toonkee

Today's Assault on Constitutional Democracy Gamethread

This whole thread is wild! I have mostly been out of pocket the past few weeks, but I watched it unfold on tv and I'm just catching up on this monster thread today. I can't believe the idiots who stormed the capitol....and those taking selfies at the podiums and desks. I'm glad to see that 400 have been identified and (at last count) 135 have been arrested. A girl I went to school with is a crazy QAnon'er who was there and her FB feed was full of just insane conspiracy theories, though she had a proclivity for such things before QAnon (the LV Shooting comes to mind) and she posted wild stuff about Pence being a robot and the fact that we all have trust funds that were sold to the Rockefeller's years ago and that we're all bought and sold like stocks...and she even looked herself up and had been actively traded recently. :huh:  Her last post was that she was on the way to the inauguration, but an unmarked SUV pulled up and the FBI questioned her, so she decided not to go. Then her FB went dark. This stuff if nuts!

It's also quite amusing reading this thread start to finish and see that the teams format is still very much in play. One thing I missed while reading through was the outrage of a unarmed woman being shot and killed while committing a crime.....I'm sure I just missed it though. :D 

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2021 at 12:48 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

We all know that insanity can be a defense to a charge of commission of a crime and that mental incapacity can be a defense to a breach of contract suit. But can obviously having a screw loose be a successful defense to a slander suit?

My understanding is yes, on two potential bases. First, if you believe what you are saying is true you are not defaming someone. My guess is that you get one swing at this defense, and that if you still spread the garbage after getting a cease and desist you are now liable for defamation. Second, if you have such a reputation as a wing nut and a liar that no one believes you or takes you seriously, then your slander or libel doesn't cause any damages because it doesn't convince anyone. I think it also makes it questionable whether the statement was a statement of fact. 

I say this as someone who is not a lawyer but reads a bit about speech law. So I could be mistaken. 

• Like 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

41 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

This whole thread is wild! I have mostly been out of pocket the past few weeks, but I watched it unfold on tv and I'm just catching up on this monster thread today. I can't believe the idiots who stormed the capitol....and those taking selfies at the podiums and desks. I'm glad to see that 400 have been identified and (at last count) 135 have been arrested. A girl I went to school with is a crazy QAnon'er who was there and her FB feed was full of just insane conspiracy theories, though she had a proclivity for such things before QAnon (the LV Shooting comes to mind) and she posted wild stuff about Pence being a robot and the fact that we all have trust funds that were sold to the Rockefeller's years ago and that we're all bought and sold like stocks...and she even looked herself up and had been actively traded recently. :huh:  Her last post was that she was on the way to the inauguration, but an unmarked SUV pulled up and the FBI questioned her, so she decided not to go. Then her FB went dark. This stuff if nuts!

It's also quite amusing reading this thread start to finish and see that the teams format is still very much in play. One thing I missed while reading through was the outrage of a unarmed woman being shot and killed while committing a crime.....I'm sure I just missed it though. :D 

Lol. Your last paragraph is all about teams and shit, so welcome aboard, I guess. Although you already know this, it bears repeating that said unarmed woman faced federal officers with drawn and aimed firearms warning intruders not to advance while defending elected officials the intruders intended to capture and possibly kill. While I don’t recall anybody here cheering the her death, it seemed clear she earned that bullet, sad as that is to write.

41 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Lol. Your last paragraph is all about teams and shit, so welcome aboard, I guess. Although you already know this, it bears repeating that said unarmed woman faced federal officers with drawn and aimed firearms warning intruders not to advance while defending elected officials the intruders intended to capture and possibly kill. While I don’t recall anybody here cheering the her death, it seemed clear she earned that bullet, sad as that is to write.

I don't disagree that she earned that bullet. She was committing a crime and the officers told her/them to stop...we agree on that completely. There were some comments that were a complete 180 from people who lamented the fact that some of the shootings in the summer (some of armed people committing crimes while being told to stop). " She died a traitor.  Hopefully she will be a lesson." and "Play stupid games..." were comments made that were a complete reversal by those that made them. 

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

It's also quite amusing reading this thread start to finish and see that the teams format is still very much in play. One thing I missed while reading through was the outrage of a unarmed woman being shot and killed while committing a crime.....I'm sure I just missed it though:D 

Slapdick comparing a person willfully, who was one of MANY, entering a place where cops are protecting congress people to unarmed people being killed while already in custody is basically why we have a problem in this country. If you think both are the same or similar you can't be helped.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Slapdick comparing a person willfully, who was one of MANY, entering a place where cops are protecting congress people to unarmed people being killed while already in custody is basically why we have a problem in this country. If you think both are the same or similar you can't be helped.

Several of those riots this summer were in support of armed people who were willfully committing a crime and not in custody being shot....nice selective memory. 

3 hours ago, Slapdad said:

I’ve always wondered what the purpose behind the Vegas shooting was.. 

nice selective memory. 

Oh, the irony. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

16 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I’ve always wondered what the purpose behind the Vegas shooting was.. 

I can direct you to her FB page if you'd like to ask. Better hurry though...it should be blocked in a day or so. And I'd use your burner FB account so the feds don't come looking for you. 

2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Some people just like to hide behind “just sayin” type comments or have laser focus on minor points of a debate because they are too chicken shit to publicly take a stance on something. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Slapdad said:

I don't disagree that she earned that bullet. She was committing a crime and the officers told her/them to stop...we agree on that completely. There were some comments that were a complete 180 from people who lamented the fact that some of the shootings in the summer (some of armed people committing crimes while being told to stop). " She died a traitor.  Hopefully she will be a lesson." and "Play stupid games..." were comments made that were a complete reversal by those that made them. 

man you have really gone around the bend

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Please explain where the irony lies here. This I've got to hear. 

You're accusing people of selective memory while leaving out the prime driver of outrage re: police abuse in 2020. Seems like you have a little of the selective memory yourself. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 2/3/2021 at 1:35 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

Some people just like to hide behind “just sayin” type comments or have laser focus on minor points of a debate because they are too chicken shit to publicly take a stance on something. 

You’ve met NorCal I see.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2