toonkee

Today's Assault on Constitutional Democracy Gamethread

There were cops who were part of the mob.  The evidence as to whether some capitol police may have been complicit will come out if it exists. 

Much more troubling to me is the suggestion that congress members/senators may have been complicit.  Tours that haven't been done since March of 2020 that supposedly occurred the day before.  The new video (new to me anyway) of some broad with a bullhorn instructing insurrectionists about the layout of the capitol, and the suggestion that some panic buttons were "ripped out" or otherwise disappeared from some member's offices.

I hope Republicans complicit with this attempted coup were stupid enough to leave some kind of paper trail or other evidence so they can be dealt with swiftly and as harshly as the law allows. 

No matter what, this will stain the GOP for a long time to come.  And rightfully so.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

You were the one proven wrong about Trump’s fascism.   Also, I’m not making an assertion about any officers participation or not.  I’m merely stating all should be investigated.  The FBI agrees with me.   

Still not fascism...

It was not fascism when the government killed 14 in the worker riots in the 30's.  Was not fascism when we interred people for being Japanese.  Jim Crow is not fascism, either.

"Everything I hate is fascism"-MWCboard.

44 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

You were the one proven wrong about Trump’s fascism.   Also, I’m not making an assertion about any officers participation or not.  I’m merely stating all should be investigated.  The FBI agrees with me.   

We should stop honoring the 9/11 first responders.  Just based on the odds, a few were probably Nazi's.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Still not fascism...

Trump's (probably) not a fascist, but he shared some fascist tendencies as president. Our system (and Trump's incompetence) prevented Trump from accomplishing many of the bad things he campaigned on.

51 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I’m doing nothing of the sort thank you.   I’m saying it’s important to do the investigation and not assume all cops played no role in this debacle.  

It’s not gross nor politically motivated.  It comes from widely reported and verified data that cops have been targeted for recruitment by right wing white supremacist groups and many capital hill cops were pro-Trump.   To preclude the possibility some may have been complicit is foolish.  

So you agree that the rank and file at Capital did all they could, minus a few?   And that is possible those few were doing all they could to stall and deescelate?

Jesus Christ.

US Capitol Police have arrested a man who allegedly sought to pass a police checkpoint in Washington DC while carrying a fraudulent pass to president-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration, along with a loaded handgun and more than 500 rounds of ammunition.

An incident report from the Metropolitan Police Department obtained by CNN claims that Wesley Allen Beeler had a Glock semi-automatic pistol in his truck’s console as he passed through a checkpoint on Friday. He also reportedly carried an unauthorised pass to the inauguration ceremony.

Police also discovered more than 500 rounds of ammunition, including a magazine for the handgun and shotgun shells.

He was arrested for possession of an unregistered firearm and possession of unregistered ammunition.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/dc-arrest-capitol-gun-inauguration-b1788417.html

10 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Surprised the Capitol police did not give him a fake badge, security clearance and a 6 pack of natty light!

• Facepalm 2

On 1/7/2021 at 4:17 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Followup about "ColonelTPerez". FBI arrested the fake. He was a 58 year old from Texas who never served in any military. He also had a previous arrest 20 years ago for impersonating a LEO.

According to the FBI, he had booked an international flight leaving the country yesterday.

Arrest warrant affidavit filed by the FBI:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/press-release/file/1355371/download

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Followup about "ColonelTPerez". FBI arrested the fake. He was a 58 year old from Texas who never served in any military. He also had a previous arrest 20 years ago for impersonating a LEO.

According to the FBI, he had booked an international flight leaving the country yesterday.

Arrest warrant affidavit filed by the FBI:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/press-release/file/1355371/download

Wait, didn't someone here state that there is no proof that anyone on Parler was involved in the attack on the Capitol?

:shrug:

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

This one might be a misunderstanding due to the heightened security.

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, Maji said:

Trump's (probably) not a fascist, but he shared some fascist tendencies as president. Our system (and Trump's incompetence) prevented Trump from accomplishing many of the bad things he campaigned on.

Ever read Ordinary Men?  You, @halfmanhalfbronco?

Trump is, and has been throughout his adult life, amoral and an off the charts narcissist.  He’d do about any “ism” there is in service of his wants and desires. 

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maji said:

Trump absolutely is a fascist and yes our system (and the people who voted him out) prevented things from getting much worse.   

no thanks to @halfmanhalfbronco

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So you agree that the rank and file at Capital did all they could, minus a few?   And that is possible those few were doing all they could to stall and deescelate?

I agree it’s highly likely the rank and file did all they could considering no lawmakers were hurt.   As for the few that is why you investigate to get to the answer to your question and don’t assume.