Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

RIP Tommy Lasorda

Great guy. He got to know Sonny Lubick and came into the radio booth during one of CSU’s games. It was hilarious because he swore like a sailor during the interview. Such an enthusiastic and infectious personality!

I met Tommy years ago, as a young lad,  when he was the manager of the Albuquerque Dukes. One of the main reasons I liked baseball, cause you had access to players and coaches during fan appreciation day, they came out to meet fans... a much simpler time. RIP Tommy.

74ADD312-868F-4275-ABD7-9D0969A14864.jpeg

47853FE7-64F7-4537-98BC-D982FB3CE80C.gif

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

8 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

I met Tommy years ago, as a young lad,  when he was the manager of the Albuquerque Dukes. One of the main reasons I liked baseball, cause you had access to players and coaches during fan appreciation day, they came out to meet fans... a much simpler time. RIP Tommy.

74ADD312-868F-4275-ABD7-9D0969A14864.jpeg

47853FE7-64F7-4537-98BC-D982FB3CE80C.gif

Did you ever get to meet Greg Brock when he was playing in Albuquerque? I got to know him when our sons played together on the same youth hockey team.

Tommy was the best! When I was a kid I wrote Tommy a letter just to thank him and the team (I'm a lifelong Dodgers fan) for getting me interested in the great game of baseball. I didn't ask him for anything, it was just a thank you letter. Well, he sent me a Dodgers cap and a team picture which he signed. That was really cool of him and I appreciate it to this day. Thanks again Mr. Lasorda, may you rest in peace. 

I still have an empty bottle of Lasorda's pasta sauce. 

s-l300.jpg

This is what they looked like in the gift set. I only have one bottle. 

Remember when Lasorda went at it with the Philly Phanatic in 1988. He was really pissed off too which made it even funnier. :thumbsup:  I'm really gonna' miss Tommy.

user generated

13 hours ago, Cincy said:

A classic from Tommy....

And that's why we hate the Doyjers. :) Well, it's one of the reasons...

Bevacqua could throw down though. During that classic brawl in Atlanta in or around 1980 when fans were throwing beer into the dugout, Bevacqua climbed on top of the dugout and started clocking fans like a goddamn Viking. #TheGoodOlDays

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Due to his connection with Frank Sinatra, Lasorda was a regular in Vegas, particularly in the mid to late 70s.  First time I remember meeting him was at a fundraiser for Sinatra in 74 at the Stardust.  The personality people saw on TV was who he really was, definitley a gregarious guy.

Lasorda became an acquaintance of Jerry’s through Sinatra.  Lasorda was quite close with Rollie Massimino.  He was an honorary coach for his first Midnight Madness at UNLV, and I remember he was on the bench (which was funny because Maxson hated it when Jerry had his friends sit on the bench) when UCLA thrashed them in 93.