Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

What does the MWC have to do to get more respect?

The thread title says it all..

What can the MWC do? What’s the goal? Is the MWC’s goal just being part of the G5? Or is there a real effort to be seen like the league once was when TCU-UTAH-BYU played here?

Is it possible to get back to the TCU-UTAH-BYU days with this bunch? If so, how?

Wyoming, CSU, AFA, NM, and UNLV remain from that roster. The fans at these schools feel the loss of what we had. We want that back.

So, how are we measuring success now? 3rd tier bowl records? 

San Jose State’s loss yesterday did more damage than any of those other wins did good. Am I wrong in admitting that? That game had a National time slot on CBS, and it was over before it began.

Dont get me wrong. I am NOT dunking on SJSU. In fact, I think SJSU needs to be a top-level MWC team going forward.

HOWEVER, I want to know HOW the MWC is going to measure success going forward, and can we actually differentiate ourselves. I.E. Are we capable with this lineup?

Right now, it is my opinion that the MWC is behind the AAC, Sunbelt, and apparently the MAC. The only league I believe the MWC is better than - right now - is CUSA.

I think the “MWC originals” definitely need to do our part, but where is the hope? Who will be the MWC’s App St, Coastal, Louisiana, etc? Those are all teams that came out of nowhere to make noise.

3mxsBs3.jpg

A lot to unpack here so I'll just address the current state of Wyoming football.  I like how the State, University and donors have funded the program and built up the facilities.  Wyoming is doing it's part in this regard.  I like Coach Bohl.  I think he is a good coach and fit for UW.  Where I fault him is his inability to evolve on offense.  The Cowboys desperatley need to move on from Coach Vigen and this means Craig Bohl admitting the offense is not balanced and not working.  I have confidence in Coach Bohl's ability to recruit, develop and field a solid if not excellent defense.  I've little confidence in his ability to develop and field a solid offense on a consistent basis.  As the saying goes, go with your strengths and hire to fill your weaknesses.

Coach Bohl has developed good O-lines and RB's.  The passing game has been awful in all but one season of his Tenure at UW.  With the Cowboys running game success even a competent passing ability would make the Cowboys far more lethal.  As it stands opponents barely have to think about defending the pass when playing the Cowboys.  Until or unless the Cowboys can recruit, develop and field a competent passing ability they will hover around the .500 mark.

Agreed that OOC games are definitely an integral part of this equation. I wonder if there is room in this landscape to recreate “the big 3” or a similar dynamic.

Could that happen through expansion (like we got with TCU) and/or will those new stadiums propel those programs into stalwarts.

Josh Allen could help Wyoming in a similar way that Tomlinson helped TCU’s rise. Will it? That remains to be seen.

I wish the conference could do more with bowl alliances/creative scheduling/promotion/etc. Is it plausible to set up a “series” with another G5 during bowl season? If those are the kinds of games we will get then at least give them added meaning in some way - instead of playing a random slate. Perhaps CBS can promote a series with one of those other conferences as a holiday event.

Of course we go into every season anticipating winning the Autobid, but when that doesn’t happen it hurts bad. There needs to be a better fallback scenario in place. Those Liberty Bowl Champions Bowls with the CUSA Champion were better than anything we have had in a long time.

3mxsBs3.jpg

The MWC has a marketing issue, not a performance issue.  The MWC has a winning record vs the AAC. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Start recruiting in the east where they still care about football. It’s a dying sport in the west including the intermountain west. 

On a serious note MWC teams need to get faster. When I watch AAC teams they look like they have better overall team speed. 

8 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The MWC has a marketing issue, not a performance issue.  The MWC has a winning record vs the AAC. 

I don’t believe a small sample size of random Matchups reflects conference strength.

The conference needs to make noise on a national level by playing (and beating) the top teams in all conferences. Having a middle team beat another conferences middle team won’t carry any weight.

Thats why the SJSU game was significant. If we are going to schedule those games it’s going to become part of the media narrative.

3mxsBs3.jpg

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Start recruiting in the east where they still care about football. It’s a dying sport in the west including the intermountain west. 

Agree. I think having TCU in the league was big on that level. The MWC became a respected league in a populous state that is built on 7 on 7. The MWC used to get kids like the QB Johnson who played at UTAH.

3mxsBs3.jpg

Self promote like the American

Win more OOC games 

Have more than 1 team ranked in top 25 for more than just a week or 2 each year.

Produce an undefeated champion each year

Get compelling bowl tie ins 

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

6 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

I don’t believe a small sample size of random Matchups reflects conference strength.

The conference needs to make noise on a national level by playing (and beating) the top teams in all conferences. Having a middle team beat another conferences middle team won’t carry any weight.

Thats why the SJSU game was significant. If we are going to schedule those games it’s going to become part of the media narrative.

Last year the MWC had a winning record vs the P5. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

Is it possible to get back to the TCU-UTAH-BYU days with this bunch? If so, how?

Wyoming, CSU, AFA, NM, and UNLV remain from that roster. The fans at these schools feel the loss of what we had. We want that back.

SDSU also.  In short, no - those days are gone and there are no west coast teams to add to strengthen the conference (other than BYU) and only the looming threat of losing top teams. 

The rise of the Sun Belt will be short-lived.  

Back in the days when fans were allowed to attend games the MWC was on a tier above CUSA, SB, and MAC in attendance.  Someday that will again matter for for budgets and recruiting.

Back when scheduling had four non-conf games the relative strength of conferences calculated out better.

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

The thread title says it all..

What can the MWC do? What’s the goal? Is the MWC’s goal just being part of the G5? Or is there a real effort to be seen like the league once was when TCU-UTAH-BYU played here?

So, how are we measuring success now? 3rd tier bowl records? 

San Jose State’s loss yesterday did more damage than any of those other wins did good. Am I wrong in admitting that? That game had a National time slot on CBS, and it was over before it began.

Dont get me wrong. I am NOT dunking on SJSU. In fact, I think SJSU needs to be a top-level MWC team going forward.

HOWEVER, I want to know HOW the MWC is going to measure success going forward, and can we actually differentiate ourselves. I.E. Are we capable with this lineup?

Right now, it is my opinion that the MWC is behind the AAC, Sunbelt, and apparently the MAC. The only league I believe the MWC is better than - right now - is CUSA.

I think the “MWC originals” definitely need to do our part, but where is the hope? Who will be the MWC’s App St, Coastal, Louisiana, etc? Those are all teams that came out of nowhere to make noise.

Of your "originals," SDSU is the only one who is keeping pace with the rest of us from the WAC. Boise, Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, run the joint, USU had a nice run, we'll see on SJSU.

UNM, UNLV, CSU, WYO, AFA, are the anchors of the conference dragging ua down.

41 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

On a serious note MWC teams need to get faster. When I watch AAC teams they look like they have better overall team speed. 

Not the East, the south. 75% of NFL defensive linemen are from the south. That’s part of the reason why west coast teams haven’t been successful nationally. 

17 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Step one must be amending the term sheet deal to increase Boise’s cut of the television revenue. 

james corden GIF by Tony Awards

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Agreed that OOC games are definitely an integral part of this equation. I wonder if there is room in this landscape to recreate “the big 3” or a similar dynamic.

Could that happen through expansion (like we got with TCU) and/or will those new stadiums propel those programs into stalwarts.

Josh Allen could help Wyoming in a similar way that Tomlinson helped TCU’s rise. Will it? That remains to be seen.

I wish the conference could do more with bowl alliances/creative scheduling/promotion/etc. Is it plausible to set up a “series” with another G5 during bowl season? If those are the kinds of games we will get then at least give them added meaning in some way - instead of playing a random slate. Perhaps CBS can promote a series with one of those other conferences as a holiday event.

Of course we go into every season anticipating winning the Autobid, but when that doesn’t happen it hurts bad. There needs to be a better fallback scenario in place. Those Liberty Bowl Champions Bowls with the CUSA Champion were better than anything we have had in a long time.

Tomlinson had zero to do with TCU's rise you absolute monkey.

Best thing the MWC could do right now?  Kick Wyoming out of the +++++ing conference.  +++++ Laramie.

Our "blue bloods" don't run the table. Having that zero in the loss column gets you attention and NY6 spots 

Top to bottom I don't think The ACC is any better than The Pac 12, but The ACC has Clemson so they're always in the playoff.  Meanwhile no one dominates The Pac 12, so they get shutout. The Pac 12 unfairly has a perception problem due to this

Your conference is not judged by its depth,  it's judged by your best teams

42 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Step one must be amending the term sheet deal to increase Boise’s cut of the television revenue. 

...  I would’ve said ditch Craig Thompson.  He’s a disaster.  It’s truly mind-boggling that he’s been able to just coast in his role for so long. 

v0icAvfW.jpg

23 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Tomlinson had zero to do with TCU's rise you absolute monkey.

Best thing the MWC could do right now?  Kick Wyoming out of the +++++ing conference.  +++++ Laramie.

Convince me this is isn’t a Stunner sock, rather than an honest to goodness Cowboy fan. This is exactly the type of “sincere question full of subtle put downs” troll he runs, although the conversational style is different at this point.