Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mundyc3

UNLV Recruit Zaon Collins Arrested, DUI Crash With Fatality

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

Something doesn't add up here.

How is a member of the Class of 2021 19-yrs-old in his Jr/Sr-yr?

He's 19-y/o now.  That means there's a 42% chance his b-day fall before he graduates HS in May, thus a 42% chance his 20-y/o when he graduates HS.

Did this kid do his Mormon Mission between his Soph & Jr year at Bishop Gorman?

lots of these kids are held back a year specifically to be more physically mature at this stage in their basketball careers. It has been going on for awhile now.  Actual 17/18 yr old elite athletes coming out of HS are becoming a rarity.

We just signed one: Demarshay Johnson Jr.  Nevada fans should recognize the name

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, SDSUfan said:

lots of these kids are held back a year specifically to be more physically mature at this stage in their basketball careers. It has been going on for awhile now.  Actual 17/18 yr old elite athletes coming out of HS are becoming a rarity.

We just signed one: Demarshay Johnson Jr.  Nevada fans should recognize the name

Thx for the background.

I was a Spring Baby (March - old for my class), yet this kid will most like be 1.25-to-2 yrs-older than me if he graduates with the 2020 Class.

1 minute ago, GoState99755 said:

Thx for the background.

I was a Spring Baby (March - old for my class), yet this kid will most like be 1.25-to-2 yrs-older than me if he graduates with the 2020 Class.

I didn't turn 18 until August. I was roughly 6' and 155lbs soaking wet.  By the following August I was 6'1" 175. It makes a substantial difference for some kids.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

That was the point of the prep-school fad: hide them for a year and they enter school as a 19-yr old freshman.

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Good god I’m old. Johnson was a very good player for Nevada. 

3 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

It will come fast and people won’t have a choice but to accept it.  We will revoke all drivers licenses, no human should be allowed to drive it is too dangerous.  Traffic lights won’t exist any longer, no more stop signs, no parking lots or parking garages.  No insurance for people to pay, no front seat or back seat just or people facing forward.

it is insane that we ever allowed people to drive.  We have murdered 100,000s of people.  The insanity must end.  Hurting UNlV basketball was the last straw.

This will be fixed.  Self driving cars now, I demand it.

“I’ve created a program, the matrix. The program was quite naturally perfect, it was a work of art, sublime.”

architect.jpg?fit=800,400&ssl=1

2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

This is the state of UNLV Basketball thanks to DRF.
FCF9CAE9-993B-4CC9-A7F0-847CF7A72488.jpeg.8522f09adb5bc6158a7eb66da4dc0c2c.jpeg1B8AB275-6CBD-4323-BBD4-0226C38CAC35.jpeg.aa26fefa0e8501c95b55548099210e65.jpeg

I think Marvin Menzies would have the program in better shape today, if he wasn’t fired.

Unless Pitino was in the bag, it was so absurd for UNLV to go from a Menzies to a ****burger.

3mxsBs3.jpg

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Shabazz muhammad looked like he was pushing 30 when he graduated from gorman

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

28 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Looks like he’ll get a slap on the wrist. Crazy. 

Trust me, he won’t.  The evidence is overwhelming that he committed a felony.  It’s a mandatory prison sentence.  He will probably serve 5-10 years.

21 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Trust me, he won’t.  The evidence is overwhelming that he committed a felony.  It’s a mandatory prison sentence.  He will probably serve 5-10 years.

It depends on how lawyered up he is, and he must have great ones if he’s got no bail (State asked for $150k) and on house arrest. Great lawyers will fight the prosecution on everything, and if they get the blood work tossed or invalidated, Zaon is looking at a misdemeanor. 

The other thing is Nevada seems pretty soft on DUI accidents that cause death, the Nevada Supreme Court recently ruled that second degree murder doesn’t apply to DUI deaths. 

4 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

It depends on how lawyered up he is, and he must have great ones if he’s got no bail (State asked for $150k) and on house arrest. Great lawyers will fight the prosecution on everything, and if they get the blood work tossed or invalidated, Zaon is looking at a misdemeanor. 

The other thing is Nevada seems pretty soft on DUI accidents that cause death, the Nevada Supreme Court recently ruled that second degree murder doesn’t apply to DUI deaths. 

I don't see a way out of this. I'm not a lawyer but unless there is something miracously wrong, he's done. 

26 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

They could go that route, but my guess is that they either try and strike a deal to get a reduced sentence or say that him being impaired didn’t cause the accident.