Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Twitter Permanently Suspends Trump’s Twitter

1 minute ago, azgreg said:

This is correct. But the culture of free speech matters as much as the first amendment.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

6 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

These are supposed to be a couple of the flyers on social media about January 17 events. This is said to be one of them.

Parler is also in the process of being shut down, for this reason.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm very uncomfortable about cheers over banning speech on public or private platforms. 

It brings up interesting questions. Obviously this isn’t a first amendment issue, and there is definitely a crowded theater argument to be made here. Also, with both parties threatening 230, these companies are going to try to protect themselves.

on the other hand, we are a society that has thrived in large part because of its ideals on free speech. Much more than the second amendment, the first amendment has acted as a check on power over and over again for almost 250 years. And we seem increasingly hostile to ideas we ourselves find hostile.

And if I had a third hand, I’d say that traditional forms of media have always limited speech in their gatekeeper role, so what’s different here?

Social media is one giant conundrum that has affected so much of life, yet we lack a clear vision on what it should be or if and how it should be limited. 

:lol:

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

I have a question for everyone.  It's related to the subject at hand.

Is Twitter a private company?

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level