Jump to content
modestobulldog

There are some sick people out there

Recommended Posts

My wife and I have custody of a 13 year old granddaughter.  She received a voicemail while in class from an unknown number and claiming to be a neighbor who is watching her in the nude, nice nipples, and other stupid sh**.  She noticed it in between classes and was very distraught. She said she hasn't given out her number on social media or gaming, nobody has been mean to her. I have lived at this address nearly 30 years, it is quiet, we know our neighbors and I can't imagine any neighbor doing something like this.  Didn't have specific info such as identifying granddaughter by name or address, so I assume sick prank.  I called Modesto Police, officer confirmed my hunch, there is a lot of this and worse.  It has gotten worse since covid.

We have verizon, I have a Pixel phone, granddaughter an iPhone.  We get very few crank / scam calls.  If any of you have suggestions to better protect my granddaughter, I would appreciate suggestions, even if I have to pay for premium service.  Thank you.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously you'd want to keep being vigilant about a possible voyeur. But more likely, it's a prank/sick individual who has no idea where you live and has too much time on his hands.

It's likely a one-time thing. I hope it doesn't continue, but if it does I'd contact the cell phone service provider. They should be able to track the number and block it, I'd think, and if you don't get anywhere with them, then contact the police.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I just checked with her on class break, she is doing fine.  I told her that although this was almost certainly a prank, don't let this affect her judgement in the future.  If anything doesn't seem right, get to safety first, always tell a trusted person of anything that doesn't seem right.

Last month, this sick bastard flew from Virginia to Fresno to abduct a 12 year old, made it all the way to Denver with the girl on a connecting flight before he was apprehended.

https://abc30.com/kidnap-fresno-kidnapping-girl-kidnapped/8899582

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't the phone company or police still track an unknown?  I have heard of some folks who like to do stuff like this to throw distrust in neighborhoods, for either fun, or for crime.  Hopefully the parents are treating it like it's a real threat, some sick folks out there.

 

And VA dude should never see daylight again.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are call blocking apps you can download (From Verizon or others like Robokiller)  that I believe will block all unknown numbers.  Iphone's allow you to silence unknown numbers in the phone settings - but they can still leave voicemails.  Hopefully it is just an idiotic 13 year old classmate playing a prank and not something more serious.

It would be a good time to have a conversation regarding online safety and privacy. Make sure she isn't giving out too much personal info publicly on instagram/tik tok/ etc.

https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/internet-safety.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Can't the phone company or police still track an unknown?  I have heard of some folks who like to do stuff like this to throw distrust in neighborhoods, for either fun, or for crime.  Hopefully the parents are treating it like it's a real threat, some sick folks out there.

 

And VA dude should never see daylight again.  

According to the officer, it is very common and much worse than my granddaughter experienced, she gets them herself.  Maybe an IT techy can opine, but I don't think these calls are easily traced.  It is all internet now (I assume). Police don't have resources to go after every stupid call.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Does she have her own personalized voice mail message?  If so, maybe it's better to just use a generic one.

This, I never use a personalized voice mail message. I use the standard AT&T robot message system.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Does she have her own personalized voice mail message?  If so, maybe it's better to just use a generic one.

Probably, and that is a good idea.  If it happens again, definitely will do that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestions on voicemail, now that I think about it, probably best to take off personal greeting, at a minimum, don't use your name.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

According to the officer, it is very common and much worse than my granddaughter experienced, she gets them herself.  Maybe an IT techy can opine, but I don't think these calls are easily traced.  It is all internet now (I assume). Police don't have resources to go after every stupid call.  

Likely over hard to trace internet.   Important to never respond, they might also be trying to catfish for girls. (Also be aware of people then calling claiming to be police/lawyers etc. who later call then call and want to "help" you catch these people) 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

My wife and I have custody of a 13 year old granddaughter.  She received a voicemail while in class from an unknown number and claiming to be a neighbor who is watching her in the nude, nice nipples, and other stupid sh**.  She noticed it in between classes and was very distraught. She said she hasn't given out her number on social media or gaming, nobody has been mean to her. I have lived at this address nearly 30 years, it is quiet, we know our neighbors and I can't imagine any neighbor doing something like this.  Didn't have specific info such as identifying granddaughter by name or address, so I assume sick prank.  I called Modesto Police, officer confirmed my hunch, there is a lot of this and worse.  It has gotten worse since covid.

We have verizon, I have a Pixel phone, granddaughter an iPhone.  We get very few crank / scam calls.  If any of you have suggestions to better protect my granddaughter, I would appreciate suggestions, even if I have to pay for premium service.  Thank you.

 

Suggest to her to take a quick glance of her classmates while in class, regardless of gender.  See who stares and quickly turns away.  Probably more likely it's a juvenile prank or jealously.

   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel bad this is happening. So glad I grew up in a era without phones. Our youngest graduated right about the time smartphones became popular. Hopefully she will be able to block any unidentified numbers, I know I get two to three spam calls a day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Can't the phone company or police still track an unknown?  I have heard of some folks who like to do stuff like this to throw distrust in neighborhoods, for either fun, or for crime.  Hopefully the parents are treating it like it's a real threat, some sick folks out there.

 

And VA dude should never see daylight again.  

Was T3 working with Verizon's engineers years ago.  It's complicated.  Yes, you can absolutely tell where the call from, the number it came from and the like.  Many spammers use cloned numbers though which means you can only locate the call from the switch.  Not sure if that is what this is, or if it is just some creepy classmate (more likely).

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Likely a prank/fraud call. But still frightening to the recipient.

 

A few things you might do in case you have not yet, if nothing else it might give you some peace of mind.

Run full scans and updates on all devices in the house, particularly devices used in her room.

Some people tape over their device cam when it is not being used. Here is a story of Mark Zuckerberg showing he does that.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mark-zuckerberg-puts-tape-webcam/story?id=40040340

If you have inside web connected security cams, change the passwords.

 

A couple years ago a female friend who lived alone read some articles about webcams being hacked by voyeurs and was concerned. I told her to consider the cam on her computer like an open house window, you don't change clothes or stand naked in front of either. Instead make sure it is blocked or you are out of sight from it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aztech said:

Suggest to her to take a quick glance of her classmates while in class, regardless of gender.  See who stares and quickly turns away.  Probably more likely it's a juvenile prank or jealously.

   

Not sure when she will actually go to class, that hasn't happened in nearly a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

Not sure when she will actually go to class, that hasn't happened in nearly a year.

True, I forgot about that.  Still I'm thinking the language sounds more like one of her classmates around her age.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aztech said:

True, I forgot about that.  Still I'm thinking the language sounds more like one of her classmates around her age.

Thanks, I tend to think not for 7th graders, but maybe you are right.  Maybe and older sibling helped.  She just turned 13.  The recording was made to sound like an adult male perv.  This thread was helpful, hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

My wife and I have custody of a 13 year old granddaughter.  She received a voicemail while in class from an unknown number and claiming to be a neighbor who is watching her in the nude, nice nipples, and other stupid sh**.  She noticed it in between classes and was very distraught. She said she hasn't given out her number on social media or gaming, nobody has been mean to her. I have lived at this address nearly 30 years, it is quiet, we know our neighbors and I can't imagine any neighbor doing something like this.  Didn't have specific info such as identifying granddaughter by name or address, so I assume sick prank.  I called Modesto Police, officer confirmed my hunch, there is a lot of this and worse.  It has gotten worse since covid.

We have verizon, I have a Pixel phone, granddaughter an iPhone.  We get very few crank / scam calls.  If any of you have suggestions to better protect my granddaughter, I would appreciate suggestions, even if I have to pay for premium service.  Thank you.

 

@retrofade isn’t security your area of expertise?  Any thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Likely a prank/fraud call. But still frightening to the recipient.

 

A few things you might do in case you have not yet, if nothing else it might give you some peace of mind.

Run full scans and updates on all devices in the house, particularly devices used in her room.

Some people tape over their device cam when it is not being used. Here is a story of Mark Zuckerberg showing he does that.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mark-zuckerberg-puts-tape-webcam/story?id=40040340

If you have inside web connected security cams, change the passwords.

 

A couple years ago a female friend who lived alone read some articles about webcams being hacked by voyeurs and was concerned. I told her to consider the cam on her computer like an open house window, you don't change clothes or stand naked in front of either. Instead make sure it is blocked or you are out of sight from it.

 

Yep always close computers with a cam when not using them.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...