes way further.  They were successful in California.  CA still has a net more people moving in and out.

Also why you have liberals moving to blue cities in red states. 

The growth rate for CA fell to .05%...the lowest since 1900. I wouldn't be surprised if next year's figures (calculated from July 2020 to July 2021) shows a net loss for the first time. 

46 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

The growth rate for CA fell to .05%...the lowest since 1900. I wouldn't be surprised if next year's figures (calculated from July 2020 to July 2021) shows a net loss for the first time. 

Lol, 4 of the top 5 least affordable cities to own a home in the US are in CA. Top 5 from a recent list. SF/SJ/LA/NYC/SD. 

Also, there isn't a single city in CA cracking the top 50 list for new home building. IOW, California is not affordable and until it is growth will be relatively flat. 

CA IS FULL PLEASE RETURN TO YOUR STATE OF ORIGIN

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

Lol, 4 of the top 5 least affordable cities to own a home in the US are in CA. Top 5 from a recent list. SF/SJ/LA/NYC/SD. 

Also, there isn't a single city in CA cracking the top 50 list for new home building. IOW, California is not affordable and until it is growth will be relatively flat. 

California cities need to be building up not out, like NYC does. 

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

California cities need to be building up not out, like NYC does. 

If there was a time to build a bunch of high rise residential buildings in California, it probably wouldn’t be during a broad shift away from large office buildings in downtown areas of big cities. 

2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

NEVER!!

13 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I would have agreed with this 100% last year at this time.  Now I don't really have an opinion until we see how a post COVID world impacts needs with the work from home boom.

Should be interesting. I'm of the belief that things return to normal, more or less. 

I'd prefer working from home and being in a walkable area near amenities. I used to live in an area where everything I needed was within a 10 minute walk. I had a lake, parks, gym, grocery store, restaurants, and an NBA court nearby. I'd always get a crazy number of steps per day

21 minutes ago, Maji said:

I would be curious to see what the breakdown is if you account for family size. I’m guessing single people are an overwhelming lean towards preferring dense neighborhoods. I’d guess childless couples lean towards dense neighborhoods as well, although I could see that preference declining with age. My guess is also that the more kids a couple has the more strongly they prefer  larger houses that are further apart. 

25 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

While we may disagree about some sports or political topics,  your appreciation of Tolkien and South Park means you are a man of great sophistication.

The truth is I'm very liberal(obvi), but I associate with lots of Libertarians for some reason. Either the circles I have run in or I am more open minded then others...this is a chat board where I come to be challenged in my beliefs and willfully challenge others. Hell we might all learn something. 

Just now, AztecSU said:

The truth is I'm very liberal, but I associate with lots of Libertarians for some reason. Either the circles I have run in or I am more open minded then others...this is a chat board where I come to be challenged in my beliefs and willfully challenge others. Hell we might all learn something. 

This really is the last best place on the internet.  It's the Rivendale of message boards.

28 minutes ago, renoskier said:

That graph makes no sense.

At the very least, the graph doesn't jive with the headline. There is a 9 point difference between conservatives and liberals....6 points between lean rep and liberals. Seems like most people are about on the same page. The question raised in the tweet though surely doesn't take into account what people want and what they are willing to sacrifice to get there. I think living in a dense, walkable area sounds great, but to get there, most people would have to do a serious lifestyle purge and get ride of tons of stuff. I made the move from the burbs to the city about four years ago, but I was helped along by Hurricane Harvey getting rid of stuff for me....it was actually quite liberating. 

Just now, Slapdad said:

At the very least, the graph doesn't jive with the headline. There is a 9 point difference between conservatives and liberals....6 points between lean rep and liberals. Seems like most people are about on the same page. The question raised in the tweet though surely doesn't take into account what people want and what they are willing to sacrifice to get there. I think living in a dense, walkable area sounds great, but to get there, most people would have to do a serious lifestyle purge and get ride of tons of stuff. I made the move from the burbs to the city about four years ago, but I was helped along by Hurricane Harvey getting rid of stuff for me....it was actually quite liberating. 

It shows almost a 50/50 split overall but no single group with more than 37% :shrug:

Does not compute.