Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Right-wing extremists vow to return to Washington for Joe Biden's inauguration

16 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I'm afraid it's going to happen. These people genuinely believe that the election was stolen, so it makes sense they would try again to put a stop to the transition of power. I really hope I am wrong.

I try to put myself in their shoes. I've asked myself, what would it take for me to take up arms against my government?

A f*ckton of conviction, that's what. They are honestly deluded to the point they believe with every fiber of their being they are patriots trying to "save" their country. Of course, when proud Germans bought into their Big Lie in the 1930s, they thought they were "saving" their country too.

Like I said in my response to Born, I rather an attempted overthrow of our government take place for a short duration at one location than become a sustained low-intensity insurrection that could last weeks, if not months or longer. The latter is far more damaging to our country IMO than the latter, though both are tragic no matter how you slice it.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

7 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I try to put myself in their shoes. I've asked myself, what would it take for me to take up arms against my government?

A f*ckton of conviction, that's what. They are honestly deluded to the point they believe with every fiber of their being they are patriots trying to "save" their country. Of course, when proud Germans bought into their Big Lie in the 1930s, they thought they were "saving" their country too.

Like I said in my response to Born, I rather an attempted overthrow of our government take place for a short duration at one location than become a sustained low-level insurrection that could last weeks, if not months or longer. The latter is far more damaging to our country IMO than the latter, though both are tragic no matter how you slice it.

It's almost like decades of right wing media personalities shouting about taking their country back has had an effect huh? Trump was just the first one to take that method and apply it to the results of an election he lost. 

3 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

It's almost like decades of right wing media personalities shouting about taking their country back has had an effect huh? Trump was just the first one to take that method and apply it to the results of an election he lost. 

tenor.gif

I've long wondered if there was a foreign actor behind the right-wing hate machine (as well as behind the most extremist and/or nefarious elements on the left, for that matter), with this end game in mind. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

59 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I dread the thought of it.

It seems a shit sandwich has been the special of the day for nearly a year running. I say that as I think I rather have armed insurrectionists grouped together at one centralized rally point for a singular event than dispersed throughout the country committing lone wolf attacks for weeks on-end.

The thing is though if there in armed attempt to take over the government you of course have to put it down, but there are millions of people who won't participate in insurrection who legitimately believe the election was stolen from them. The short term solution is to put down any armed attempt to take over the government. The long term solution has to be an attempt to reach out to the people who aren't attempting a coup, but believe the conspiracy theories, and who sincerely believe the election was stolen from them. Calling them bigoted racists, and idiots will only further divide and worsen the problem. 

8 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

The thing is though if there in armed attempt to take over the government you of course have to put it down, but there are millions of people who won't participate in insurrection who legitimately believe the election was stolen from them. The short term solution is to put down any armed attempt to take over the government. The long term solution has to be an attempt to reach out to the people who aren't attempting a coup, but believe the conspiracy theories, and who sincerely believe the election was stolen from them. Calling them bigoted racists, and idiots will only further divide and worsen the problem. 

I think the tone we need to strive for is the same tone Abraham Lincoln used in his second inaugural address. The country was violently divided back then too. 

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.[7

5 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Their representatives could start by telling them the truth. The "election was stolen" narrative is a big lie told over and over again by a narcissistic con man who's ego can't take being seen as a loser. This is their chance to jettison Trump and allow the GOP to move on.

He claimed the Iowa caucus vote (that "lyin' Ted" Cruz won) was stolen. He claimed the 2016 election (that he won by 77 electoral votes) was fraudulent. He claims the 2020 election (which he lost by 7 million votes, and 74 electoral votes) was fraudulent. He's remarkably consistent in this regard.

Just now, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Their representatives could start by telling them the truth. The "election was stolen" narrative is a big lie told over and over again by a narcissistic con man who's ego can't take being seen as a loser. This is their chance to jettison Trump and allow the GOP to move on.

He claimed the Iowa caucus vote (that "lyin' Ted" Cruz won) was stolen. He claimed the 2016 election (that he won by 77 electoral votes) was fraudulent. He claims the 2020 election (which he lost by 7 million votes, and 74 electoral votes) was fraudulent. He's remarkably consistent in this regard.

I agree. If they decide en masse to come back to reality we need to welcome them back to reality with open arms as fellow countrymen. Ostracizing them might feel satisfying in the short term,  but will be damaging in the long term. 

32 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I agree. If they decide en masse to come back to reality we need to welcome them back to reality with open arms as fellow countrymen. Ostracizing them might feel satisfying in the short term,  but will be damaging in the long term. 

Agreed. At the end of the day this is a hearts and minds issue. 

But I'm telling you man, the Rs have to help with this.  They must not give comfort or aid to this big lie stuff.  The D's have less power to fix this than R's do.  

33 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

You expect the open-minded and tolerant left to do this?  😂 

v0icAvfW.jpg

24 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

You expect the open-minded and tolerant left to do this?  😂 

I expect you to tell your friends and family that Biden won and you won't join anyone in the conspiracy nonsense and that this big lie is a very dangerous manipulation. Remind them Trump accused Cruz of cheating when Cruz won the Iowa primary in 2016. This is what Trump does. Tell them the Dems are horrible but people were sick of Trump and he lost. Go find better Republicans.

23 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Agreed. At the end of the day this is a hearts and minds issue. 

But I'm telling you man, the Rs have to help with this.  They must not give comfort or aid to this big lie stuff.  The D's have less power to fix this than R's do.  

The R's who are scared to come out and say that all of the conspiracy nonsense is just that,  are part of the problem. I made a Facebook post where I publicly expressed my changed views on Trump, and claimed he was a horrible person.  I didn't do it to congratulate myself , but rather it to show others like me that it's ok to come out and say this is all bullshit. I made a lot of people mad at me though. 

21 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

One can hope 

I certainly would. The only way we get outta this is assume good will on both sides. Both sides have their zealots. Moderation needs to come to the fore. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

19 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

One can hope 

I don’t think you admit or recognize what the right has done to itself. I don’t think many of them are strong enough to look at their own constituency and admit they lied because they’re scared for their families. The thought of being accosted in airports by the far right crazy for example. 

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

I think the tone we need to strive for is the same tone Abraham Lincoln used in his second inaugural address. The country was violently divided back then too. 

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.[7

Hard disagree. The 2nd inaugural, one of the most beautiful pieces of American writing, was when it was in the bag and much of the hard stuff had been done. It is the first inaugural we should look to.

My countrymen, one and all, think calmly and well upon this whole subject. Nothing valuable can be lost by taking time. If there be an object to hurry any of you in hot haste to a step which you would never take deliberately, that object will be frustrated by taking time; but no good object can be frustrated by it. Such of you as are now dissatisfied still have the old Constitution unimpaired, and, on the sensitive point, the laws of your own framing under it; while the new Administration will have no immediate power, if it would, to change either. If it were admitted that you who are dissatisfied hold the right side in the dispute, there still is no single good reason for precipitate action. Intelligence, patriotism, Christianity, and a firm reliance on Him who has never yet forsaken this favored land are still competent to adjust in the best way all our present difficulty. 

In your hands, my dissatisfied fellow-countrymen, and not in mine, is the momentous issue of civil war. The Government will not assail you. You can have no conflict without being yourselves the aggressors. You have no oath registered in heaven to destroy the Government, while I shall have the most solemn one to "preserve, protect, and defend it." 

I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Like I said in my response to Born, I rather an attempted overthrow of our government take place for a short duration at one location than become a sustained low-intensity insurrection that could last weeks, if not months or longer. The latter is far more damaging to our country IMO than the latter, though both are tragic no matter how you slice it.

Yeah.  I don’t understand how so many intelligent people can be so taken in by this shit.