Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorCalCoug

BSU & SDSU to the AAC???

2 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Yeah I am sure the ACC can’t wait to add those lovely aluminum bleachers

It is on campus.  I was a season ticket holder at Sam Boyd for years.  I enjoyed watching MWC games there.  Seen TCU, Boise, SDSU, CSU, etc.  Not exactly Allegiant Stadium.

Just now, Memphis Yankee said:

It is on campus.  I was a season ticket holder at Sam Boyd for years.  I enjoyed watching MWC games there.  Seen TCU, Boise, SDSU, CSU, etc.  Not exactly Allegiant Stadium.

They are a high school team in high school stadium that nobody ever heard of and you are drooling like a silly school girl.

2 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

They are a high school team in high school stadium that nobody ever heard of and you are drooling like a silly school girl.

Dude, I've lived in Vegas for 30 years.  Been a season ticket holder in FB and BB.  Gave to the scholarship fund.  Business purposes mainly.  I had a hard time giving away tickets and they were right behind Gucci row.  You'd need a shoe horn to squeeze more fans into a UCF game.

Look, I want UNLV to get an invite for selfish reasons.  I've been pimping for them and Nevada.  But let's be honest.  UNLV has been pretty disappointing for 30 years.  A good night at a basketball game there was over 4000.  It's a transient city.  They'll follow the team when they're winning as casual fans, but will disappear when they're losing.  It is what it is.  Having the Raiders and the Golden Knights won't help things either.

2 minutes ago, Memphis Yankee said:

Dude, I've lived in Vegas for 30 years.  Been a season ticket holder in FB and BB.  Gave to the scholarship fund.  Business purposes mainly.  I had a hard time giving away tickets and they were right behind Gucci row.  You'd need a shoe horn to squeeze more fans into a UCF game.

Look, I want UNLV to get an invite for selfish reasons.  I've been pimping for them and Nevada.  But let's be honest.  UNLV has been pretty disappointing for 30 years.  A good night at a basketball game there was over 4000.  It's a transient city.  They'll follow the team when they're winning as casual fans, but will disappear when they're losing.  It is what it is.  Having the Raiders and the Golden Knights won't help things either.

UCF is garbage as is the rest of the AAC.  Anyone pimping those lowlifes has no business commenting on UNLV nor would I respond to the nonsense.B3A58095-ABE7-41A6-B18E-442A1AB36160.jpeg.e201ee516e155748028815a7f65fbc72.jpeg

1 minute ago, RebelRobert said:

UCF is garbage as is the rest of the AAC.  Anyone pimping those lowlifes has no business commenting on UNLV nor would I respond to the nonsense.B3A58095-ABE7-41A6-B18E-442A1AB36160.jpeg.e201ee516e155748028815a7f65fbc72.jpeg

You know what's funny?  Tulsa fans act the same way you do on our site.  Must be something with the water in Oklahoma.

52 minutes ago, TheDogSnake said:

It always amuses me that Colorado St gets included in the expansion talk.  They literally haven't done squat conference wise since the conference last expanded in 2012 and 2013.  Here are the records of the teams and appearances in the championship games since 2012:

Football                             Basketball                    Totals

Appear   Titles                  Appear  Titles                A      T

SDSU               2        2                            7            1                  9       3

Boise St           5        3                            0             0                 5       3

Fresno St         4        2                            1             1                 5       3

New Mexico    0        0                            4             3                 4       3

Utah St            1        0                            2             2                 3       2

Wyoming        1        0                            1             1                 2       1 

San Jose St      1        1                            0             0                 1       1

Nevada            0        0                            1             1                 1       1

Air Force(F), Hawaii(F), UNLV(BB) and Colorado St(BB) all have 1 appearance and lost in the title game.

Ironically, only 2 schools have won a Football and Basketball title in that time frame, SDSU and Fresno St!

Obviously market size and facilities play a role but results also should too!  Just thought I'd present this, so have at it!  LOL

Boise has a regular season Basketball title.  Regular seasons is always more impressive IMO than getting hot for 3 games.

2 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Of any G5 if there’s one school that should move up to the P5 it’s UCF. 

Unless you consider that it's located in the same state as three P5 schools with rich athletic histories and rabid fan bases since if I'm not mistaken they've all won multiple football national championships and that UCF is located in a city of less than 300K population.

7 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Oh Hell, what is he supposed to say? And what have I said this whole time? "It's either all sports or nothing." His comments are shallow. He even admitted he has talks with people. If anything he admitted it was all true.

He spoke in language one would expect of an AD.  But IMO it is what he, and the author Mark Zeigler, didn't say which is telling.

Wicker: "Even if this was something we wanted to look to do or were interested in doing, it’s a nonstarter because we can’t put all our teams in the American and there’s no viable alternative on the West Coast for the rest of our teams (if football went to the AAC).” 

No viable alternatives?  The WCC, Big Sky or WAC weren't seen as legit possibilities for their other sports?  

Zeigler: "The Big West would be a better fit for SDSU in sports like baseball, soccer and volleyball, reducing travel with most of the conference in Southern California. But there’s no guarantee it would expand to include SDSU..."

What Zeigler didn't say:  ...Because UC San Diego is there now.  

I read Wicker's comments as both explicitly saying those other conferences were never real options, and implicitly acknowledging UCSD's presence removed the Aztecs' safety net.  So they're stuck here for the time being.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Yep. Has to be an all-sport invite or there has to be a new conference formed which won't happen. I don't even know if there is enough schools to form a new conference for all sports minus football.

JD Wicker shot down the "all-sport invite" option as well.  If I were a cynical person, I'd say he's trying to get the AAC or Boise State to pony up more money for SDSU to help make Boise State's dreams come true, but he's actually a pretty stand-up guy so I take him at his word.

“Even if this was something we wanted to look to do or were interested in doing, it’s a nonstarter because we can’t put all our teams in the American and there’s no viable alternative on the West Coast for the rest of our teams (if football went to the AAC).”

11 hours ago, Memphis Yankee said:

I've not heard any interest regarding Utah State or Wyoming.  BYU is who they really want.  Here's link with Commissioner Mike Aresco and BYU.  Pretty interesting.

Guy looks like Mr Magoo.

Acts like PT Barnum.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

MY suggestion on this is the following Eastern and Western divisions - but the MWC teams should not join the AAC unless it is ALL sports - not just football.

AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE
EASTERN DIVISION

Cincinnati

East Carolina

Memphis

Temple

Tulane

U.C.F.

U.S.F.

WESTERN DIVISION

Air Force

Boise State

Houston

Navy

S.M.U.

Tulsa

U.N.L.V. or Colorado State or Fresno State (one of these three)

Navy in the West Division because Air Force and Navy have to play each other every year.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

Guy looks like Mr Magoo.

Acts like PT Barnum.

yes, he's a smart nerd who worked at ESPN/CBS before the AAC hired him and he looks the part.

yes, a smart carnival barker is what G5 conferences need to be heard.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

5 hours ago, Koji Vu said:

JD Wicker shot down the "all-sport invite" option as well.  If I were a cynical person, I'd say he's trying to get the AAC or Boise State to pony up more money for SDSU to help make Boise State's dreams come true, but he's actually a pretty stand-up guy so I take him at his word.

“Even if this was something we wanted to look to do or were interested in doing, it’s a nonstarter because we can’t put all our teams in the American and there’s no viable alternative on the West Coast for the rest of our teams (if football went to the AAC).”

And there's no viable alternative - because UCSD took it away from SDSU

8 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

You really should just leave the board for another extended break if you're here just to be a AAA dickhead. You're being an asshole for no reason. And a UNLV fan shouldn't be talking shit about anyone considering you're the worst football team in the conference and a bottom feeder in basketball.

Bob has triggered you.  Just roll with it..

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

yes, he's a smart nerd who worked at ESPN/CBS before the AAC hired him and he looks the part.

yes, a smart carnival barker is what G5 conferences need to be heard.

There's a sucker born every minute.

- PT Barnum

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.