Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

WAC Football is back

The WAC is seeking a return to FBS status by decade's end. But they likely wouldn't be included in the next CFP contract

18 minutes ago, B_Lootz said:

No NMSU?? This is where they should be and gives them the best opportunity to win, IMO.

Nope.  Thanks primarily to the MWC, but also the other G5 conferences and P5 money games,  NMSU FBS schedules look just fine out for the next 4 years.  Beating an MWC team in USU in the 2017 Arizona Bowl certainly helped.  Frankly,  there is zero reason to drop down as long as G5 teams schedule games.  We have always been a basketball school first and foremost, but i'll take FBS games over FCS games any day.  It's also important to point out that NMSU balances its athletic budget, so it isn't burning through cash it doesn't have.  

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Congrats to BYU.  When stunner told us this was going to happen and when BYU led this charge to bring back WAC football, I didn’t think it was possible.  Job well done @#1Stunner

Thank you for the kind words!

Both Dixie and SUU have produced coaches and players for BYU over the years.  It is good news for the State of Utah, for sure.

I expect BYU to regularly schedule SUU and Dixie in football and basketball.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Both Dixie and SUU have produced coaches and players for BYU over the years.  It is good news for the State of Utah, for sure.

Basketball is fine...  Football? No thanks!

v0icAvfW.jpg

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

Nope.  Thanks primarily to the MWC, but also the other G5 conferences and P5 money games,  NMSU FBS schedules look just fine out for the next 4 years.  Beating an MWC team in USU in the 2017 Arizona Bowl certainly helped.  Frankly,  there is zero reason to drop down as long as G5 teams schedule games.  We have always been a basketball school first and foremost, but i'll take FBS games over FCS games any day.  It's also important to point out that NMSU balances its athletic budget, so it isn't burning through cash it doesn't have.  

It is in the best interest of the MWC to have NMSU continue playing FBS Football. Easy backfill if something happens and a member leaves. Regional opponent who is easy and familiar to work with by our AD's.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner
58 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Basketball is fine...  Football? No thanks!

Meh... we (like everyone) schedule 1 annual FCS game a year. 

I like the idea of scheduling in-state FCS schools.  We also need to try and expand our deal with Wyoming.  Their fanbase loves BYU.

Guest #1Stunner
43 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

It is in the best interest of the MWC to have NMSU continue playing FBS Football. Easy backfill if something happens and a member leaves. Regional opponent who is easy and familiar to work with by our AD's.

NMSU might have a stronger athletic department than UNM now.  

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Does Dixie State change their name any time soon?

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

I am fine with whatever reasoning the MWC has.  Just keep scheduling the games please.  Our basketball team has been just fine, and Jans will be here for at least another year.  Football schedules look awesome thru 2024 which is 4 full seasons.  I expect 2025 to start filling in quickly.  Honestly we have several advantages Idaho doesn't.  Bigger facilities with a much bigger population to draw from.  Stadiums sit 30k+ and 12k+.  Whereas Idaho didn't have rivals close by to schedule,  UNM and UTEP are annual games, with one of those games always at home.  And NMSU student population is larger.  I think all those added up to surviving the jump to indy, versus moving to FCS several years ago when Sun Belt went to 10.

And you are right, NMSU is a FBS regional opponent out west with a lot of history with MWC schools.