toonkee

Today's Assault on Constitutional Democracy Gamethread

We should treat this whole thing with broken windows policing. 

Sure, some of these people probably got in way over their heads with the larping and cosplay, and really didn't understand the gravity of their nonsense. Maybe their crimes were not done with 100% seditious intent, but let's act like they were and take these asshats out of circulation for a while so the world can be a better place.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, toonkee said:

How would she even begin to know how to get this to Russian intelligence?

According to the FBI affidavit, she has a friend in Russia who was going to get it to SVR.

.......stated that Williams intended to send the computer device to a friend in Russia, who then planned to sell the device to SVR, Russia’s foreign intelligence service.… the transfer...to Russia fell through for unknown reasons.

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.226160/gov.uscourts.dcd.226160.1.1.pdf

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, toonkee said:

We should treat this whole thing with broken windows policing. 

Sure, some of these people probably got in way over their heads with the larping and cosplay, and really didn't understand the gravity of their nonsense. Maybe their crimes were not done with 100% seditious intent, but let's act like they were and take these asshats out of circulation for a while so the world can be a better place.

Throw the book at them.  

Send a a message loud and clear.

29 minutes ago, toonkee said:

How would she even begin to know how to get this to Russian intelligence?

Good question and one that I heard FBI is looking into.........how much foreign influence & $$ were pumped into this if any ?!?! 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Good question and one that I heard FBI is looking into.........how much foreign influence & $$ were pumped into this if any ?!?! 

I don't know who her friend in Russia was supposed to be.

But foreign influence? Over $500,000 in bitcoin was sent to far-right groups a few weeks ago. The money was sent from France but who the sender might be connected to in other countries is still a bit unknown.

Nick Fuentes, who Riley Williams appears to be associated with, received nearly 1/2 of the money. It was the largest single bitcoin transfer Fuentes has received.

https://blog.chainalysis.com/reports/capitol-riot-bitcoin-donation-alt-right-domestic-extremism

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Trump loves orange. Orange juice, bad spray-on tans, Garfield the cat, Hooters girls, Netherlands in the Cup, you name it. If it's orange, he's obsessed with it.

Well, I agree with him on one thing...

WORLD CUP 2010: How 36 stunning models posing as Holland fans gatecrashed  the World Cup for a beer ad | Daily Mail Online

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Where there's a will, there's often a way. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_John_Boyce

Wow. That’s a crazy crime story I hadn’t heard about.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I think we should feel emboldened that the movement that struck the capital on January 6th has dramatically fizzled. I was nervous that we would see more destruction over the weekend in DC and at various state capitals. It gives me hope that those willing to commit violence for Trump were a small disillusioned group. I suspect removing Trump from Twitter and the temporary shutdown of Parler helped lower the temperature. Crossing my fingers that nothing of significance happens tomorrow and we can put this dark chapter of American History to bed (at least for a while)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

How did so many angry white men get so easily mislead to the point they stormed our capitol with no fear of hiding their identities?  The Republican Party has some serious identity questions to answer and the fight of loyal Trumpsters vs those that push back against the ugly rhetoric on race is going to be interesting to watch.  Trump really put the next generation of politicians in a bind.  I don't see guys like Hawley and Cruz recovering to the point they could win a presidential elections.  Someone like Rubio might be able to get there.  The party has to fix the race message to have any shot in my opinion of getting back in the WH.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, alum93 said:

How did so many angry white men get so easily mislead to the point they stormed our capitol with no fear of hiding their identities?  The Republican Party has some serious identity questions to answer and the fight of loyal Trumpsters vs those that push back against the ugly rhetoric on race is going to be interesting to watch.  Trump really put the next generation of politicians in a bind.  I don't see guys like Hawley and Cruz recovering to the point they could win a presidential elections.  Someone like Rubio might be able to get there.  The party has to fix the race message to have any shot in my opinion of getting back in the WH.

I'm going to give the GOP the benefit of the doubt. I know many of the polls show otherwise, but I don't believe that the majority of Republicans actually believe the election was stolen. I suspect the polling indicating otherwise is simply a show of hurt feelings that their candidate didn't win and an irrational lashing out of obscure ideals to make themselves feel better. I know that a large majority of them are decent good people that aren't that much different than the Democratic base are non-violent and were shocked to see what occurred on January 6th.  I refuse to believe that this party openly welcomes the White Supremacist/Anti-Semantic segment of their party. After some time has passed and Trump isn't a daily news item, I anticipate a large majority of the GOP will return to their senses and start a rebuild.

28 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'm going to give the GOP the benefit of the doubt. I know many of the polls show otherwise, but I don't believe that the majority of Republicans actually believe the election was stolen. I suspect the polling indicating otherwise is simply a show of hurt feelings that their candidate didn't win and an irrational lashing out of obscure ideals to make themselves feel better. I know that a large majority of them are decent good people that aren't that much different than the Democratic base are non-violent and were shocked to see what occurred on January 6th.  I refuse to believe that this party openly welcomes the White Supremacist/Anti-Semantic segment of their party. After some time has passed and Trump isn't a daily news item, I anticipate a large majority of the GOP will return to their senses and start a rebuild.

As always, I suppose it depends upon how the question was asked. If it was written to include the fact that mail in voting was greatly expanded due to the pandemic and to imply that it was somehow illegal, maybe that's how they got the poll results they were looking for :shrug:

• Like 2