Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akkula

Did the 2A Blow up In our Faces?

Just now, UNLV2001 said:

That's a law that I bet they ignore without much thought - these guys gun need is right there with food & water 

I’m sure they’ll ignore it and then go back to prison. It’ll be great. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

I’m sure they’ll ignore it and then go back to prison. It’ll be great. 

Let's hope - But that's one of those laws where the guy has to be found to have the guns & do something to find that out........so if the guy lays low, there's no reason for LE to even know he'd have the guns 

25 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

No.....and the seditionists said as much publicly multiple times 

My hope id that now with the added barriers, limited access & other provisions .....along with the show of force already on-site, that maybe it lessens the urge for the seditionists to take action........could see some going ahead, as they seem hell bent to start some sort of fire fight regardless ........but maybe some that have families & some brains will think again before joining in 

I think some of the state capitols are were the trouble might occur as I don't think the overall defensive presence is close to the situation in DC 

But part of the culture of the 2A militants is they feel it exists to overthrow a government they do not agree with. It doesn't address a situation where they are terribly wrong. That scares the shit out of me. The people with the most guns are always right? Even if it results in facism?

Guess it is just time for the "Libs" to get their 2A on (and by "Libs" I mean people who actually care about the Constitution and our democratic republic).

Where's the wall of gun toting Libertarians? @BSUTOP25

18 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Let's hope - But that's one of those laws where the guy has to be found to have the guns & do something to find that out........so if the guy lays low, there's no reason for LE to even know he'd have the guns 

Not without a national registry... hmmmm....

10 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

But part of the culture of the 2A militants is they feel it exists to overthrow a government they do not agree with. It doesn't address a situation where they are terribly wrong. That scares the shit out of me. The people with the most guns are always right? Even if it results in facism?

Guess it is just time for the "Libs" to get their 2A on (and by "Libs" I mean people who actually care about the Constitution and our democratic republic).

Where's the wall of gun toting Libertarians? 

There are lot's of "libs" with guns.......just seems the left doesn't fetishize guns like the right, where the gun literally becomes an essential part of their lives & they have to advertise their gun lust at all times ......Now i could see the right gun fetishists hoarding guns where others might "collect" old arms, or a few, but not have the armory of a infantry squad all located in one trailer - I mean, so a guy has 32 guns, he can only shoot one or two at a time so the other 30 guns are out of play (unless it's a barricade situation) 

15 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Where's the wall of gun toting Libertarians? @BSUTOP25

Don’t be an ass. You’re better than this.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

51 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Let me sooth the gun fetishists angst over any threads that question any aspect of the beloved 2nd Amendment with the beauty of this clock !! 

Behold the glorious time piece that will warm the cocked shells of any firearm enthusiasts heart !!

For we all know the time may come when you need some ammo & mark the exact time you needed it !! :USFlag:

Looks like a circle jerk flipping you the bird.

17 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Don’t be an ass. You’re better than this.

I'm really not. 

happy game of thrones GIF

So how do you square the 2A right to keep the gov't in check with the right to perform an armed insurrection against the government in order to install fascism?

We just gonna Red Dawn it with the true American loving true believers waiting it out for the fascists to come knocking?

I honestly consider you to be one of the foremost intellectual voices on this board regarding 2A. In fact you are singularly one of the reasons I have respected 2A previously (despite my continual gut feeling that the 2Aneeds to be abolished which was amplified by multiple people I know being scarred, both physically and mentally, by the events of 1October wherein a gun fetishist nut job deployed a personal arsenal on a Vegas concert). Help me come to terms with this. I really am trying to approach this neutrally. You can dismiss that and tell me to piss off. That would be easiest, but "you're better than that."

What if the vast majority of gun owners, by volume, are just flat +++++ing wrong? What is the redress? How does the country survive that?

7 hours ago, RSF said:

The actual number is a range - 500k TO 3 million a year per the Heritage Foundation, while a 5 year statistical study by the DOJ puts it at less than 100k.

Just shhhh.  This study estimates 2.2-2.5 million times a year a gun is used in self defense.  @Akkula is pro rape, though.

https://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=6853&context=jclc

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I'm really not. 

happy game of thrones GIF

So how do you square the 2A right to keep the gov't in check with the right to perform an armed insurrection against the government in order to install fascism?

We just gonna Red Dawn it with the true American loving true believers waiting it out for the fascists to come knocking?

I honestly consider you to be one of the foremost intellectual voices on this board regarding 2A. In fact you are singularly one of the reasons I have respected 2A previously. Help me come to terms with this. I really am trying to approach this neutrally. You can dismiss that and tell me to piss off. That would be easiest, but "you're better than that."

What if the vast majority of gun owners, by volume, are just flat +++++ing wrong? What is the redress? How does the country survive that?

Biggest issue I see with the 2-A is that when it was written the army had the same guns as the populace ......and except for some cannons, it was the ol' jam & ram guns right thru the civil war......after that the separation between the public armaments & the military separated .........so if these Unregulated domestic terrorist groups (they are not militia's) then i'll take the drones, helicopters, artillery & whatever else the US military has that would wipe these domestic terrorist out inside 20 minutes from a console chair at Creech AFB in Indian Springs & get Olive Garden on the drive home 

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Biggest issue I see with the 2-A is that when it was written the army had the same guns as the populace ......and except for some cannons, it was the ol' jam & ram guns right thru the civil war......after that the separation between the public armaments & the military separated .........so if these Unregulated domestic terrorist groups (they are not militia's) then i'll take the drones, helicopters, artillery & whatever else the US military has that would wipe these domestic terrorist out inside 20 minutes from a console chair at Creech AFB in Indian Springs & get Olive Garden on the drive home 

So the answer is that for all intents and purposes, in today's military reality, the 2A is irrelevant. Cool. Why do we still have it then? Why give the fascist militants philosophical ammo? Cause it has been around a long time? Cause it would be important if the right people with the right ideals were adherents? Cause it gives us woodys to think we could overthrow the wrong government? Cool. What if they support the wrong government?

27 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Do you think this country survives if predator drones are available to the public and political donations are public record? These militia groups could theoretically target ‘the libs’. But my 2A rights!

4 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

So the answer is that for all intents and purposes, in today's military reality, the 2A is irrelevant. Cool. Why do we still have it then? Why give the fascist militants philosophical ammo? Cause it has been around a long time? Cause it would be important if the right people with the right ideals were adherents? Cause it gives us woodys to think we could overthrow the wrong government? Cool. What if they support the wrong government?

@A is too ingrained in American culture, especially since the recent turn of the NRA from gun safety & advocacy into a fear-mongering propaganda outlet for gun fetishists.........was a time as the USA moved from being the "wild frontier" into urban civilization that gun ownership or even the required need for a gun was naturally reduced & was mainly left ti rural folks & hunting sportsmen.......I recall as a kid in Reno knowing fiends & fathers who'd hunt & had the hunting guns, but I never saw the fetishization of their guns to the point they had to wear "tough guy" T-shirts & emblazon their vehicles with pro-gun idiocy stickers.

Something got into the NRA & their fan base from the 1990's on, to the point it became a haven of glorifying guns - Was a time in even into the 1980's where the NRA helped write gun laws........then by a decade later they morphed into a "they are coming for your guns" propaganda outlet for pushing guns on people just like the drug dealer pushed drugs ........guns have, for some, become an addiction & an aspect of their lives to where their guns literally define their very being

Dodge City banned guns in the 1880's & not sure there was an armed standoff by gun fetish cowboys standing around to prove their point by looking like Pancho Villa 

Pancho Villa & Other Stories — Phillip Rodriguez

I own guns. I like shooting guns, it’s fun. I support the 2nd Amendment. I probably support it even more after our recent brush with an authoritarian regime. That said, I’ve always chuckled at the rhetoric that says, “We need guns so we can over throw a tyrannical government.”

Ok. I’m with you. But let’s acknowledge a few sobering truths:

1. The government has drones, tanks, missiles, etc. Persistent overhead satellite surveillance. You’ve got an uphill battle there to say the least.

2. What’s your definition of a “tyrannical government”? Because, I see a lot of people claiming the difference between a marginal tax rate of 35% and 38.5% is tyrannical. That gay marriage is tyrannical. That masks are tyrannical. That losing an election is tyrannical.

One person’s “freedom fighter” is another person’s “terrorist”. Go ahead, punish those “evil gubmint stooges”. If you succeed and kill a bunch of them, it’s a hell of a lot more likely your reward will be a 5x8 cage followed by lethal injection, than it is a marble statue in the hall of heroes. 

I think guns are kinda like owning a Harley.  It is like some kind of hyper masculine phallic symbol to impress everyone.  It can also be a lot fun to talk about you gun/Harley and play with it on the weekends.  I get it...these are fun toys.

The difference between a Harley and a gun is that if you go completely use or abuse your Harley the only one likely getting hurt is you and your Harley.  There isn't that much collateral damage. 

Secondly, when you have decided to live in a Democracy or in a civilization in general the first thing you are supposed to do is turn in your guns and submit to the Democratic process.  The way we solve things in a democracy is exchanging votes for bullets.  

IMO, the people who have amassed the most guns in this country are okay with Democracy as long as it goes how they want it to go.  They have gone through a collective freak out now that a Black man was president and NOW black votes have put their racist messiah out of office.  

The idea that somehow your small arms are going to help you overthrow the government is a bit silly unless we see what we are seeing today with the military and police standing down in the face of the seditionists and also being infiltrated by white power.  If the military REALLY got involved opposition they would be crushed.  

Many of the people I see with worshiping guns really more remind me of those old pictures of the gun worshipping lynch mobs hanging black people.  All those folks had guns and they were preying on those who didn't.  The "gun culture" seems to have become a combination of racism, toxic masculinity, and sedition.  The people who have had the least to fear and who have experienced the least oppression seem to be the ones who love the guns the most.  Their ethos seems to be more to PRESERVE the existing order more than defending themselves.  Historically civilian ownership of firearms to prevent "tyrannical government" has been defying government and using firearms to catch run away slaves and enforce jim crow.  They have been used by vigilantes, used to terrorize minority poplulations, and for extrajudicial killings of political enemies.  

So, yes, when you put the firearm as the solution to "tyrannical government" that begs the question, who gets to decide what that means?  In our case we have a democratically and constitutionally elected government who is seen as a tyrannical government whose Trumps, "2A People" are being called upon to confront.  

Now there are a whole range of things that can be debated without banning all guns but the status quo isn't really going to work.  It is also clear that the people with gun fetishes have taken a stance that there cannot be ANY new laws or ANY change to ANYTHING related to firearms.   This is as untenable an obstructionist as anything Mitch McConnell is doing.  And when you are not willing to sit down and even admit there is a problem you end up getting steamrolled by Democracy like Mitch is about to.  

The rights of citizens not to have their government overthrown or their lives ended in a mass shooting are also part of the equation.  If you continue to act like these guys it will be at your own peril

See No Evil News GIF

Posted Image

5 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

2A is also a right to self defense.  I've proved this over and over again.

5 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Do you think this country survives if predator drones are available to the public and political donations are public record? These militia groups could theoretically target ‘the libs’. But my 2A rights!

Reductio ad absurdum.  Do better.

37 minutes ago, Akkula said:

I think guns are kinda like owning a Harley.  It is like some kind of hyper masculine phallic symbol to impress everyone.  It can also be a lot fun to talk about you gun/Harley and play with it on the weekends.  I get it...these are fun toys.

The difference between a Harley and a gun is that if you go completely use or abuse your Harley the only one likely getting hurt is you and your Harley.  There isn't that much collateral damage. 

Secondly, when you have decided to live in a Democracy or in a civilization in general the first thing you are supposed to do is turn in your guns and submit to the Democratic process.  The way we solve things in a democracy is exchanging votes for bullets.  

IMO, the people who have amassed the most guns in this country are okay with Democracy as long as it goes how they want it to go.  They have gone through a collective freak out now that a Black man was president and NOW black votes have put their racist messiah out of office.  

The idea that somehow your small arms are going to help you overthrow the government is a bit silly unless we see what we are seeing today with the military and police standing down in the face of the seditionists and also being infiltrated by white power.  If the military REALLY got involved opposition they would be crushed.  

Many of the people I see with worshiping guns really more remind me of those old pictures of the gun worshipping lynch mobs hanging black people.  All those folks had guns and they were preying on those who didn't.  The "gun culture" seems to have become a combination of racism, toxic masculinity, and sedition.  The people who have had the least to fear and who have experienced the least oppression seem to be the ones who love the guns the most.  Their ethos seems to be more to PRESERVE the existing order more than defending themselves.  Historically civilian ownership of firearms to prevent "tyrannical government" has been defying government and using firearms to catch run away slaves and enforce jim crow.  They have been used by vigilantes, used to terrorize minority poplulations, and for extrajudicial killings of political enemies.  

So, yes, when you put the firearm as the solution to "tyrannical government" that begs the question, who gets to decide what that means?  In our case we have a democratically and constitutionally elected government who is seen as a tyrannical government whose Trumps, "2A People" are being called upon to confront.  

Now there are a whole range of things that can be debated without banning all guns but the status quo isn't really going to work.  It is also clear that the people with gun fetishes have taken a stance that there cannot be ANY new laws or ANY change to ANYTHING related to firearms.   This is as untenable an obstructionist as anything Mitch McConnell is doing.  And when you are not willing to sit down and even admit there is a problem you end up getting steamrolled by Democracy like Mitch is about to.  

The rights of citizens not to have their government overthrown or their lives ended in a mass shooting are also part of the equation.  If you continue to act like these guys it will be at your own peril

See No Evil News GIF

2A is a right to self defense.

Just because you like women weak and vulnerable, does not mean they all like that too.