toonkee

Today's Assault on Constitutional Democracy Gamethread

38 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Then you have to acknowledge that people are stressed the +++++ out from a pandemic one which health professionals say 50% of Americans suffered some sort of mental health issues and decline. And now people are fixiating on shit they think they can control to return to some semblance of normalcy, including trump whether that be a stolen election or him being the source of all problems in the US.  Maybe we should be focusing getting our fellow Americans some +++++ing help instead of irrationally hyper focusing on who to blame.

Yeah, we have issues. And Trump is a symptom, not the disease. But on this particular issue I think we can call a spade a spade: Gaslighting your own people when they are in a precarious mental state is probably not a great idea.

And, can you believe it, nobody in this thread has even talked about what is happening in Chicago!

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yeah, we have issues. And Trump is a symptom, not the disease. But on this particular issue I think we can call a spade a spade: Gaslighting your own people when it is in a precarious mental state is probably not a great idea.

And, can you believe it, nobody in this thread has even talked about what is happening in Chicago!

At this point what difference does it make? 

insert Dirty Hillary Gif....

Does it help solve any problems?  Everyone is aware, except those that still believe the lie.  You aren't convincing anyone that didn't already understand.  People are reminded of this every time they turn on the news or listen to a politician since the Democrats are using it as their whole election strategy.  Seems like the only thing it does is make those saying it feel good about themselves being right, Tribalism....

39 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Then you have to acknowledge that people are stressed the +++++ out from a pandemic one which health professionals say 50% of Americans suffered some sort of mental health issues and decline. And now people are fixiating on shit they think they can control to return to some semblance of normalcy, including trump whether that be a stolen election or him being the source of all problems in the US.  Maybe we should be focusing getting our fellow Americans some +++++ing help instead of irrationally hyper focusing on who to blame.

The first step is admitting people are crazy. So that’s good. And equating what Trump has done over the last few years to anything any other politician has done to nuke social and political norms is either a lie or delusion. 

7 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Does it help solve any problems?  Everyone is aware, except those that still believe the lie.  You aren't convincing anyone that didn't already understand.  People are reminded of this every time they turn on the news or listen to a politician since the Democrats are using it as their whole election strategy.  Seems like the only thing it does is make those saying it feel good about themselves being right, Tribalism....

I think you solve problems by first acknowledging problems. And for those who are on the business end of this crap, I suspect it makes a big difference. It's cool though. Everybody is just crazy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Not true. We have politicians in Nevada who will be running for gov that won’t admit the Stop the Steal crap is lies “publicly” but it has been reported in private they don’t believe or even denounce the BS Trump spews. Why is that?  I have voted for the GOP my entire life and I’m considered a RINO for… telling the truth! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Not true. We have politicians in Nevada who will be running for gov that won’t admit the Stop the Steal crap is lies “publicly” but it has been reported in private they don’t believe or even denounce the BS Trump spews. Why is that?  I have voted for the GOP my entire life and I’m considered a RINO for… telling the truth! 

What does it get you if they admit it publicly?  The same people who refuse to believe it's a lie will reject it.  

2 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

And states all over the country are currently designing voter restrictions based on this lie. There are real consequences, and obfuscation of the problem is not helpful.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I think you solve problems by first acknowledging problems. And for those who are on the business end of this crap, I suspect it makes a big difference. It's cool though. Everybody is just crazy. 

It's been acknowledged.  Over and over and over and over and over and over.  JFC.  You think if you you keep shouting it in the face of someone with a mental health issue that somehow it's just going to click?  Sorry dude but I'm out, this conversation is stupid and it's this idiotic stubbornness that we must point out why people are wrong does nothing to help anyone...

1 minute ago, HR_Poke said:

It's been acknowledged.  Over and over and over and over and over and over.  JFC.  You think if you you keep shouting it in the face of someone with a mental health issue that somehow it's just going to click?  Sorry dude but I'm out, this conversation is stupid and it's this idiotic stubbornness that we must point out why people are wrong does nothing to help anyone...

I haven't shouted at anybody. And it's not me being stubborn. Sometimes you choose to die on the most inexplicable hills. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

People are stressed and isolated and dealing with serious mental issues from the pandemic.  It's been documented with psychiatrists in school age children as well as adults.  So I'm not surprised people are doing stupid irrational shit that they may not otherwise. People have become assholes when they might have been just indifferent. 

True, and some people are using these conditions to fan the flames. We can be mad at them for fanning the flames. 

Edit - Also, you appear to be acknowledging that external forces affect and influence people.  That's all we're saying.  Maybe we agree on that and this whole thing was just a misunderstanding?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HR_Poke said:

What does it get you if they admit it publicly?  The same people who refuse to believe it's a lie will reject it.  

What does telling the truth get you? Apparently nothing. The more crazy you act, the more lies you spew, the better chance you have of winning GOP ticket in this state. Trumpism at its core. This is his legacy. Facts. 

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

especially your new avatar

I missed something...wtf?

@toonkeeis a terrible person. Let it be known, though, the avatar that he forced upon me for the Giants loss in the NLDS has lasted longer than the Dodgers did in the playoffs. I feel like that is karma.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, retrofade said:

Kudos to Charlie Kirk for "denouncing" it... but this is the shit I'm talking about here. This is the shit that Trump has inspired by convincing people that the election was "stolen" from them.

7 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

"When do we get to start using our guns?"

Answer: When lunatics like you start CWII. And sadly, it's clear you're giving serious thought to doing so.

How sad is it that these mentally ill folks are looking to Charlie Kirk to general the revolution.  It's just so dumb. And depressing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

I mean nah. we can come together and also not be cool with fascist insurrections

• Like 3

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Yep - There's going to be issues when 30-40% of the country is totally sold on lies & conspiracies...........and of that 30-40%, it's 80+% of the republican party, which since 2008 has devolved into a conspiracy driven cult of drooling morons..........so expect every politician running under the "republican" banner to adopt the lies as their path to show their drooling idiot base that they are on the "team" 

Seems a lot of "thinking" republicans who maintain some mental control & ability have or might leave the party, because it's iffy if the GOP going forward will be anything other than a cult of idiotic morons 

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/8/24/21348295/trump-stuart-stevens-it-was-all-a-lie

Why this former Republican says the party must be burned to the ground

Stevens is one of the most successful GOP operatives in the last couple of decades. He helped lead several presidential campaigns (notably George W. Bush’s two campaigns and Mitt Romney’s failed bid in 2012) and multiple gubernatorial and congressional races. He’s as seasoned as they come in Republican politics.

But Stevens stands out among Trump’s conservative critics because of his candor about the deeper rot at the core of the GOP. And in a new tell-all book, called It Was All a Lie: How the Republican Party Became Donald Trump, he offers a grand mea culpa for his own role in paving the way for Trumpism. “It is a strange, melancholy feeling to turn sixty-five, and realize that what you have spent a good portion of your life working for and toward was not only meritless but also destructive,” Stevens writes.

Stevens isn’t the only Republican who has criticized the GOP’s capitulation to Trump. He’s part of the Lincoln Project, a group of former Republicans who are spending a ton of money pushing anti-Trump ads. But he is somewhat unique for openly implicating himself and apologizing for his role in the party’s open embrace of nativism and bigotry.

• Like 1