Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

WAC Football is back

Just now, alum93 said:

Been down that way many times.  Pretty easy to get to.  Just have to fly in to a small airport.  I'm actually really happy with today's news for WAC all around.

McAllen?  Harlingen?  Only one of the Texas schools (Lamar) has a direct flight.  Abilene and Tarleton will have to make their way to DFW, Sam Houston and SFA to Houston.  And that's IF they fly.  And that's just for the Texas schools.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

A division of schools all located in one state.  Another division of schools spread out throughout the southwest.  Sounds familiar.

Although this time, both divisions have members with football.

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

McAllen?  Harlingen?  Only one of the Texas schools (Lamar) has a direct flight.  Abilene and Tarleton will have to make their way to DFW, Sam Houston and SFA to Houston.  And that's IF they fly.  And that's just for the Texas schools.

Correct, Harlingen.  It's 38 mile drive.  I've never flow in to McAllen.

Guest #1Stunner

WAC is turning into a solid, nice little basketball conference.

Pretty good for FCS football.

But they are completely delusional (or not being completely honest) if they think they will be FBS in 5 years. 

The State of Utah already has BYU, USU, and UTAH.   No way they can support FBS Southern Utah or Dixie.

Texas would be overrun with FBS Schools....

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-sports/wac-announces-five-new-league-members-return-of-football-in-2022/

A person with knowledge of the situation told KTSM that the plan is to transition back to the FBS level at some point in the next decade, ideally within the next five years. That’s where New Mexico State factors in.

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

But they are completely delusional (or not being completely honest) if they think they will be FBS in 5 years. 

The State of Utah already has BYU, USU, and UTAH.   No way they can support FBS Southern Utah or Dixie.

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-sports/wac-announces-five-new-league-members-return-of-football-in-2022/

A person with knowledge of the situation told KTSM that the plan is to transition back to the FBS level at some point in the next decade, ideally within the next five years. That’s where New Mexico State factors in.

Think of the millions of kids that play high school football.  I highly doubt a handful of schools moving from FCS with 60+ scholarships to FBS with 85+ scholarships would make a difference when there are currently only 130 FBS schools.  The huge gap is between P5 and G5.  6 or 7 more G5 schools won't matter one bit.  The schools that spend like no tomorrow and fill stadiums that would sit multiple Laramies and Logans for one afternoon, not the students but the entire towns, will continue to run the show.  

I also don't think the WAC schools will move up in a 5 year timeframe.  Maybe 10.  I was always concerned about the WAC being on the edge with schools like UMKC and Chicago State that would leave for a more regional conference or just not have the budgets to continue.  Not only does this get the numbers back up, but it's a pretty cool FCS conference with D1 basketball with option to maybe look at FBS later on.

Guest #1Stunner
52 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Think of the millions of kids that play high school football.  I highly doubt a handful of schools moving from FCS with 60+ scholarships to FBS with 85+ scholarships would make a difference when there are currently only 130 FBS schools.  The huge gap is between P5 and G5.  6 or 7 more G5 schools won't matter one bit.  The schools that spend like no tomorrow and fill stadiums that would sit multiple Laramies and Logans for one afternoon, not the students but the entire towns, will continue to run the show.  

I also don't think the WAC schools will move up in a 5 year timeframe.  Maybe 10.  I was always concerned about the WAC being on the edge with schools like UMKC and Chicago State that would leave for a more regional conference or just not have the budgets to continue.  Not only does this get the numbers back up, but it's a pretty cool FCS conference with D1 basketball with option to maybe look at FBS later on.

I can tell you've never been to the SUU or Dixie campuses.   10 years would be a pipe dream.   Like I said, Utah can't support than many FBS programs.   Neither can Texas.

SUU is tiny.  So is Cedar City.   There is no money in that town to support FBS football.

Dixie could probably support an FBS football program.....in about 25 years.

For basketball, I think the WAC is now more appealing and better than the Big West.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

A division of schools all located in one state.  Another division of schools spread out throughout the southwest.  Sounds familiar.

Although this time, both divisions have members with football.

The WAC might have surpassed the Big West as a basketball conference.

The Big West should have followed your call to add Grand Canyon a few years back. 

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I can tell you've never been to the SUU or Dixie campuses.   10 years would be a pipe dream.   Like I said, Utah can't support than many FBS programs.   Neither can Texas.

SUU is tiny.  So is Cedar City.   There is no money in that town to support FBS football.

Dixie could probably support and FBS football program.....in about 25 years.

For basketball, I think the WAC is now more appealing and better than the Big West.

You are correct, never been to either school or town so i'll take your word for it.  I am not worried one bit about the FBS part of it because i didn't expect that to be part of the announcement.  A stable oly sports conference is what i am excited to see, finally, for the first time since WAC 1.0 fell apart for NMSU.  WAC 2.0 treaded water and survived, and now we'll see what WAC 3.0 looks like for NMSU basketball and baseball.  NMSU AD gave a really good interview today and talked about having solid FBS schedule through 2025 and 2026, and also how happy he was that this plan came together for the stability of the conference.  I don't see this impacting NMSU FBS schedules for years to come at all, except to give them some more options for an additional FCS home game to help fill out a 12 game schedule down the road.

I see no chance of the WAC returning as an FBS conference, but certainly some of the new Texas additions are looking to leverage the WAC's special status as a conference that previously sponsored FBS football to move up to FBS without requiring any special exemption from the NCAA.  They could join NMSU as FBS independents and then hope for a Sun Belt or CUSA invitation down the road when the next realignment earthquake arrives.  Smart strategy on their part, and not overly threatening to the WAC since a majority of the football members are likely to prefer remaining at the FCS level to going the FBS independent route.

Guest #1Stunner
24 minutes ago, alum93 said:

You are correct, never been to either school or town so i'll take your word for it.  I am not worried one bit about the FBS part of it because i didn't expect that to be part of the announcement.  A stable oly sports conference is what i am excited to see, finally, for the first time since WAC 1.0 fell apart for NMSU.  WAC 2.0 treaded water and survived, and now we'll see what WAC 3.0 looks like for NMSU basketball and baseball.  NMSU AD gave a really good interview today and talked about having solid FBS schedule through 2025 and 2026, and also how happy he was that this plan came together for the stability of the conference.  I don't see this impacting NMSU FBS schedules for years to come at all, except to give them some more options for an additional FCS home game to help fill out a 12 game schedule down the road.

From an objective standpoint, NMSU is currently doing more than UNM.

Better basketball.   WAC probably helps.

Football is about even.  Independence hasn't hurt NMSU at all. 

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

That is fantastic news for the WAC, they were such a drag on the conference. That, the addition of the Texas schools, and the departure this year of UMKC have made them much more concise geographically and which should help them be more stable. 

Chicago State has been a drag on the WAC and the state of Illinois as well for many years. Their graduation rate is very low and they've had all sorts of legal problem$. Even their accreditation was in jeopardy. Good riddance!

WAC Announces Expansion, Plans to Reinstate Football

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

They're not new programs though.   They're already FCS program who already fight for recruits with Texas schools.  That's basically 100 more scholarship players--Texas has that talent to go around.  I don't know about all of them, The facilities are already close to FBS level.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

They're not new programs though.   They're already FCS program who already fight for recruits with Texas schools.  That's basically 100 more scholarship players--Texas has that talent to go around.  I don't know about all of them, The facilities are already close to FBS level.

I still say that the MWC needs to get into Texas, while they can. 

1 hour ago, crixus said:

Chicago State has been a drag on the WAC and the state of Illinois as well for many years. Their graduation rate is very low and they've had all sorts of legal problem$. Even their accreditation was in jeopardy. Good riddance!

WAC Announces Expansion, Plans to Reinstate Football

Chicago State also helped keep the WAC afloat.

37 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Chicago State also helped keep the WAC afloat.

Neither UMKC or Chicago State were good fits for different reasons, but both were absolutely necessary to keep numbers up at a critical point.  The new look WAC is so much better on paper, but i will always be grateful for the WAC schools that stayed for a few years and bridged the gap while giving NMSU a home for oly sports - Chicago State, Cal Bakersfield, UMKC.  The only real outlier moving forward by geography from the west division is Seattle, but it's super easy to fly in and out of.  I hope they stick around.

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

Neither UMKC or Chicago State were good fits for different reasons, but both were absolutely necessary to keep numbers up at a critical point.  The new look WAC is so much better on paper, but i will always be grateful for the WAC schools that stayed for a few years and bridged the gap while giving NMSU a home for oly sports - Chicago State, Cal Bakersfield, UMKC.  The only real outlier moving forward by geography from the west division is Seattle, but it's super easy to fly in and out of.  I hope they stick around.

Trade them to the Big Sky for Sac State.

2 hours ago, WAC_FAN said:

The facilities are already close to FBS level.

Um, no...none of the new WAC Texas schools plays in a stadium that seats more than 16k, and a couple of them would make decent HS stadiums.  And some of them ARE new programs - Lamar's football team is 10 years old, Tarleton is still transitioning from D2, and Abilene Christian made the jump from D2 7 years ago.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

Um, no...none of the new WAC Texas schools plays in a stadium that seats more than 16k, and a couple of them would make decent HS stadiums.  And some of them ARE new programs - Lamar's football team is 10 years old, Tarleton is still transitioning from D2, and Abilene Christian made the jump from D2 7 years ago.

You're correct, I lived in Texas for 3 years and remember that there are some HS Stadiums that hold 20K +. So I looked it up. 

https://www.wideopencountry.com/10-biggest-high-school-football-stadiums-texas/