Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

WAC Football is back

On 1/6/2021 at 9:54 AM, NevadaFan said:

Five DI programs in Utah w/3.5m residents. 
Seven DI programs in Cal w/38m residents. 

3.5 million in Utah? Mmmmm try 3, you are giving them additional numbers that don't exist. 

On 1/6/2021 at 1:57 PM, BodyBagGame said:

Does Dixie State change their name any time soon?

St. George State?

Mountain Meadows State?

Snow Canyon U? (to compete with Grand Canyon U for odd name recognition) 

This will stabilize the WAC for years to come.  I am pleasantly surprised and happy that NMSU has a secure oly sports home and also an FCS football pool to draw from for a home game every year to go along with the MWC/CUSA/Sun Belt/indy opponents.  Cool.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:42 PM, e-zone99 said:

I'll add a few more---

4- Pac 12: Cal, Stanford, UCLA, and USC

3- MWC: San Jose St, Fresno St, and San Diego St

4- FCS: UC Davis, Cal Poly, Sacramento St, and San Diego

2- DII: Humboldt St and Azusa Pacific

8- DIII: Cal Lutheran, Chapman, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, La Verne, Occidental, Pomona-Pitzer, Redlands, and Whittier

1- NAIA: Menlo

Then there is all of the JC that play football also, what does Utah have (Snow and anyone else?).  On a side note it's not like Weber St (Big Sky), Southern Utah (Big Sky), and Dixie St (WAC: January of 2019 started transition to DI/FCS) aren't already FCS (Utah Valley is also FCS in the WAC as a non-football school).

FIFY. These dropped football any where from a decade ago to as recently as last month.

I did see a tweet last week that Lincoln University in Oakland will field a NAIA team. (Never heard of Lincoln U until some CFB podcaster re-tweeted the tweet about football.

http://www.lincolnuca.edu/studentlife/athleticintro#%2Fstudentlife%2Fathleticintro

On 1/6/2021 at 9:57 AM, jdgaucho said:

Adios, @CPslograd.  Cal Poly can go sink someone else's RPI and NET rankings now.

Poly would only ever leave for football only, don't you think?  If even that.

BTW, the Runners are loaded this year.  Seriously, going to win the BWC this year.

https://www.bakersfield.com/sports/college/runners-complete-sweep-of-poly-improve-to-3-1-in-big-west/article_fbf4bda4-52fe-11eb-9429-c3ad02d4a913.html

I just can't see it making sense to leave the BWC for Poly till things sort out with football and the power 5 versus everyone else, don't you think?

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

Poly would only ever leave for football only, don't you think?  If even that.

BTW, the Runners are loaded this year.  Seriously, going to win the BWC this year.

https://www.bakersfield.com/sports/college/runners-complete-sweep-of-poly-improve-to-3-1-in-big-west/article_fbf4bda4-52fe-11eb-9429-c3ad02d4a913.html

I just can't see it making sense to leave the BWC for Poly till things sort out with football and the power 5 versus everyone else, don't you think?

Makes no sense for "Poly," or Davis, or Sac State to move to the WAC just for football. " Heck, Poly might now be a member here, had they moved their football program to FBS in '96 like Boise and Idaho did :hmmm:

The Birds will earn props if they split at Hawaii.  They should be able to take down some middle tiered Rainbows.

1 hour ago, Jeffkills said:

Hmm...

We should put a random sport there just to have a contact in the conference...

Will it accommodate chess?

Start a Men's Soccer program. Air Force, SJSU and UNLV have teams in the WAC. 

Welcome Back Reaction GIF by reactionseditor  WAC.jpg

1 hour ago, crixus said:

Start a Men's Soccer program. Air Force, SJSU and UNLV have teams in the WAC. 

Soccer fans are by far the best on the planet...

I wonder which fans are actually the most notorious.  Russians, Germans, English???

I'm sure there's a country that pretty much lays claim to that title...  I'm thinking Russian..

New-Signature.jpg

Just now, Jeffkills said:

Soccer fans are by far the best on the planet...

I wonder which fans are actually the most notorious.  Russians, Germans, English???

I'm sure there's a country that pretty much lays claim to that title...  I'm thinking Russian..

New-Signature.jpg

Official.  WAC football returns in 2022.

https://www.wacsports.com/general/2020-21/releases/20210113xbg9zk

Abillene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston State, Stephen F Austin and Southetn Utah are joining. Those five, along with Dixie State and Tarleton State, is enough for an FCS auto bid. They are seeking an 8th fb member.

Rumor has it UT-Rio Grande Valley will be starting football themselves, but that is TBD.

3 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Official.  WAC football returns in 2022.

https://www.wacsports.com/general/2020-21/releases/20210113xbg9zk

Abillene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston State, Stephen F Austin and Southetn Utah are joining. Those five, along with Dixie State and Tarleton State, is enough for an FCS auto bid. They are seeking an 8th fb member.

Rumor has it UT-Rio Grande Valley will be starting football themselves, but that is TBD.

UTRGV has committed to adding FCS football.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2021/01/14/utrgv-commits-to-add-fcs-football-by-2024?ref=article_preview_img

5 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

They had been hanging on by their fingernails for a few years.  They had been the one horrible program in the WAC that was in the 300s and unable to find even a minimal amount of success with any consistency.  I feel bad for them, but it's good for the WAC in terms of strength of schedule.  With the new members and stability for the conference, it makes sense for them to move on and find a more regional home with lower level of play.

24 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Good news is they have a stadium already (probably).  2nd division pro soccer team has a nice little stadium there.

Bad news is it's still in Edinburg, Tx.  Travel will be...interesting.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, RSF said:

Good news is they have a stadium already (probably).  2nd division pro soccer team has a nice little stadium there.

Bad news is it's still in Edinburg, Tx.  Travel will be...interesting.

Been down that way many times.  Pretty easy to get to.  Just have to fly in to a small airport.  I'm actually really happy with today's news for WAC all around.

3 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

That is fantastic news for the WAC, they were such a drag on the conference. That, the addition of the Texas schools, and the departure this year of UMKC have made them much more concise geographically which should help them be more stable.