Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maji

Biden Policy Agenda Thread

3 hours ago, Maji said:

Do you view a child allowance as a special interest subsidy?

I disagree with the framing because it's just welfare that alleviates child poverty. Most welfare is targeted. We shouldn't get rid of unemployment insurance just because it's targeted towards the unemployed.

Source for chart below: The UBI Center

https://blog.ubicenter.org/20200707/adult_child_ubi.html

20201223_133331.jpg

Do you support UBI for everyone, or only adults? @Akkula

It is probably the best idea to give UBI and every child gets some kind of in-kind subsidy like food stamps or paid daycare or something.  That would not incentivize people to have kids just for a check and to steal the money from them.  It would, however, cover the basic child expenses.  

Posted Image

2 minutes ago, Akkula said:

It is probably the best idea to give UBI and every child gets some kind of in-kind subsidy like food stamps or paid daycare or something.  That would not incentivize people to have kids just for a check and to steal the money from them.  It would, however, cover the basic child expenses.  

I guess we disagree on this particular issue. Thanks for responding

2 hours ago, Maji said:

It is no surprise.   That is why Biden's best move is to pass MASSIVE tax increases on the wealthy, corporations, and estates through reconciliation.   We need to make sure we have a MASSIVE budget surplus.  

Then for the next two years we can work in a bipartisan way to give tax cuts and relief to the middle class without having to hear from the deficit scolds.  We need to be playing with their money for the next couple of years. 

We also need to set up the $2k checks a way to break the filibuster rules and put MASSIVE pressure on the 51st vote.  Don't give them the easy path out by doing it through reconciliation.  Let 'em sweat. 

Posted Image

1 minute ago, Maji said:

I guess we disagree on this particular issue. Thanks for responding

I don't have a particular problem with child tax credits.  I just think it is an "old fashioned" approach and not very innovative.  Whenever we give specific people based on some bureaucratic formula a special subsidy it gets attacked and derided as welfare.  

Posted Image

On 1/15/2021 at 2:00 PM, Akkula said:

It is no surprise.   That is why Biden's best move is to pass MASSIVE tax increases on the wealthy, corporations, and estates through reconciliation.   We need to make sure we have a MASSIVE budget surplus.  

Then for the next two years we can work in a bipartisan way to give tax cuts and relief to the middle class without having to hear from the deficit scolds.  We need to be playing with their money for the next couple of years. 

We also need to set up the $2k checks a way to break the filibuster rules and put MASSIVE pressure on the 51st vote.  Don't give them the easy path out by doing it through reconciliation.  Let 'em sweat. 

I thought we agreed Corporate Tax increases are a bad idea.   

Long, interesting thread on the minimum wage .  I’m in favor of raising the minimum wage, but ostensibly slower and lower than what I have seen proposed out the Biden camp.  Labor markets vary from state-to-state and within states.  I’d go with a mix of an increased EITC and FMW.   

1 minute ago, grandjean87 said:
Long, interesting thread on the minimum wage .  I’m in favor of raising the minimum wage, but ostensibly slower and lower than what I have seen proposed out the Biden camp.  Labor markets vary from state-to-state and within states.  I’d go with a mix of an increased EITC and FMW.   

I haven't paid much attention, what is Biden's proposal? I know $15/hr is the eventual goal but I don't believe anyone is proposing we get there overnight. 

I would definitely support getting there over a 6-7 year period. 

11 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I haven't paid much attention, what is Biden's proposal? I know $15/hr is the eventual goal but I don't believe anyone is proposing we get there overnight. 

I would definitely support getting there over a 6-7 year period. 

I have not seen any specific time frame, but given the 11 years since the last federal min. wage increase and a number of states and locales who moved to $15/hr. in relatively short time frames, I’d expect it (Biden proposal) to be similar.   Off the top of my head, the CPI-adjusted min. wage peaked 50+ years ago around $10-$11/hour.  I’d think going above that in the first step would be almost guaranteed. 

8 hours ago, Maji said:

Any thoughts on raising the minimum wage?

If this is just the minimum wage for federal employees, that’s fine. But I don’t know how much sense a mandated national minimum wage makes considering the huge discrepancy in cost of living across the country. 

5 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

If this is just the minimum wage for federal employees, that’s fine. But I don’t know how much sense a mandated national minimum wage makes considering the huge discrepancy in cost of living across the country. 

Hello, we already have a "national minimum wage" :shrug:

Just talking about raising for the first time in 11-12 years.

1 hour ago, grandjean87 said:

Yeah I probably agree. It’s possible to live on minimum wage (in Hattiesburg, MS). Not possible in other parts of the country. Going from $7.25 to $15 would collapse a lot of these rural small-town economies IMO. EITC would balance out that costs with high-income states shouldering the burden, and makes it more palatable to conservative politicians.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:12 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

When I was younger and running with a bad crowd, I saw women who viewed children as income.  They usually kept the income and peddled the kids off.

Not sure that is pertinent here, but in lower socioeconomic groups kids are certainly viewed as income, and this will just make it worse.  

UBI is the answer.  Same amount for everybody.  Period.

Nonsense.  The cost of having kids today far outweighs a $300 monthly check. 

Instead of pointing fingers at the poor as so many conservatives are apt to do, perhaps look at the Foster Parent subculture to see those who would look to children as a means to profit. 

6 minutes ago, Whats Up Doc said:

Nonsense.  The cost of having kids today far outweighs a $300 monthly check. 

Instead of pointing fingers at the poor as so many conservatives are apt to do, perhaps look at the Foster Parent subculture to see those who would look to children as a means to profit. 

You are dumb.  Edit:  Or so privileged you have never experienced or known people in poverty.

These numbers are based on a single mother with 2 kids living below the poverty line.

"The state with the highest total value of welfare benefits was Hawaii, at $49,175. The lowest was Mississippi, at $16,984."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2014/12/05/grothman-single-parents-welfare/