toonkee

Today's Assault on Constitutional Democracy Gamethread

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

More people get lost in the woods every year in california than in idaho. 

Sorry, not sorry.

Well yes, California is the most idiotic state in the nation!  That's just numbers baby.

But no, there is something far different with hiking the Frank and hiking anywhere else in California.  The Selway is even more extreme.

That's not shitting on Cali, that's just, or should be, common sense.

11 hours ago, retrofade said:

What a raging piece of shit.

He'll still get reelected. By a large margin.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

27 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Well yes, California is the most idiotic state in the nation!  That's just numbers baby.

But no, there is something far different with hiking the Frank and hiking anywhere else in California.  The Selway is even more extreme.

That's not shitting on Cali, that's just, or should be, common sense.

I was making reference to the idea of using a metric like number of people lost in the woods to measure an immeasurable concept like ability to get lost in the woods. That seems a lot like using cell towers to measure wilderness experience.

Honestly, you can't say that that hiking in a place you love is incomparable to hiking anywhere in California cuz your experience in California is limited. Unless you are arguing that all places are unique, in which case...yes!! But then at that point this whole back and forth is pointless. Until you hike around lassen or in Modoc County or in the desert near the border or climb Shasta, statements comparing california to idaho are fun but ultimately hollow. 

There are places out here that are more desolate and remote than anywhere in the world. The desert around Death Valley, anyone? People regularly drive down the wrong road and just die there. There are parts of the delta that I would be less comfortable hanging out in without a map than most wilderness areas, not because I'm a good wilderness dude but because the delta is a labyrinthine nightmare to navigate in. And it's a stone's throw from the bay that happens to be a heavily engineered landscape.

I encourage you to open your mind about nature and wilderness. One of my favorite historians once wrote, "we might want to look for the natural in the dams and the unnatural in the salmon." That wasnt a defense of dams as much as a call for us to question our own assumptions about what is natural, what is not natural, what is wild, what is constructed. 

• Like 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

9 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

40 million people and not one can make good fry sauce.

With good reason. It's complete garbage.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

12 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

There is simply no way a jaguar could win a fight against a griz.

Speaking of blues...

I don't care, i still want to see it. 

I think 1 time in 10 or 20, the jaguar could win. Their jaws are powerful enough to crack open even a bear's skull. That would be rad. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

11 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Golden trout are amazing. I've caught idaho cutthroat and it was cool. When I catch a golden, it will be a bigger deal.

#BearFlagBestFlag

All of the record size California Golden Trout...have been caught in Wyoming.

I'm not sharing my places to catch large Golden Trout by the dozens.  But I will tell you that they are within the Wind River Wilderness area of Wyoming and require significant hiking and route finding.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

All of the record size California Golden Trout...have been caught in Wyoming.

I'm not sharing my places to catch large Golden Trout by the dozens.  But I will tell you that they are within the Wind River Wilderness area of Wyoming and require significant hiking and route finding.

Doesnt count til you caught it in its native waters. I've caught brookies in the high sierras, but I didn't count it officially until I got one in New York.

You better get yer ass on a plane to Fresno!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

10 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I was making reference to the idea of using a metric like number of people lost in the woods to measure an immeasurable concept like ability to get lost in the woods. That seems a lot like using cell towers to measure wilderness experience.

Honestly, you can't say that that hiking in a place you love is incomparable to hiking anywhere in California cuz your experience in California is limited. Unless you are arguing that all places are unique, in which case...yes!! But then at that point this whole back and forth is pointless. Until you hike around lassen or in Modoc County or in the desert near the border or climb Shasta, statements comparing california to idaho are fun but ultimately hollow. 

There are places out here that are more desolate and remote than anywhere in the world. The desert around Death Valley, anyone? People regularly drive down the wrong road and just die there. There are parts of the delta that I would be less comfortable hanging out in without a map than most wilderness areas, not because I'm a good wilderness dude but because the delta is a labyrinthine nightmare to navigate in. And it's a stone's throw from the bay that happens to be a heavily engineered landscape.

I encourage you to open your mind about nature and wilderness. One of my favorite historians once wrote, "we might want to look for the natural in the dams and the unnatural in the salmon." That wasnt a defense of dams as much as a call for us to question our own assumptions about what is natural, what is not natural, what is wild, what is constructed. 

Yeah what is interesting about CA is the large number of Biomes it spans.   

https://livingforapes.weebly.com/biomes-ca.html

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Doesnt count til you caught it in its native waters. I've caught brookies in the high sierras, but I didn't count it officially until I got one in New York.

You better get yer ass on a plane to Fresno!

I'll pass. No way am I catching a 19 inch Golden in California, and, I have a place in Wyoming where the 19 inch Golden is rather common.

12 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I'll pass. No way am I catching a 19 inch Golden in California, and, I have a place in Wyoming where the 19 inch Golden is rather common.

Fishing should be about more than trophies. I've got a few big ass rainbow trout all over the place. But the most special rainbows I ever caught were wild ones on the upper McCloud, where most strains of rainbow that have been planted all over the world come from. 

It's actually cool that goldens are thriving in Wyoming. But fishing has a history, too. 

9 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Fishing should be about more than trophies. I've got a few big ass rainbow trout all over the place. But the most special rainbows I ever caught were wild ones on the upper McCloud, where most strains of rainbow that have been planted all over the world come from. 

It's actually cool that goldens are thriving in Wyoming. But fishing has a history, too. 

At this particular fishing spot in Wyoming, I've never seen another person (I'm sure other people go there just not often as it is quite a trek off the beaten path). The spot is fed by a permanent snow field a few hundred yards away.  The lake is often froze well into late July.  The lake is surrounded by towering granite peaks and moraines left from recent glaciers. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that my fishing experience in Fresno would not quite measure up to my likes.

22 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

At this particular fishing spot in Wyoming, I've never seen another person (I'm sure other people go there just not often as it is quite a trek off the beaten path). The spot is fed by a permanent snow field a few hundred yards away.  The lake is often froze well into late July.  The lake is surrounded by towering granite peaks and moraines left from recent glaciers. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that my fishing experience in Fresno would not quite measure up to my likes.

Fresno's just the closest major airport. The Golden Trout Wilderness is a ways up into the Sierra Nevadas. It's quite pretty up there, too. 

50 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Agreed.  It's why catching 80 brook trout in a day in some lake never got my gears going.  But catching one steelhead or a 18 inch Westslope cutthroat will make my day.

• Like 1

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Agreed.  It's why catching 80 brook trout in a day in some lake never got my gears going.  But catching one steelhead or a 18 inch Westslope cutthroat will make my day.

Exactly. Big and/or a bunch can be great in the right context. 

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Exactly. Big and/or a bunch can be great in the right context. 

There is just something cool about catching a fish that may have been the descendent of a similar fish caught 12,000 years ago in the same hole by the first people in the area.

Late spring the Westslope spawn in the tiny little tributaries.  Kinda fun to go bush whack em and catch a few dozen in a stream you can jump over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Local Dr caught himself a whopper out at Pyramid Lake on Valentine’s Day. 

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/2021/02/24/monster-fish-caught-and-released-pyramid-lake-feb-14/4500044001/

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

Local Dr caught himself a whopper out at Pyramid Lake on Valentine’s Day. 

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/2021/02/24/monster-fish-caught-and-released-pyramid-lake-feb-14/4500044001/

The Lahontan are something else man.  One of the best places on earth, Pyramid.

Westslope are a much smaller cutty and don't get much over 16 inches,(in most waters in Montana and parts of Idaho they don't get much over 14)  however in the fertile waters of the Salmon you can get them in the 18-22 inch range.