Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

WAC Football is back

I know the OP is about WAC FB, the basketball component is gonna be pretty good.  Stephen F Austin was poised for their 5th NCAA berth in the last 7 years last before COVID shut things down.  They have 2 tourney wins in that same time period.  They were 28-3 with a win on Duke's home floor.  Abilene Christian is having a great year.  With Bryce Drew, Mark Madsen and Billy Clyde Gillespie in the coaching ranks, I really like the basketball potential of the WAC.

On the FB front, Sam Houston State has the second most wins in FCS over the past 10 years.  Sounds like a team ready to take a step up.  The Tarleton State brass has been very open about their plans to go FBS.  The NMSU AD told me, in a face to face conversation this summer, that Tarleton wanted to go FBS.  Here is an article where their AD talks openly about FBS.

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-wa-cs-return-in-football-lead-to-a-revival-of-the-glory-days-023123013.html

I don't know that the WAC will go FBS, but they are openly talking about it.  A letter from the SHSU brass stated "During the initial year of membership football-playing institutions will commit to an analysis of all implications of a move to FBS".  So a WAC FBS is very much on the docket despite what the pundits are saying.  Bottom line, things are looking up for NMSU.

9 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Seattle has got to be on the phone with the Big Sky right now.  The Redhawks are an upgrade over Southern Utah.

Just as the WAC has got to be on the phone with Northern Arizona right now.

This is how the WAC footprint would look if Seattle and Northern Arizona traded conferences and the WAC added West Texas A&M to round out the Southwest Division:

50839108162_f940e63916_b.jpg

37 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Just as the WAC has got to be on the phone with Northern Arizona right now.

This is how the WAC footprint would look if Seattle and Northern Arizona traded conferences and the WAC added West Texas A&M to round out the Southwest Division:

50839108162_f940e63916_b.jpg

How do you do that?

The WAC was the only place that could take BSU's oly sports if they move FB to the AAC.   With the WAC now playing FB, that option is off the table.   If they can't get their olys into the BW, their FB can't go anywhere.:( 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

48 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Seattle has got to be on the phone with the Big Sky right now.  The Redhawks are an upgrade over Southern Utah.

And what do you propose they do with baseball and men's soccer?  Seattle will need a new home for those two

NMSU always wanted to be in the MWC, would have been happy with CUSA and settled for the Sunbelt.  But the new WAC is intriguing.  I think the WAC BB component is already better than the BW, SB and maybe even CUSA.  We would always be a geographic outlier in the SB and their BB stinks.  CUSA has really gone downhill and we would be a geographic outlier but we would have a travel partner in UTEP.  At first glance, the MWC looks like the best fit, but several of the existing schools have screwed us over, a lot of existing schools are not happy with the MWC and I fear we would get screwed again if we somehow found our way into the MWC.

Enter the WAC.  While I don't think a lot of the schools are our peers academically, the geography is perfect.  BB is looking up.  And maybe, just maybe we would win some games against these FCS move ups.  Although I am fully aware that there is not a lot of difference between the worst FBS programs (NMSU) and the best FCS programs (SHSU).  But there is a lot to like.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

How do you do that?

I use Google maps to create and save a custom map, then take a screenshot of the map and save it as a JPG, then upload the JPG to my Flickr page, and finally post the image here by linking to the URL of the Flickr file.

Sounds like a lot of work but it only takes minutes now that I have the process down.

Here's one showing what the Big Sky footprint would look like after a Seattle-Northern Arizona trade:

50860150653_e609a67fbe_b.jpg

22 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I think the WAC's priority is to shrink the conference footprint, not expand it (except in Texas obviously).

I am not sure about this.  The WAC expansion was great news for NMSU as it stabilized the conference for years to come for oly sports, provides FCS opponents to help fill out future FBS schedules, and actually helped with SOS for basketball.  With that in mind,  i don't think the WAC will look to shrink the conference in the immediate future.  Chicago State has already stated they will not be part of WAC after next season.  Seattle is easy to fly in and out of.  If they were to find a new conference,  i don't think the WAC would mind.  At the same time,  i don't think they have a problem with Seattle staying either.  I might be wrong, or maybe i missed an article talking about it.  But after struggling for so many years and to finally get the numbers up with schools that really want to be in the conference,  i don't think the WAC wants to lose anyone in the short term.  I know this has been talked about in the MWC expansion thread, but expanding into Texas is a really good idea.  It has a huge population and will continue to grow.  And they absolutely love their football.

6 minutes ago, alum93 said:

I am not sure about this.  The WAC expansion was great news for NMSU as it stabilized the conference for years to come for oly sports, provides FCS opponents to help fill out future FBS schedules, and actually helped with SOS for basketball.  With that in mind,  i don't think the WAC will look to shrink the conference in the immediate future.  Chicago State has already stated they will not be part of WAC after next season.  Seattle is easy to fly in and out of.  If they were to find a new conference,  i don't think the WAC would mind.  At the same time,  i don't think they have a problem with Seattle staying either.  I might be wrong, or maybe i missed an article talking about it.  But after struggling for so many years and to finally get the numbers up with schools that really want to be in the conference,  i don't think the WAC wants to lose anyone in the short term.  I know this has been talked about in the MWC expansion thread, but expanding into Texas is a really good idea.  It has a huge population and will continue to grow.  And they absolutely love their football.

Mongoose is talking about the WAC footprint, not the conference itself.  Adding the TX4 and booting ChiSt shrank the footprint.  Adding Portland St would expand the footprint.  Heck, adding Idaho would expand the footprint.

8 minutes ago, alum93 said:

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the WAC push out Seattle but rather that (1) a trade of Seattle for Northern Arizona could be a win-win and (2) it's not really desirable to add Portland State to the conference.

Just now, PojoPops said:

Mongoose is talking about the WAC footprint, not the conference itself.  Adding the TX4 and booting ChiSt shrank the footprint.  Adding Portland St would expand the footprint.  Heck, adding Idaho would expand the footprint.

I was responding to moving forward for the new WAC.  I am not sure the WAC will look to be proactive in shrinking the footprint with the new members announced and loss of Chicago State.  We shall see.  I like having Seattle in the conference.