toonkee

Today's Assault on Constitutional Democracy Gamethread

22 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

And that’s definitive proof for the whole department how?

How is it not? Damn man, must every group be freaking easy company? Even amongst that noble assortment of servants, they weren’t without cowards. The evidence shows as a whole that Capitol Police fought to the last inch when they had to, deescalated where and when they could, and saved every single member of the legislature and the Vice President, who it’s becoming clear were under serious threat to their life lest they don’t perform their constitutional duty. The Republic held. The congress for the most part gave a middle finger to the thugs who would try such a thing. The VP duly gaveled home his own defeat. Widespread heroism on the part of Capitol police made that possible. The whole department acted courageously, even if we do find out there were some exceptions.

• Like 4

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

38 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

How is it not? Damn man, must every group be freaking easy company? Even amongst that noble assortment of servants, they weren’t without cowards. The evidence shows as a whole that Capitol Police fought to the last inch when they had to, deescalated where and when they could, and saved every single member of the legislature and the Vice President, who it’s becoming clear were under serious threat to their life lest they don’t perform their constitutional duty. The Republic held. The congress for the most part gave a middle finger to the thugs who would try such a thing. The VP duly gaveled home his own defeat. Widespread heroism on the part of Capitol police made that possible. The whole department acted courageously, even if we do find out there were some exceptions.

The evidence also showed some did not.  No one is shitting on the capital police.  But conversely I would not fail to look at them and confirm none of them played a role.  Their were more than 1 or 2 cops involved in those riots.  

4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

The evidence also showed some did not.  No one is shitting on the capital police.  But conversely I would not fail to look at them and confirm none of them played a role.  Their were more than 1 or 2 cops involved in those riots.  

The evidence did not show anything of the sort until they had breached the building, and the top priority came to get congress to safety.  Makes sense you would see deescalation and stalling tactics.  You are really stretching it in your attempt to find fault with the officers on the ground that day and ignoring the dozens of videos of the charge to the the capital building.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The evidence did not show anything of the sort until they had breached the building, and the top priority came to get congress to safety.  Makes sense you would see deescalation and stalling tactics.  You are really stretching it in your attempt to find fault with the officers on the ground that day and ignoring the dozens of videos of the charge to the the capital building.

I’m not attempting to find fault with anyone.  I am simply refusing to ignore the possibility some in the organization participated.

Brian Levin, a former police officer and director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism in California, said white supremacy and far-right-wing groups are successfully recruiting local law enforcement officers. They also encourage their young members to enter law enforcement, he said.

Just now, sactowndog said:

I’m not attempting to find fault with anyone.  I am simply refusing to ignore the possibility some in the organization participated.

Brian Levin, a former police officer and director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism in California, said white supremacy and far-right-wing groups are successfully recruiting local law enforcement officers. They also encourage their young members to enter law enforcement, he said.

You are ignoring dozens of examples of video evidence and forgoing common sense.

13 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Exactly.  Follow the evidence.  Cops were being beaten to death.  They were outnumbered 50 to 1, being trampled,  being crushed behind doors and fencing and suffering serious injuries.  We have all seen the videos.  Seems more logical after all that, they decided to use de escalation techniques to stop the violence.

I have seen quotes from Rep Ryan that the officers were suspended from the force. That seems like damning evidence from a source that has way more insight than people on a message board. 

10 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Given the length of his beard, that guy must normally be on an undercover detail. Even then, to my knowledge most departments will allow tats only on areas of the body which can be covered with your uniform in the event you stop being undercover. Anybody familiar with DC Metro Police?

Other articles have said that officer is "a longtime drugs and violent crime cop". So probably undercover work.

https://wamu.org/story/21/01/15/were-the-ones-who-saved-congress-meet-three-d-c-police-officers-who-fought-for-the-u-s-capitol/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Seems like sac is just leaving the idea open.

Do you believe no officers "participated"?

No, that is not what he is doing.  He is arguing that we should not broadly generalize the cops on the ground as doing a good job, or worse, excuse them for being complicit.  His exact words

"That is evidence for one cop.  No point in broadly generalizing.  "

It's gross.  They "let's wait to hold off on praising them. some could have been Nazi's." rhetoric is bad.  It's gross.  It's politically motivated.

16 minutes ago, coalman29 said:

I have seen quotes from Rep Ryan that the officers were suspended from the force. That seems like damning evidence from a source that has way more insight than people on a message board. 

Suspended pending investigation for taking a selfie.  There have been two.  You don't know what the investigation will find.  It's not a guilty verdict and not damning. 

22 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

No I’m not agreeing to sweeping generalizations and an assumption my opinions are always correct which seems to be your stock in trade.  

You being consistently proven wrong is not a reflection on me.  Try again.

17 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

There may have been one or two bad actors among the Capitol police, but we can absolutely generalize them as doing the best they could.

I'm under the impression that's what @sactowndogmeans, or at least it's close. :shrug:

• Like 3

You being consistently proven wrong is not a reflection on me.  Try again.

You were the one proven wrong about Trump’s fascism.   Also, I’m not making an assertion about any officers participation or not.  I’m merely stating all should be investigated.  The FBI agrees with me.   

No, that is not what he is doing.  He is arguing that we should not broadly generalize the cops on the ground as doing a good job, or worse, excuse them for being complicit.  His exact words

"That is evidence for one cop.  No point in broadly generalizing.  "

It's gross.  They "let's wait to hold off on praising them. some could have been Nazi's." rhetoric is bad.  It's gross.  It's politically motivated.

I’m doing nothing of the sort thank you.   I’m saying it’s important to do the investigation and not assume all cops played no role in this debacle.  

It’s not gross nor politically motivated.  It comes from widely reported and verified data that cops have been targeted for recruitment by right wing white supremacist groups and many capital hill cops were pro-Trump.   To preclude the possibility some may have been complicit is foolish.  

• Like 1