Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WYO1016

Biden Administration Inaguration Thread

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Honestly, this probably has more to do with technological advances than with electoral systems. The ability for the entire country to be aware and part of singular policy discussions online is the biggest culprit. But I think there may be a correction... I wonder if the end of COVID (hopefully this year) sends people back into their communities with fresh eyes. 

I also am uncomfortable with a pure popular vote. I want to see strengthening of alternative parties and I want to see the Legislature take some of its power back from the executive. What electoral system gets us there? The reality is that we have to find a way to get there under the one we have, because it's not changing. 

It starts with people like us on this board encouraging people to vote, to become educated on their local issues.  To write their congresspeople.  The neutering of the legislative branch is on we, the people, who have become apathetic to it.  Social media plays a big part as you stated.  

It's why I support the changing of the number of SCOTUS justices on the condition it is done in a way like Mayor Pete advocated for and not as political retribution, while keeping in mind the norms and reasons for it changing.  It's why I support this current impeachment.  Congress is terrified of the mob right now and in doing so refuses to challenge the leader of their party.  We saw this with Obama, we saw this with trump.  Giving more power to the mob is not the answer.  Not sure what is.

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Oops. Wrong thread.

Please tell me you were about to drag Tom McClintock...

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

47 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

So you think the birther conspiracy was directed at a large number of Americans as opposed to just Obama? If so, we can agree to disagree on how we remember it.

I'm sure it would have been directed at anyone with a funny sounding name.  Anyhooski, these debates on who fired the first shot are futile and pointless.  My bad.

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Why are large population centers predominantly Democrat? 

This is a good question. Do you have a theory?

I believe it has to do with the fact that denser populations require significantly more infrastructure, e.g. water and sewage treatment, schools, parks, etc. and the bureaucracy to administer and manage said infrastructure.  Of course these things all cost a significant amount and maybe Democrats are more willing to tax and spend than Republicans and are able to convince their constituents that the infrastructure is necessary and desirable.

Just my thoughts :shrug:

Yours?

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I was and I did. ... just in the right thread this time!

The best part of leaving the biz was not having to deal with that guy anymore. I mean, he's a man of his convictions (hates trees and lefties) but what an effing blowhard. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

The best part of leaving the biz was not having to deal with that guy anymore. I mean, he's a man of his convictions (hates trees and lefties) but what an effing blowhard. 

Not surprised. Congressmen and women are the worst. 

21 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I'm sure it would have been directed at anyone with a funny sounding name.  Anyhooski, these debates on who fired the first shot are futile and pointless.  My bad.

My penis is more throbbing than yours!

Okay, maybe we’re just the North Going and South Going Zax. But I hope you know that I respect you and your opinions, even if we see things slightly differently sometimes. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Is the EC really protecting rural voters well? The quality of life is subpar in many rural areas. Farmers are subsidized, but family farms aren't as prevalent anymore. The EC might protect rural areas on cultural issues (such as guns rights), but they often struggle economically.

Is it really a zero-sum game? Some of the Dem's policies would theoretically help rural areas. They're already viewed as the "urban" party now (although too simplistic)

22 minutes ago, Maji said:

Is the EC really protecting rural voters well? The quality of life is subpar in many rural areas. Farmers are subsidized, but family farms aren't as prevalent anymore. The EC might protect rural areas on cultural issues (such as guns rights), but they often struggle economically.

Is it really a zero-sum game? Some of the Dem's policies would theoretically help rural areas. They're already viewed as the "urban" party now (although too simplistic)

The EC is protecting rural voters, but I don't believe that Republican Policies serve them all that well.  In a way, I think members of both parties often vote against their interests.

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

At the same time, I find it harder and harder to defend the EC as an important safeguard against oppression for rural folks when 1) the Senate already does that and 2) the Executive branch increasingly is the branch vested with the most power for governing. If Senate + President is all that really matters for governing, (as opposed to Senate+House+President) then it increasingly looks more like minority rule under the EC than protecting rural interests. It looks like mostly white rural people are given inordinate power over what happens in America's cities.

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Trump won in 2016 with the EC by using culture war rhetoric to galvanize a rural voting base largely in the Southeast and Midwest whose governing priorities (trade restrictions and immigration restrictions) are in direct conflict with the interests of a whole heap of rural communities in the West. Those communities are largely made up of immigrants or families of immigrants whose jobs depend heavily on of the free flow of agricultural goods between the US and other countries. To the extent that he tried to govern for our rural communities, it was for a certain segment of our rural communities - the people who owned the farms. Again, the actual role of the EC in that dynamic is complicated, but I don't believe it's as clear cut as you're making it out to be.

Excellent points. Restricting free trade may be popular in parts of the Midwest, but states like Idaho benefit greatly from trade with foreign countries

As you pointed out, the Senate is already a rural safeguard too. Controlling the Senate is extremely important as of late

4 minutes ago, Maji said:

Visible public services, diversity, and cultural liberalism (vs GOP standards). Also educational attainment

That seems to be a large political identity divider in any locale, big or small town.  Pretty sure cities have a higher percentage of people with higher ed than rural America.  But now we ask why higher ed makes you more left?

12 minutes ago, toonkee said:

That seems to be a large political identity divider in any locale, big or small town.  Pretty sure cities have a higher percentage of people with higher ed than rural America.  But now we ask why higher ed makes you more left?

My guess: It has to do with social liberalism and progressivism (not necessarily economically)

9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Why are large population centers predominantly Democrat? 

Good question which is one political scientists have addressed and grappled with for some time. You could Google your question and find plenty. 

Short answers are the logic of history especially stemming from the Roosevelt Coalition, self-selection especially since the 1970s, pop. density requiring more active government, relatively larger minority populations, and a few others I can’t remember off the top of my 3rd winter ale head. 

9 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

There used to be a saying that all politics was local politics.  Not sure that is true anymore, sadly.

Your point is well taken.  Some of the biggest economic divide in the country exists in rural areas.  Big difference between the rancher with 20k heads of cattle and the cook at the local cafe, and what their interests are or rather should be.  Health care and jobs, that's what the left needs to hammer to win back rural voters and they need to do it by campaigning on those issues in rural areas more.

Speaking of Ag.  The democrats missed a huge opportunity to punish Trump for the impact of subsidies.  That is clearly one example of how much power the executive does in fact wield.

A pure popular vote scares me.  I think it would lead to even more power in the Executive.  It would facilitate populism.  The legislative branch would be even more scared of speaking out against the party leader.  I agree with @NVGiant and @grandjean87 if there are issues with the EC, there are systems in place to change it.

The left has some winning issues with rural America, they need to spend more time with them.  Make them realize money saved in health care will make up for the 10% rise in gas.  Make some promises for infrastructure to rural communities.  Encourage more work from home.

@smltwnrckr ...fleshed out some key faults of the EC in this era.  Mostly agree.  Rural interests are far more complicated than sometimes assumed.  You know who generally lives good lives in rural areas, and are not elites/rich?  Teachers, cops, highway workers, forest service workers, etc. — government employees. 

Like we’ve been over many times before, EC or popular vote if still in the context of an SMP vote, this drives things from a political structural perspective. The new national culture wars, somewhat reflective of the effects of the rise of mass media a century ago, is a huge factor.  I’m still tilting in the direction of tossing the EC. 

6 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

@smltwnrckr ...fleshed out some key faults of the EC in this era.  Mostly agree.  Rural interests are far more complicated than sometimes assumed.  You know who generally lives good lives in rural areas, and are not elites/rich?  Teachers, cops, highway workers, forest service workers, etc. — government employees. 

Like we’ve been over many times before, EC or popular vote if still in the context of an SMP vote, this drives things from a political structural perspective. The new national culture wars, somewhat reflective of the effects of the rise of mass media a century ago, is a huge factor.  I’m still tilting in the direction of tossing the EC. 

In favor of what?  IIRC you were a proponent of CDM, right?