Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecSU

College Football Playoff in Decline?

4 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

They need to go to 16 with 6 at large and all FBS conference champions. 

First game at home of higher ranked seed around a week before Christmas. Then contract the rest thru the bowls how it is now after Christmas.

I tend to hedge and say 12, with top 4 getting a bye. But I think the powers would be more likely to stomach 16, because the at-large bids allow them to add in their blueblood nonconf champs to satisfaction. 

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

I didn’t watch either of the semi-finals and won’t watch the championship. 

I think a lot of people are feeling the same way, it a rigged system to keep as much money the P5 as possible.   There was 3 teams with 3 losses that played in NY6 bowls and how did they do:   The mighty #7 Florida Gators (finished 8-4) got beat down 20-55 by #6 Oklahoma.   #13 North Carolina (finished 8-4) got beat by #5 Texas A&M 27-41.   #10 Iowa St (finished 9-3) beat #25 Oregon 34-17, the same Oregon team that had a 4-2 record going into the game and moved barely into the top 25 after beating USC.   Iowa St makes a NY6 Bowl with a 8-3 record with 1 of the losses being a home loss to Louisiana (14-31), the same Louisiana team who finished the regular season 9-1 (loss was to Coastal Carolina) and ranked #19.

Regular season records, losses, and wins against winning record teams by the mighty P5 schools that were given NY6 Bowl invites:

#5 Texas A&M 8-1, @Alabama 52-24 (2 wins against teams with winning records: Florida and Auburn)

#6 Oklahoma 8-2, Kansas St 35-38 (finished 4-5), @Iowa St 30-37 (4 wins against teams with winning records: Texas, @TCU, Oklahoma St, and Iowa St)

#7 Florida Gators 8-3, @Texas A&M 38-41, LSU 34-37, Alabama 46-52 (1 win against a team with winning record: Georgia)

#9 Georgia 7-2, @Alabama 41-24, Florida 28-44 (1 win against a team with winning record: Auburn)

#10 Iowa St 8-3, Louisiana 14-31, @Oklahoma St 21-24, Oklahoma 21-27 (4 wins against teams with winning records: @TCU, Oklahoma, @Texas, and West Virginia)

#13 North Carolina 8-3, @Florida St (3-6) 28-31, @Virginia (5-5) 41-44, Notre Dame 17-31 (3 wins against teams with winning records: BC, NC St, and Miami)

#25 Oregon 4-2, @Oregon St (2-5) 38-41, @Cal (1-3) 17-21 (2 wins against teams with winning records: Stanford and USC)

Now the Playoff Committee is the ones who brought up the whole wins against teams with winning records, only it didn't seem to apply the the P5 schools.  But sure seemed to apply to #8 9-0 Cincinnati (5), #12 11-0 Coastal Carolina (5), #16 10-1 BYU (3), #19 9-1 Louisiana (5) and NR 9-1 Liberty (0, but won @Syracuse, @Va Tech, and 1 point loss @NC St).

The other joke was #11 Indiana who had 0 of their 6 wins against a team with a winning record (Wisconsin finished the regular season with a 3-3 record), is it any wonder that they lost 20-26 to a 4-5 Ole Miss team.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

I think people will live with that. But if it was eight we would of had A&M and Cincinnati in this year. Two teams we hadn't seen before. And with eight there is bound to be at least one upset.

I would like 8 but still believe it would almost always come down to the same 3-4 teams :shrug:

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

I think people will live with that. But if it was eight we would of had A&M and Cincinnati in this year. Two teams we hadn't seen before. And with eight there is bound to be at least one upset.

I doubt that, I think some how Cincinnati would have some how dropped to #9 and Georgia or Iowa St would have some how jump the non P5 school.  It's all about keeping the money in the pockets of the P5.

2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

I tend to hedge and say 12, with top 4 getting a bye. But I think the powers would be more likely to stomach 16, because the at-large bids allow them to add in their blueblood nonconf champs to satisfaction. 

It would be a big deal to make the postseason if you won your league. It would stop expansion for the most part as well, which would be good.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

8 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

It would be a big deal to make the postseason if you won your league. It would stop expansion for the most part as well, which would be good.

CCG ratings would be through the roof, even for CUSA/MAC/SBC.

I just don't see them playing up to 4 games in a 16 team playoff unless the season got shortened. With a 16 team playoff it would hurt G5 teams because the P5 most likely would not schedule them. 12 and 16 team playoffs are a horrible idea.

4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I just don't see them playing up to 4 games in a 16 team playoff unless the season got shortened. With a 16 team playoff it would hurt G5 teams because the P5 most likely would not schedule them. 12 and 16 team playoffs are a horrible idea.

You're right about scheduling, and perhaps it would bring down the P5 a peg(which is why it wont happen). Overall however it would be much much better for the G5. 

I mean honestly for me the college football season generally ends after the little 5 Access bowl game (I mean unless some MW team plays in the weird bowl game which happens after all the major bowls/CFP semis). Occasionally I will watch another Access bowl if there is a newcomer (like the odd year Kansas was good back in the BCS days) but I don't much care what blue blood wins the CFP.

Back in the BCS days I watched most of the NC games. Maybe it was simply because I was younger or maybe because I was willing to invest time in one game as opposed to the 3 games that occur in current CFP, idk.

And the same is generally true for college basketball, once the last little 5 team is out of the NCAAT I stop watching. The exception being Gonzaga (I mean I know they are in a little 5 conference but obviously they are an elite basketball school at this point). I will watch and cheer for Gonzaga until they are eliminated but no other blue bloods/power 5 schools. 

On 1/7/2021 at 5:38 PM, Ibanez said:

This is such a flat Earth argument. All you have to do is look at a calendar. The first bowl game was scheduled for the 19th. The reason CCGs were played so late was due to COVID. In a normal year they're done by the first full weekend of December, so in a  normal season there are already two open weekends between the CCG's and the last weekend of December or first weekend of January. In 2019, had the playoffs begun on December 14th, the Championship would have still been played by the 6th of January.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

37 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

This is such a flat Earth argument. All you have to do is look at a calendar. The first bowl game was scheduled for the 19th. The reason CCGs were played so late was due to COVID. In a normal year they're done by the first full weekend of December, so in a  normal season there are already two open weekends between the CCG's and the last weekend of December or first weekend of January. In 2019, had the playoffs begun on December 14th, the Championship would have still been played by the 6th of January.

I've got to agree...

The calendar isn't lying about that - however, these kids are going to want $$$ in return, and that's the trufe...

New-Signature.jpg

On 1/7/2021 at 4:00 PM, AztecSU said:

CCG ratings would be through the roof, even for CUSA/MAC/SBC.

Consider how cool the 2A playoffs are...

Multiply that by 10,000..

The advertising and TV/media money will be plain dangerous; I think the big boys won't want to share, unfortunately.

If Jerry Jones 'owned' a college team, I can almost guarantee he'd advocate an expanded and inclusive playoff, considering the Cinderella aspect is probably the most endearing aspect to a casual fan..  Think about the NCAA Tournament, without the little schools getting a shot...

• P5 & G5 need to incorporate an expanded playoff, and teams need to cope with the likelihood that players, one way or another, are going to begin receiving compensation for their contributions.  The schools unable to pay the additional stipends to scholarships, or whatever, will just fade out of the division naturally...

It would be cool if they also let in the 2A Champion into the playoff field!!  That would be soo cool!

New-Signature.jpg

51 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Consider how cool the 2A playoffs are...

Multiply that by 10,000..

The advertising and TV/media money will be plain dangerous; I think the big boys won't want to share, unfortunately.

If Jerry Jones 'owned' a college team, I can almost guarantee he'd advocate an expanded and inclusive playoff, considering the Cinderella aspect is probably the most endearing aspect to a casual fan..  Think about the NCAA Tournament, without the little schools getting a shot...

• P5 & G5 need to incorporate an expanded playoff, and teams need to cope with the likelihood that players, one way or another, are going to begin receiving compensation for their contributions.  The schools unable to pay the additional stipends to scholarships, or whatever, will just fade out of the division naturally...

It would be cool if they also let in the 2A Champion into the playoff field!!  That would be soo cool!

If Jerry Jones owned a college team, they'd suck too...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

On 1/7/2021 at 9:19 AM, renoskier said:

You don't enjoy watching the best teams? 

I don't enjoy watching ONLY the best teams.

The most entertaining thing about the NCAA hoops tournament is the little guys. Not that it will ever happen but expanding the football playoffs to 16 and guaranteeing that at least 2 slots went to G5 schools with the chance of up to 2 more getting in depending on their ranking would make a big difference to me. Maybe you don't care about underdogs but I'd continue to root for any of them getting past the first round.

42 minutes ago, Poisestate said:

Ratings are going to keep dropping as this farce of a system continues.  There is no more UN-AMERICAN post season in all of sports IMHO.

This needs to change and it needs to change now...

Big Facts

About 20% of a division is involved in national championship playoff for most sports in college. Except CFB which is somewhere between 3 & 4 %. CFB is essentially setup as a shrine to the past. 

36 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I don't enjoy watching ONLY the best teams.

The most entertaining thing about the NCAA hoops tournament is the little guys. Not that it will ever happen but expanding the football playoffs to 16 and guaranteeing that at least 2 slots went to G5 schools with the chance of up to 2 more getting in depending on their ranking would make a big difference to me. Maybe you don't care about underdogs but I'd continue to root for any of them getting past the first round.

An expanded playoff would be great. Depriving yourself of watching two great football teams won't get us any closer.