Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Impeachment Round 2 Megathread

5 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I think he should be impeached and removed, even if it is symbolic and only done to make a point and prevent further presidential runs.

I also don't think I can take all the spectacle that is going to come with it. Personally, I just wan to move on and turn the page on the 20th. 

That's where I'm at. 

This is about right

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

This is about right

What do you think about the prospect of the house voting but Nancy or chuck holding off on the trial til after a couple months? I think the necessity of getting the  new executive department put together in a pandemic may be more important than impeachment. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

What do you think about the prospect of the house voting but Nancy or chuck holding off on the trial til after a couple months? I think the necessity of getting the  new executive department put together in a pandemic may be more important than impeachment. 

It’s still an open question whether you can actually impeach after he leaves office, right? I guess, if it’s possible I might be OK with that approach. Just another thought, though. I’m still somewhat worried this isn’t over, and as long as he is president he is capable of more nonsense. I’m a bit of the mind that by getting the impeachment process going now, it makes it easier to remove him I should he try something else over the next 8 or 9 days.

But now that I think of it, that would still fit into your scenario, too.

I find the argument that they shouldn’t impeach because it is divisive and pointless because it won’t happen interesting, considering a big reason we are here is because people believed BS election fraud claims, in large part because GOP members of Congress made objections to the election certification that they knew would be divisive and acknowledged were doomed to fail. Rules for thee but not for me I guess.

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I find the argument that they shouldn’t impeach because it is divisive and pointless because it won’t happen interesting, considering a big reason we are here is because people believed BS election fraud claims, in large part because GOP members of Congress made objections to the election certification that they knew would be divisive and acknowledged were doomed to fail. Rules for thee but not for me I guess.

This is a good point. I'm just concerned about it taking up a lot of time and resources in the coming weeks when a biden admin has a ton to deal with.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

This is a good point. I'm just concerned about it taking up a lot of time and resources in the coming weeks when a biden admin has a ton to deal with.

O I wasn’t really talking about anything I’ve read here, I was talking more about the GOP members of Congress throwing this out as they have been making the rounds on cable news. As much as I want impeachment, I am with you that I am not looking forward to a drawn out trial and part of me just wants to be done with this presidency ASAP. 

5 hours ago, sebasour said:

Maybe that'll play a role, but 47 of the 50 GOP senators come from states that Trump won, and 37 come from dark red states that Trump won by double digits. If I'm a GOP senator, I'm giving some half assed condemnation, and weathering the bad PR storm for a couple weeks. I'm not putting a giant target on my back come primary time, when I vote to remove who many conservatives view as The Messiah.

To be clear, morally speaking he should be removed, but that's not what's going to matter.

You're right but there are probably half a dozen seats where it might matter. 

They might be damned if they do, damned if they don't...sit back and enjoy  :D

1 hour ago, Koji Vu said:

Divisive: Continuing to throw doubt on the results of the election.  
Impeachable: Inciting a riot in the halls of Congress, and then not stopping it when it does happen.

We hold him and his enablers accountable using the tools our Constitution grants us or we placate a mob of domestic terrorists. These are not great choices, but I know which one I choose. 

18 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Impeachment necessarily comes with theatrics though, so saying you want the impeachment without them is like saying you want a cheeseburger without the cheese, or the burger. 

True in general but this one shouldn't.

Bottom line is everybody in the House knows the facts about the single charge which will be leveled. So Pelosi can simply offer representatives whatever minimal speaking time is required under House rules and then put it to a vote. 100% of the Dems will vote for impeachment and my guess is only half the Republicans will vote against it since some will vote to impeach and some others will abstain.

Then the articles will be immediately sent to the Senate and, IMO, Schumer should persuade his colleagues to just drop the thing. There isn't a chance in the world of 2/3 of the Senate voting to convict, having the issue just sit there would interfere with what Biden wants to accomplish and the point will have been made.

What point? That Donald John Trump was so horrific that he will be the first president in history - and hopefully the last - to have been impeached twice.

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

There may not be time to convict and remove him but they will certainly DQ him from ever serving as POTUS again.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

There may not be time to convict and remove him but they will certainly DQ him from ever serving as POTUS again.  

I doubt he gets removed unless for some reason he resigns before noon 1/20 - This is more principal & a notice to the future