Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecSU

College Football Playoff in Decline?

According to this article from Sports Media Watch the CFP had it's lowest New Year's Day ratings yet. People are getting bored of the same thing over and over again it appears. Meanwhile the Peach Bowl ratings were up about 4%...

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/01/cfp-semifinal-ratings-rose-sugar-espn-viewership/

image.png.99ae4928c7c7d56ad6e7eba3dba061f1.png

I didn’t watch either of the semi-finals and won’t watch the championship. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Wasn't much reason to watch the semis, but I am actually looking forward to Bama/OSU.  

All in all, this season has just shown how much the crowds play a factor for me, even on the TV.  Bama vs Georgia had the atmosphere of a SDSU game in the Q, and that just sucked the excitement out of watching.  It is the same with basketball, I don't really watch much right now.  

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

Yeah, why watch a championship your school/conf has no path to? The fact that Peach Bowl ratings were up the same day the semi's hit an all time NYD low is telling. 

22 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Yeah, why watch a championship your school/conf has no path to? The fact that Peach Bowl ratings were up the same day the semi's hit an all time NYD low is telling. 

The fact that the Peach Bowl was the only good game out of the three wouldn’t be the major factor?

10 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

The fact that the Peach Bowl was the only good game out of the three wouldn’t be the major factor?

Maybe if blowouts were a novelty when it comes to the playoff, but they aren't. And still the worst ever on NYD. I never seen as much disdain for the playoff as this year and then the ratings seem to match the sentiment. We'll find out next year if it's a fluke or not. 

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

With Covid, people have more important things on their minds. Like putting food on their table for their family. 

Unless the peach bowl with a G5 is on, then they tune in and give it it's best ratings ever...see the flaw in the logic? People just didn't care for this semi like they did for one's past...you can guess why. 

image.png.1f6cf99d104712ac2f7d695bed1453dd.png

4 hours ago, Ibanez said:

They need to go to an eight team playoff. People are tired of seeing the same 4-6 teams every year.

They need to go to 16 with 6 at large and all FBS conference champions. 

First game at home of higher ranked seed around a week before Christmas. Then contract the rest thru the bowls how it is now after Christmas.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

and when the very same teams are in the final every year? :shrug:

I think people will live with that. But if it was eight we would of had A&M and Cincinnati in this year. Two teams we hadn't seen before. And with eight there is bound to be at least one upset.

You'll see recruiting spread out among college football if you include all conference champions, because kids will feel like they have a chance to make the playoff from any league.

I doubt that's what the higher end P5 teams want. They'd rather sit a 4 star guy on their bench who can't hurt them there.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg