Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Big Changes Coming

4 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

There's no way anything super progressive will be on the list.  No Medicare for All.  No Gun Control (barring another domestic terror incident).  It's a super narrow margin, and one of those Democrat Senators voted with Trump 62% of the time.

Right now the goal has to be:

1. Pandemic, you want to get it done with in time for the economy to boom 2 years from now during next elections

2. Popular things the majority of people support, like marijuana legalization.

3. Election Reform.  I'd say get big money out of politics, but the Democrats have arguably benefited more than Republicans so I'm not sure anymore.  But things like the SAFE act would probably be more palatable to all right now.

You need to set the groundwork for 2 years from now when the Senate map is favorable to Dems. (Although post-Gerrymandering, the house could be lost)

The worst thing they could do is use all their political capital on gun control, Medicare For All, etc.  50/50 bills won't work right now.

Can we please get marijuana legalized in some of these "red" states?

God knows they need it!

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

It’s only a matter of time before the 2 biggest dogs in the yard fight.  China will try to push us out of the western pacific and will attempt to take Taiwan.

Although it’s possible Russia and China go to blows before that happens.  

Well, trade relationships have kept those dogs from going at it for quite a while. Unfortunately Trump was too goddamned stupid to understand where trade and national security intersect. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

10 minutes ago, sean327 said:

The Marine Corps deactivated all four of it’s tank battalions in November as part of it’s modernization push and it’s pivot to the Pacific. Gen Berger’s plan basically gets the Marine Corps out of being a second land army, and brings us back to our expeditionary and amphibious roots. It hasn’t been a popular plan, but for what my opinion is worth, I think it ensures the future of the Marine Corps while making the service faster to respond to any contingency while being even more lethal on the battlefield of the future.

I think it is a good call.  I liked the function of the LAR units, and given the urban environment, those and regular up-armored vehicles seem to be the better option.

I recall that the defense contract got renewed for the Army because Tanktown, Ohio said it would cripple the town.  There has to be a way to make their plants modular so they aren't reliant on manufacturing equipment we don't need.  Smedley Butler would say likewise.

18 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Can we please get marijuana legalized in some of these "red" states?

God knows they need it!

It became legal here in AZ Jan 1st.

5 minutes ago, Bob said:

I'm sure the dems will try big immigration reform. Amnesty. Raise capital gains. Raise corporate taxes. Raise taxes on the wealthy. un cap MC wages. Expand entitlements. reparations. student loan forgiveness. Reverse trump tariffs. who TF knows. Anything is on the table

anything is on the table?

bob the guy best defining blowing with the political winds got elected president and perhaps the bluest of blue dogs (the doggest of blue dogs?) is the 50th vote

they're barely going to be able to govern, let alone pass anything sweeping

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I think the cessation of trump's trade wars and tariffs would be a good thing.

no i'm not saying that because i don't want to pay $1000 for a video card next time i build a gaming PC why do you ask

:ph34r:

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I see an economic war, not a military war.  Only other instance if they try to create a political like we saw in the post-WWII wars of Korea and Vietnam when we had to fight the commies.  So unless we are to go back to that mindstate, I am less concerned with it.

We have been in an economic war with China for years...or rather, China has been in an economic war with the world for years. One of the best things that Trump did was to push back on China where nobody else would. Trump was/is an unpredictable wildcard, a buffoon, and dick, but he got it right with China. 

49 minutes ago, Bob said:

I'm sure the dems will try big immigration reform. Amnesty. Raise capital gains. Raise corporate taxes. Raise taxes on the wealthy. un cap MC wages. Expand entitlements. reparations. student loan forgiveness. Reverse trump tariffs. who TF knows. Anything is on the table

Oh you're right, immigration reform will also on the list.  Entitlements will be expanded and the pandemic will be the reason.  Taxes will have to be raised eventually, but I also don't think it will be soon, even for corporations or the rich.   Because pandemic, etc.  

A lot of the Obama Executive Orders that were in place that Trump rescinded will be put back (and vice versa)

10 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

We have been in an economic war with China for years...or rather, China has been in an economic war with the world for years. One of the best things that Trump did was to push back on China where nobody else would. Trump was/is an unpredictable wildcard, a buffoon, and dick, but he got it right with China. 

dude what do you think the entire point of the tpp was for...?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Biden will be so busy repairing Trumps damage I doubt he accomplishes half of what you think he will. I think some people underestimate the damage done.

Not to mention he has explicitly stated he is opposed to Medicare for all, so it’s really fvcking stupid to act like it will happen under Biden. I mean I WISH it would, but it’s not.

11 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Not to mention he has explicitly stated he is opposed to Medicare for all, so it’s really fvcking stupid to act like it will happen under Biden. I mean I WISH it would, but it’s not.

It shows how susceptible people are to lies and fear mongering. A solid chunk of House Democrats oppose M4A. It couldn't pass through the House before and now Pelosi barely has the majority.

Biden explicitly ran against M4A. He supported a public option. I don't understand how @soupslam1 is falling for this. He should know better.

12 minutes ago, Maji said:

It shows how susceptible people are to lies and fear mongering. A solid chunk of House Democrats oppose M4A. It couldn't pass through the House before and now Pelosi barely has the majority.

Biden explicitly ran against M4A. He supported a public option. I don't understand how @soupslam1 is falling for this. He should know better.

I’m not sure if it’s bad faith or ignorance. But I’m sure he will trot out this “Biden will pass M4A” line again, so it certainly points towards the former. 

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

With the Democrats controlling the executive and congress we’re in for some big changes. Medicare for all high among them. There will be a litany of others. 

They were barely able to pass RomneyCare with a 60-40 majority in the Senate back in 2009. Stop watching the news!!! Stop reading Facebook, Twitter, or Parler. Not saying to start watching CNN, MSNBC, NPR, or anything of the sort. Just stop consuming current event information. You want to talk politics? Pick up the phone or grab a coffee with someone who doesn’t agree with you and have an actual conversation.

4 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Hopefully ending the wars and black ops and bombings all over the damn world is high on that to-do list.  Healthcare should be on the list too.  Mental health as well.

retire an aircraft carrier and use the $ to built 12 regional mental health facilities that can get some homeless off the freaking streets.

cerified_Subarus.jpg