Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Impeachment Round 2 Megathread

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-democrats-consider-impeachment-25th-amendment-measures-n1253693

This would largely be symbolic with his term ending in 9 days, though I guess it could prevent from running in 2024 if it gets through the senate (which it wont). This seems like an attempt by Dems to get GOP senators on the record

8 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

It's actually about principle. If he's not impeached, then future losers will also try to overthrow the government because they won't have any real consequences if they try. 

Agree - It's the principal of the matter............and if they hold votes, it gets every republican on record 

I used to believe both parties were equally bad. How wrong I was. The republicans have shown nothing to make me think they are a good establishment. The one silver lining is I'm pretty damn proud of one of my senators, Mitt Romney. The other one is a dipshit though. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

If anybody in Congress deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom it's Mitt Romney.

As to impeachment, it's going to be merely ceremonial. What won't be just ceremonial, however, will be sedition charges brought against Trump. It will be up to Merrick Garland but I see no way he won't prosecute the Orange Turd. Then the O.T. can have Giuliani go down to every court he can find to try to get the charges thrown out - and will be equally as successful as he was with trying to get the election results overturned.

3 hours ago, sebasour said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-democrats-consider-impeachment-25th-amendment-measures-n1253693

This would largely be symbolic with his term ending in 9 days, though I guess it could prevent from running in 2024 if it gets through the senate (which it wont). This seems like an attempt by Dems to get GOP senators on the record

Why won’t it get through the Senate? Based on the time frame I don’t think it would be physically possible to have the trial before Dems assume control. 

43 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Why won’t it get through the Senate? Based on the time frame I don’t think it would be physically possible to have the trial before Dems assume control. 

I don't think it'll get enough GOP votes

I think he should be impeached and removed, even if it is symbolic and only done to make a point and prevent further presidential runs.

I also don't think I can take all the spectacle that is going to come with it. Personally, I just wan to move on and turn the page on the 20th. 

That's where I'm at. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, sebasour said:

I don't think it'll get enough GOP votes

Maybe so, but I'm curious to see how this plays with the donors, now that they're withholding support, etc.

7 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Maybe so, but I'm curious to see how this plays with the donors, now that they're withholding support, etc.

Maybe that'll play a role, but 47 of the 50 GOP senators come from states that Trump won, and 37 come from dark red states that Trump won by double digits. If I'm a GOP senator, I'm giving some half assed condemnation, and weathering the bad PR storm for a couple weeks. I'm not putting a giant target on my back come primary time, when I vote to remove who many conservatives view as The Messiah.

To be clear, morally speaking he should be removed, but that's not what's going to matter.

20 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I think he should be impeached and removed, even if it is symbolic and only done to make a point and prevent further presidential runs.

I also don't think I can take all the spectacle that is going to come with it. Personally, I just wan to move on and turn the page on the 20th. 

That's where I'm at. 

I agree with this. He has committed an impeachable offense and he should be removed. But I'm also getting tired of the theatrics, like Donald Trump almost killed them because hooligans and morons were running around the Capitol.

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

I agree with this. He has committed an impeachable offense and he should be removed. But I'm also getting tired of the theatrics, like Donald Trump almost killed them because hooligans and morons were running around the Capitol.

Impeachment necessarily comes with theatrics though, so saying you want the impeachment without them is like saying you want a cheeseburger without the cheese, or the burger. 

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Need 2/3rds to convict. Although I have heard some say a simple majority could ban him from future office. You’d definitely get some GOP Senators to vote for that. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

My opinion on this is that I know the trial will be exhausting and most likely doomed to fail, but I think it has to happen. I don’t think it’s overstating things to say this is the most warranted impeachment in American history. 

4 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Need 2/3rds to convict. Although I have heard some say a simple majority could ban him from future office. You’d definitely get some GOP Senators to vote for that. 

Yea I completely forgot that it wasn’t a simple majority to remove. I do hope they can ban him from future office, that’d be a very good thing to not have him looming over the ‘24 GOP primary.

24 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea I completely forgot that it wasn’t a simple majority to remove. I do hope they can ban him from future office, that’d be a very good thing to not have him looming over the ‘24 GOP primary.

You would think that more than a few GOP Senators would be tempted to vote to prevent him from running again. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

So, will Trump be convicted by the Senate? Probably not, so why go through with this?

1. Nancy and the Dems have to do what they can or Dem voters will be mad. There's no downside or risk for Dem congress in this exercise.

2. This impeachment's first points are scored by putting pressure on Trump to resign and/or for Pence to invoke the 25th. Pence is damned if he does, damned if he don't but this puts the ball into his court and he suffers either way.  Kick him in the nuts because you can.  

3. The House will impeach without much of a trial and kick this over.  Most Rs will say "aw shucks let's unify and heal" or "there wasn't even a real trial and due process, yada yada yada"  or "Trump is gone in a couple more days so what's the point" but all the while the Dems will HAMMER the Rs with the visuals of that day. They tried to overthrow the government.  Very few R Senators want to defend any of what occurred and this will stress them out and there will be heat.  They will be made to look soft on Trump and the insurrectionists if they vote to acquit and donors don't like Trumpers right now.  They're pulling $ if you voted to reject electors because it made you a party to the lies that caused Jan 6th.  January 6's and civil wars are really bad for business, guys.   

4. It's the right thing to do.