toonkee

Today's Assault on Constitutional Democracy Gamethread

20 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Sadly, there's a lot of overreaction.  I could see a scenario where somebody outed her as having attended the rally.  Hopefully not.

overreaction?  my dude, an angry crowd made an organized attempt at the behest of the outgoing president to forcibly keep him in power.  5 people died as a result, one of which was a peacekeeper who was, by all accounts, fatally bludgeoned with a fire extinguisher.

all whipped up by lie after lie after lie about a stolen election without any credible evidence whatsoever.

the outgoing president, in the speech that whipped people up, promised evidence of that election theft that he never delivered on.

i'd say the reaction is a tad muted.  the organizers, starting with the outgoing president, should be on trial for seditious acts.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I’d argue that the United States is a Constitutional Democratic Republic.  Not a true democracy nor a true republic, and, one which is further limited to and based on a supreme law of the land.  Our representatives that pass laws and make decisions are typically voted in (sometimes not) through state selected methods to make decisions that pertain nationwide.  The system is supposed to be guided by and limited to the US Constitution.  Accordingly, there are elements of both democracy and republic in our government  but not a pure system of either.  

Not an inaccurate synopsis at all, unfortunately

Fusion is a cool concept for food trucks. 

It's proven pretty much impossible to fuse Democracy with the Rights bestowed upon each man by his creator, however. 

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

3 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

overreaction?  my dude, an angry crowd made an organized attempt at the behest of the outgoing president to forcibly keep him in power.  5 people died as a result, one of which was a peacekeeper who was, by all accounts, fatally bludgeoned with a fire extinguisher.

all whipped up by lie after lie after lie about a stolen election without any credible evidence whatsoever.

the outgoing president, in the speech that whipped people up, promised evidence of that election theft that he never delivered on.

i'd say the reaction is a tad muted.  the organizers, starting with the outgoing president, should be on trial for seditious acts.

Sounds like you will be a proponent of Patriot Act (v.0).

110926run_defense710.jpg

2 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Not an inaccurate synopsis at all, unfortunately

Fusion is a cool concept for food trucks. 

It's proven pretty much impossible to fuse Democracy with the Rights bestowed upon each man by his creator, however. 

Based on the events of this past week, I am also glad that we have limitations on a pure democracy.  It appears pretty easy to brainwash a large number of folks to believe lies and have enough competent people stay silent to go along with the lies.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Based on the events of this past week, I am also glad that we have limitations on a pure democracy.  It appears pretty easy to brainwash a large number of folks to believe lies and have enough competent people stay silent to go along with the lies.  

I haven't seen any limit on democracy. 

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

@modestobulldog has a point...

People who just attended the rally and did not breach the capitol (or aid those who did) should not be viewed as insurrectionists, and I do fear that they are being viewed that way as a lot of people. A lot of pro-Palestine activists were called terrorist sympathizers and treated as such after 9/11.

Also, it seems like people are now trying to crowd source the investigation. That is a terrible idea. Just ask these guys...

suspect-525x415.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

• Like 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, 818SUDSFan said:

As if Mike Pence saved the Union or something?

JFC. No wonder they say people in Missouri have to be shown.

The most shocking thing in all of this was that Mike Pence seems to honestly feel betrayed right now. In what world was it not clear that Trump would throw his ass under the bus immediately if he thought it was beneficial to him? Pence should have assumed this was coming. 

• Like 5
  • Cheers 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

29 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

I haven't seen any limit on democracy. 

Huh?  Who counts your vote to impeach Trump?

The answer is that you don't have a vote on the issue.  You have a state representative that casts a vote.  That state representative's vote may or may not concur with how you would have voted and it may or may not concur with how the majority of persons in that district would have voted. 

Do you still see no limit on democracy?

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

Sadly, there's a lot of overreaction.  I could see a scenario where somebody outed her as having attended the rally.  Hopefully not.

On that we agree. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

11 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

The context / dialog was asking a question of the lady on the no-fly list.  

Was she on the no-fly list or did she get booted because she refused to wear a mask on a plane? And if she was on the no-fly, was she part of breaching the capitol? (I honestly don’t know the answer and I don’t want to go through the thread.) I think we should all be concerned if they start putting people on the no-fly list for just being at the rally.

Edit: The no-fly has been problematic in itself. 

Let's say I'm just a run of the mill dumbest dummie on the planet Trumper and I just got caught up in all the fun and games.

There's no f'ing way I enter the Capitol after witnessing what it took to crack it open for me. EVERYONE knew they were violating laws in doing so, whether the police were standing down or not.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Yeah but he needs to wait his turn in line. 

The Presidential Medal of Freedom first needs to be awarded to Mark Levin, Sean Hannity and Michael Savage.

I'll be curous if Steve Bannon, Sidney Powell, Michael Flynn, Rudy Giuliani and other are on the list?  So many 'patriots' that deserve recognition.