toonkee

Today's Assault on Constitutional Democracy Gamethread

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

what happened to the degrees of differences you were referring to?

I'm not sure and I don't feel like researching.  What is your point?  My main point is all violence is wrong.  All assault and harassment is wrong, regardless if it is local burning of cop cars, disruption during the peaceful transition of power, or harassing someone wearing a MAGA hat.  It doesn't matter one's opinion or grievance, it is all wrong.  Neglected or improperly treated termites can be nearly as damaging a tornado.  We can't allow any of this, regardless if it helps "our" side.

I took yesterday afternoon and evening off and unplugged from all media. As I pointed out in the past, I view this board and similar boards primarily is entertainment with my motto as loose Cannon and tossing out stupid stuff for laughs. Mycomment about authoritarianism in retrospect was in poor taste and certainly bad timing.  To all offended, my apologies.

Taking a little time to collect some thoughts, I am concerned the direction this country is headed. I think the consensus amongst this board is that the generational wars this country is engaged in in the Middle East flowed out of an overreaction to 9/11. Yeah we can pretend it was because Bush lied, but the reality is we were out for blood and rightly so. But somewhere along the way, this country was conned into going beyond the original mission of dealing with the perpetrators. Another overreaction was the broad brush characterization of Muslims as terrorists.  

Fast forward to todays issues, what are we going to do to de-escalate and do the right thing? I would contend most likely this country will overreact to what happened this week, Patriot Act (x.0) is probably right around the corner.  We need more AndroidAggie styled discourse, less labeling of people and certainly less genitalia / sexual assault language, especially on this board. 

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

That or ... perhaps the Biden transition team is working behind the scenes trying to get as many people to wait this out as possible to ensure a smoother transition while avoiding another disaster with the 45 cult? Just a speculative theory of mine.

It is even money that Trump will pardon himself before he leaves if you don't impeach him and then you have to deal with that shit.

Even worse is the non-zero chance he tries to pardon anyone involved on Wednesday.

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

All violence is wrong, there was no excuse for what happened last year, there is no excuse for breaching the capitol building or any other violence that occurred this week.  Side doesn't matter.

Who mentioned "sides"?

Way to dodge the question.

OK, my spidey sense is tingling in a bad way. This feels like Patriot Act part 2... Here are the things that I am officially worried about after seeing conversations on TV and reading headlines after Wednesday...

*Blaming big tech for "allowing" speech associated with "treason," thus resulting in tech reforms that gut Sec. 230 and also empower the state to surveil, seize and control more online political speech in the name of preventing insurrection.

*New domestic terrorism legislation that applies international standards re: investigating terrorists (surveillance, detention) to people (and citizens) in the US. 

*New laws and/or funding mechanisms selectively empowering law enforcement for something like "insurrection prevention" that are meant to give cops more robust ability to  with investigate right-wing "terror" groups and control white riots.

Any and all of these would be horrifying intrusions into our individual liberties and would be used almost immediately by the state to violate our constitutional rights. Furthermore, they will almost certainly be implemented in ways that diverge greatly (often to the point of being unrecognizable) from their specific intent on fighting and preventing right-wing insurrections and will instead be used by law enforcement at all levels to continue fighting the drug war and/or to punish minorities and political dissenters in their jurisdictions.

Just watch...

• Like 5

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

26 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Fast forward to todays issues, what are we going to do to de-escalate and do the right thing? I would contend most likely this country will overreact to what happened this week, Patriot Act (x.0) is probably right around the corner.  

I read this after my last post. But looks like I'm not the only one whose spidey sense is up. This is a real conern. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

And Ted Cruz begins his attempt to re-write the narrative....

"The president's language and rhetoric often goes too far. I think, yesterday in particular, the president's language and rhetoric crossed the line and it was reckless. I disagree with it, and I have disagreed with the president's language and rhetoric for the last four years," Cruz said.

https://abc13.com/ted-cruz-dc-riots-did-cause-interview-riot/9443987/

• Haha 1
  • Angry 2

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Two foreigners to help Make America Great Again 

Donald Trump awards Annika Sorenstam, Gary Player Presidential Medal of Freedom

Annika is a Nevadan, sort of. Has lived in Tahoe for a long time.

I've always liked Gary Player. My dad had a comic style golf instruction book he wrote in the 60' and I used that to teach myself some fundamentals. Hope to God he's not a legit Trumper.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/08/capitol-riot-democrats-social-media-456325

‘This is going to come back and bite ’em’: Capitol breach inflames Democrats’ ire at Silicon Valley

Congress will "come back with a vengeance" at social media companies for helping foment the riots, top Senate Intelligence Committee Democrat Mark Warner said.

• Sad 1

https://www.propublica.org/article/domestic-terrorism-a-more-urgent-threat-but-weaker-laws

Domestic Terrorism: A More Urgent Threat, but Weaker Laws

Authorities dissuaded some extremists from traveling to Washington, and shared intelligence with Capitol Police, but could not stop the mob that stormed the Capitol, a senior FBI official says.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, RogueStout said:

fake news, or more correctly put - fake DK

2021-01-08-10-25-50.png

It's good to see the youngs are still arguing about what's PUUUNK and what's not!

White House counsel Pat Cipollone is considering resigning, sources familiar with his thinking tell CNN. Since the election, he had considered it multiple times but has been urged to stay for the good of the country by members of the Senate and the Cabinet.

Despite being at loggerheads with President Donald Trump in recent weeks, he has been influential behind the scenes this week with having the National Guard deployed and encouraging Trump to be more forceful in his statements.

Cipollone was among those advising the President that he could be removed from office -- via the 25th Amendment or impeachment -- if he did not more forcefully denounce the actions of his supporters who attacked the US Capitol.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/politics/pat-cipollone-white-house-counsel/index.html

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

https://www.propublica.org/article/domestic-terrorism-a-more-urgent-threat-but-weaker-laws

Domestic Terrorism: A More Urgent Threat, but Weaker Laws

Authorities dissuaded some extremists from traveling to Washington, and shared intelligence with Capitol Police, but could not stop the mob that stormed the Capitol, a senior FBI official says.

Just quoting this to be an ass. Scroll you mother+++++ers! Scroll.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

49 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

The longer Dems wait on impeachment the more R senators will rationalize themselves out of a vote to convict.   Had they done it on the spot after the electoral college you could probably have gotten at least 10-15.  Now you're down to probably Sasse and Romney.

It will never happen fast enough to even get to a Senate vote.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob said:

Duh. Makes sense. One group has a long history of violence, while the other previously didn't.

Bob, you fascist piece of shit, the proud boys have been beating the shit out of anyone walking by for four years. Michigan magas stormed their capitol. They planned to kidnap the governor. Atomwaffen is responsible for multiple murders. A terrorist blew up a truck bomb on christmas day. 

I mean... in FBI internal documents, they say they can't cooperate with local law enforcement against white supremacists because local law enforcement is so heavily subverted. Your side is winning. 

• Like 4

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

7 minutes ago, Bob said:

Duh. Makes sense. One group has a long history of violence, while the other previously didn't.

Besides Proud Boys, white nationalists, Patriot Prayer, 3%ers, skinheads who comprise a portion of the MAGA crew, sure.  Neither loose affiliations of MAGA or BLM are without fault and crime.  Your despisal of BLM as a whole, while your defense of MAGA shows that you are willingly participating in a bias.  How about defending either of the two movements members who are peaceful, and parsing out those that bring violence and condemn them?  

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Just quoting this to be an ass. Scroll you mother+++++ers! Scroll.

The reference went way over my head. I don't get it...

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

The reference went way over my head. I don't get it...

The damn new software of the board foiled my evil plan. Nm.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

The damn new software of the board foiled my evil plan. Nm.

You would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that meddling software. 

• Haha 3
  • Angry 1