Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WYO1016

Biden Administration Inaguration Thread

9 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

No they aren’t. Rural voters aren’t a monolith.

Exactly. The rural communities in my region are largely hispanics living in rural slums. Their interests are not the same as people living near the forests of Wyoming or the corn fields of Iowa or the swamps of florida. 

Rural here often means white conservatives. "Real" americans. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

There’s a part of me that wishes Romney would have won in 2012. I think the entire direction of the Republican Party and the country would be different right now. 

Me too. And I don’t say that lightly. I mean, this has been brewing for longer than Trump has been around, but Romney would have been a moderating influence that could have at least kept the crazies at bay for a little while longer.

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Well, this is done at the local level, not the federal one.  The state legislatures decide how award their EC votes.  Part of that beautiful Federalism thing.

Thanks for the 7th grade civics lesson. But as you’ve seen in states like Colorado in 2020, changes made in the way a state awards electors can be designed so they won’t take effect unless a certain number of states pass similar measures.

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Thanks for the 7th grade civics lesson. But as you’ve seen in states like Colorado in 2020, changes made in the way a state awards electors can be designed so they won’t take effect unless a certain number of states pass similar measures.

Are you talking about the national vote compact?  Or am I missing something else?

Seems 7th grade civics should be taught more.

17 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Me too. And I don’t say that lightly. I mean, this has been brewing for longer than Trump has been around, but Romney would have been a moderating influence that could have at least kept the crazies at bay for a little while longer.

I don’t know that I would agree with the “little while longer” bit. People, for good or bad, often follow the mindset and demeanor of those they admire or “follow.” 

You may disagree with me on this but I also think politics, or political rhetoric, took a turn for the worse the very moment Obama made the clinging to religion and guns remark. That in my opinion was the first domino to fall that led to the rise of Trump. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Are you talking about the national vote compact?  Or am I missing something else?

BTW that is not a knock on you or really anybody here for that matter.  Americans are startlingly ignorant on how our government functions. 

Anyways, I don't think anybody is going change their mind on the EC at this point.  At least not until the GOP can't win elections.  Then the teams will switch.

Back to the topic at hand, sounds like there will be 10k armed between the guard, capitol police and standard protection.  Biden is a brave man and has already earned my support.

4 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I don’t know that I would agree with the “little while longer” bit. People, for good or bad, often follow the mindset and demeanor of those they admire or “follow.” 

You may disagree with me on this but I also think politics, or political rhetoric, took a turn for the worse the very moment Obama made the clinging to religion and guns remark. That in my opinion was the first domino to fall that led to the rise of Trump. 

I think Obama being half black was the first domino to fall that lead to the rise of Trump. What you are talking about was A domino, but I think it’s worth mentioning that the first domino was something Obama literally had no control over. 

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I think Obama being half black was the first domino to fall that lead to the rise of Trump. What you are talking about was A domino, but I think it’s worth mentioning that the first domino was something Obama literally had no control over. 

I think that is when the overt bigotry that is rampant in some (not all or even most) Trump circles started to rear.  The idea he was a secret Kenyan Muslim was absolutely about his race and name.  What is almost as bad is the idea that being a Muslim should disqualify you from office.

You also had too many people tying the recession to Bush and Obama, their towns slow recovery was due to "the swamp" and typical politicians that forgot about them, in their view.

Trump knew what nerves to strike and chords to string.

12 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Perhaps. I know the nutjob racists have always been there. I think they were far more marginalized before and it was under Trump that they really started to emerge from the shadows. 

20 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

It started long before that. That's just the one that offended conservatives, many of whom, let's face it, are snowflakes. I've been called a communist in political arguments since I can remember, and that has become so ingrained in political rhetoric that it hardly gains notice anymore. (Just writing that reminds of a personal anecdote: My mother's far right husband told me to "leave the +++++ing country" at my own college graduation party, way back in 1999, in an argument in which I said I thought our social safety net needed to be protected. No joke. That's a really story. Lol.) And before Obama's guns and religion, McCain was trying to convince voters that Obama wasn't a muslim terrorist. And you can't ignore the racist reactions in general to Obama's presidency. After 9/11, anyone who was against the Iraq War was painted as a traitor. And there were the partisan wars of the 1990s, when the right was convinced Clinton was a serial killer and Pat Robertson was writing books about the New World Order. And before that, Bork was, well, being Borked.

It's been getting worse and worse and worse. There are tons of reasons for it, and rhetoric like guns and religion haven't helped any more than Romney's 47% rhetoric helped. But both those instances were just two examples of many that have led to this.

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It started long before that. That's just the one that offended conservatives, many of whom, let's face it, are snowflakes. I've been called a communist in political arguments since I can remember, and that has become so ingrained in political rhetoric that it hardly gains notice anymore. (Just writing that reminds of a personal anecdote: My mother's far right husband told me to "leave the +++++ing country" at my own college graduation party, way back in 1999, in an argument in which I said I thought our social safety net needed to be protected. No joke. That's a really story. Lol.) And before Obama's guns and religion, McCain was trying to convince voters that Obama wasn't a muslim terrorist. And you can't ignore the racist reactions in general to Obama's presidency. After 9/11, anyone who was against the Iraq War was painted as a traitor. And there were the partisan wars of the 1990s, when the right was convinced Clinton was a serial killer and Pat Robertson was writing books about the New World Order. And before that, Bork was, well, being Borked.

It's been getting worse and worse and worse. There are tons of reasons for it, and rhetoric like guns and religion haven't helped any more than Romney's 47% rhetoric helped. But both those instances were just two examples of many that have led to this.

I guess what I’m saying is that it’s one thing for Joe Bob in law to use strong political rhetoric to stereotype a large percentage of the country. It’s quite another thing for a major political figure to do it. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t recall Reagan, Mondale, Bush, Dukakis, Clinton, Dole, Bush, Gore, Kerry, or McCain using that type of language to describe a large segment of the American people.

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I guess what I’m saying is that it’s one thing for Joe Bob in law to use strong political rhetoric to stereotype a large segment of the country. It’s quite another thing for a major political figure to do it. 

Perhaps. But Joe Bob is also a snowflake. 

Just now, NVGiant said:

Perhaps. But Joe Bob is also a snowflake. 

Note my edit as well. You respond too damn fast!

42 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Was the birther thing before that?

38 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Anyways, I don't think anybody is going change their mind on the EC at this point.  At least not until the GOP can't win elections.  Then the teams will switch.

Back to the topic at hand, sounds like there will be 10k armed between the guard, capitol police and standard protection.  Biden is a brave man and has already earned my support.

I promise you that I will stay consistent no matter who wins elections. I wrote a college paper on changing the EC way back in 1995 (+++++, I'm getting old). My view hasn't changed.

6 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Was the birther thing before that?

Was the birther thing made up of notable political figures criticizing a large number of American people? 

41 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

BTW that is not a knock on you or really anybody here for that matter.  Americans are startlingly ignorant on how our government functions. 

I've heard good arguments from this discussion and learned more than I did in any grade school class unfortunately.

I wish they taught us civics.

53 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yep. It's stupid that they would tie electors to national popular vote, IMO, but my point was that the compact doesn't go into effect unless so many states adopt it. (Can't remember the number off hand.) I would advise any state that changes the way it awards electors to do it this way.

7 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I promise you that I will stay consistent no matter who wins elections. I wrote a college paper on changing the EC way back in 1995 (+++++, I'm getting old). My view hasn't changed.

What if you land a job with Veritas?