Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mundyc3

UNLV Recruit Zaon Collins Arrested, DUI Crash With Fatality

This reminds me of the BSU football player that got in a road rage incident with some guy. They were both doing 100 mph + when the other guys car hit a car pulling out into an intersection killing the guy and members of his family. 

I believe the football player got off with a fine for speeding and reckless driving. The other dude is still probably in prison. 

On 1/1/2021 at 3:45 PM, SDSUfan said:

5ng/ml can be found in the bloodstream of someone who smoked as far back as 3 weeks -1 month.

It's a ridiculous standard that in no way suggests a person was impaired.  

If you are a casual user who hasn't used in days and get into an accident, there is a good chance you could be charged with a DUI.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

This reminds me of the BSU football player that got in a road rage incident with some guy. They were both doing 100 mph + when the other guys car hit a car pulling out into an intersection killing the guy and members of his family. 

I believe the football player got off with a fine for speeding and reckless driving. The other dude is still probably in prison. 

The other dude's toxicology report was the difference.  High on meth and drunk.

Cam Hall.

I was a young whipper snapper back then but I remember there being mixed feeling in the family with Hall being allowed back on the team.

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Except they can’t pay debt on their school. That makes sense. 

LVRJ

Hey, every pvt school cries poverty to spur more rich donos. They got $100 million in football facilities alone, the athletes are driving around in way nicer cars than the teaching staff. Everything at that school is the best of the best.

The money the Fertitta's threw in to help pay for UNLV's $35 mill practice facility was a drop in the bucket in comparison to what they've invested in making all those national titles at Bishop Gorman happen.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

17 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Hey, every pvt school cries poverty to spur more rich donos. They got $100 million in football facilities alone, the athletes are driving around in way nicer cars than the teaching staff. Everything at that school is the best of the best.

The money the Fertitta's threw in to help pay for UNLV's $35 mill practice facility was a drop in the bucket in comparison to what they've invested in making all those national titles at Bishop Gorman happen.

I have no doubt Gorman has serious money. It just doesn’t seem interested in paying the bills. But then again, it’s a “religious” institution... and well I don’t trust any of that moral BS these days. See this board.

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Seems Collins best driving was on the basketball court - He's a menace behind the wheel :blink:

Did the Prosecution even bring that up at his bail hearing? All we heard was how Zaon was a stellar community person and that’s why he’s back home playing Xbox until his next court appearance. 

12 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Seems Collins best driving was on the basketball court - He's a menace behind the wheel :blink:

At the end of the day, he is ultimately responsible for what happened.  However, where were his parents when he got cited those four times?

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

At the end of the day, he is ultimately responsible for what happened.  However, where were his parents when he got cited those four times?

I told my kids if they got a ticket, I was pulling their license, lol. 

13 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

I have no doubt Gorman has serious money. It just doesn’t seem interested in paying the bills. But then again, it’s a “religious” institution... and well I don’t trust any of that moral BS these days. See this board.

Moral BS? "Religious" institution? Don't be all like that. 

15 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The other dude's toxicology report was the difference.  High on meth and drunk.

Cam Hall.

I was a young whipper snapper back then but I remember there being mixed feeling in the family with Hall being allowed back on the team.

Yeah.  The dude who actually rammed the family also had a similar road-rage DUI from 2 years prior as well.  He ended up with a 30 year sentence for (3 counts) of vehicular homicide but was released after about 12 years in 2017. Will be on supervised release until 2035. 

Cam Hall passed the guy and swerved to miss the crash at 100 mph and then left the seen.  I don't think they had a very strong case to convict him of vehicular manslaughter - but they held that over him and strong-armed him to plead to a lesser misdemeanor charge (leaving the scene of an accident).  Doing so allowed him to play his senior year and also not risk the next 30 years of his life.

16 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

To be far those aren't exactly isane citations. What 16 year not paying attention when driving (probably looking at phone?), 17 year old speeding, 18 year old speeding, 19 year old driving on wrong side of one way (this happens more than you would think especially if inexperienced and not use to driving on one way streets BUT it kinda odd you would get a citation. I mean most people say oh sh*t when they turn the wrong way on one way and immediately try to turn around, so even if  cop does pull them over they usually just get a warning for the mistake). BUT getting 4 of them does raise a pretty big flag. 

As good as Zaon Collins is, perhaps it’s for the best that he’ll never play for UNLV (obviously sad for the man who didn’t deserve to die).  Based on what we’re learning, it seems like he’s the antithesis of what Otzelberger is looking for upstairs.  Keshon Gilbert and Arthur Kaluma have the same dog mentality that Otzelberger has, but Collins just seems like an entitled kid.