toonkee

Today's Assault on Constitutional Democracy Gamethread

15 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Aaannnd the Texas Secretary of State gives the far-right its forensic audit.

The strategy now seems to be let's destroy all trust in elections by questioning all states.

And install people to make sure that democracy is destroyed in coming elections 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

And install people to make sure that democracy is destroyed in coming elections 

Wait.   You kooks claimed Trump colluded with Russia to steal 2016 and now claiming throwing out the same garbage for 2024......but are ass hurt because Trump said 2020 was rigged which saw unprecented mail in balloting?

You understand how mentally ill this appears, right?

32 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Still seems as though Trump isn't gonna go away until Civil War II occurs.

And if it does, he's sure to enlist and do his part when push comes to shove.

Just like he promised his supporters he would on January 6.

There's little doubt to anyone with eyes, ears & a 6th grade education that this is a slow motion coup attempt by trump and most of the republican party that could eventually lead to violence - the cult has bought the lies & has no grasp of reality - the full 50 state push to undermine elections & install their allies where they can is fully underway.

The orange clown says AUDIT (insert GOP led state here) & like Texas, they jump to their Fuhrers orders withing hours 

Honestly (And I don't give a fusk what anyone here thinks) the quickest way out of this trumpian nightmare is for the orange clown to suddenly die - he's that dangerous to this country 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 9:02 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Honestly (And I don't give a fusk what anyone here thinks) the quickest way out of this trumpian nightmare is for the orange clown to suddenly die - he's that dangerous to this country 

They'd just claim that he was assassinated by the deep state and turn him into a martyr and rallying cry.

• Like 1

The House voted on Thursday to find Stephen K. Bannon in criminal contempt of Congress for stonewalling the investigation into the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, pressing for information from a close ally of Donald J. Trump even as Republicans moved to insulate the former president from accountability.

The vote of 229 to 202, mostly along party lines, came after Mr. Bannon refused to comply with a subpoena from the House select committee investigating the assault, declining to provide the panel with documents and testimony. The action sent the matter to the Justice Department, which now must decide whether to prosecute Mr. Bannon and potentially set off a legal fight that could drag on for months or years.

But what was clear on Thursday was that nine months after the deadliest attack on the Capitol in two centuries, many Republicans in Congress remain bent on whitewashing, ignoring or even validating what took place as their party continues to embrace the lie of a stolen election. Only nine Republicans joined Democrats in voting to enforce the panel’s subpoena.

The rest followed the lead of Mr. Trump, who in a statement before the vote derided the election he lost as a crime and praised the mob attack — which injured 140 police officers and claimed several lives — as a legitimate response.

“The insurrection took place on Nov. 3, Election Day,” Mr. Trump wrote. “Jan. 6 was the protest!”

Before the vote, Republicans argued that the investigation — which Democrats undertook after Republicans blocked the formation of an independent, bipartisan inquiry — was a partisan exercise devised to smear Mr. Trump and persecute his supporters for their political beliefs.

On the House floor, Representative Jim Jordan, Republican of Ohio and an ardent Trump supporter, accused the committee of harassing Mr. Bannon and organizers of the “Stop the Steal” rally that preceded the riot.

“You’re involved in political activity? They’re going to investigate you,” Mr. Jordan said. “You know what this is really about: getting at President Trump.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/21/us/politics/bannon-contempt-jan-6-subpoena.html

This shit is absolutely sickening.

I am a hunter -- and I think you should be hunted," a woman can be heard saying in a voicemail left for Arizona Secretary of State Katie Hobbs in September. "You will never be safe in Arizona again."

Or there's the man who spit, "Die you bitch, die! Die you bitch, die!" repeatedly into the phone, in another of several dozen threatening and angry voicemails directed at the Democratic secretary of state and shared exclusively with CNN by her office.
--------

"Bullet," read one tweet reply to Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold, a Democrat, in September. "That is a six letter word for you."

An email sent to her office over the summer read: "I'm really jonzing to see your purple face after you've been hanged."

Asked by CNN last week if she feels safe in her job and going about her days, Griswold paused for nearly 30 seconds before answering.

"I take these threats very seriously," she finally said, choosing her words carefully. "It's absolutely getting worse," she added.
--------

The situation got so bad for Jocelyn Benson, Michigan's Democratic secretary of state, that during periods when the threats against her have spiked and gotten specific, she has received periodic 24-hour police protection. But when that security dropped off, the threats continued. Benson had dozens of people show up outside her house last December while she sat inside with her husband and young son, on the phone with the Michigan attorney general who was trying to scramble a police response. It ended up taking authorities 45 minutes to arrive on scene.

This has become her life. "It creates an air of apprehension everywhere you go and over everything you do. You're always looking behind your back and over your shoulder," she said.
--------

Kathy Boockvar, a Democrat who was Pennsylvania's secretary of state until February, received protection that began the week before the election last November, at the urging of her staff and state capitol police. But the threats against her ramped up significantly after she certified the election for Joe Biden later that month, as Trump and his allies attempted to make Pennsylvania the first major battleground for his election lies.

Protests against Boockvar were announced on the right-wing social media website Parler.

"You crooked f**king bitch. You're done," said one man who left Boockvar a voice mail that was shared with CNN.

Boockvar and her husband felt unsafe at home and decided to stay elsewhere. Multiple police jurisdictions were involved in helping provide protection to Boockvar as the threats continued, she said.

"I didn't feel comfortable walking the dog on the street," she told CNN.
-------

The threats aren't only toward Democrats, or women. Brad Raffensperger, the Republican secretary of state in Georgia whom Trump has both privately pressured and publicly singled out for not overturning the election results in his favor, has been inundated with threats since the November election, including those directed at his wife and family.

Raffensperger told CNN he's frustrated with elected officials allied with Trump who have continued to spread the former President's lies about the election being stolen -- lies that prompt Trump's supporters to direct their anger toward officials like Raffensperger. Trump has endorsed GOP Rep. Jody Hice, who has backed his baseless claims of election fraud, against Raffensperger in next year's primary.

"Some people have made comments that, 'It comes with the territory.' I find that beyond the pale," Raffensperger said. "What you're talking about is not just myself, but you're also talking about my wife, my daughter-in-law, my family."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/26/politics/secretaries-of-state-personal-threats-trump-election-lies/index.html

This is what happens when a serial lying, piece of shit former President fires up his insane radicalized base and convinces them that the election was "stolen" from them. 

35 minutes ago, retrofade said:

This shit is absolutely sickening.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/26/politics/secretaries-of-state-personal-threats-trump-election-lies/index.html

This is what happens when a serial lying, piece of shit former President fires up his insane radicalized base and convinces them that the election was "stolen" from them. 

Because people have never been shot at or had death threats before trump?

1 hour ago, HR_Poke said:

People make death threats and do stupid shit all the time, long but far less often before trump.

Fixed for accuracy.

I love Bill Maher. However, when he opined on Friday night that we should all be less vindictive towards our political opposites, he was only partially correct. Trump and McConnell both fully deserve my wrath; Trump times infinity.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Fixed for accuracy.

I love Bill Maher. However, when he opined on Friday night that we should all be less vindictive towards our political opposites, he was only partially correct. Trump and McConnell both fully deserve my wrath; Trump times infinity.

People are stressed and isolated and dealing with serious mental issues from the pandemic.  It's been documented with psychiatrists in school age children as well as adults.  So I'm not surprised people are doing stupid irrational shit that they may not otherwise. People have become assholes when they might have been just indifferent. 

• Like 1