Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Claude G

Interesting Article about San Jose State Athletics

A lot of dirty laundry and sour grapes, who wrote this Dr. Fitz Hill? I wrote to Bill Walsh and asked for his help in replacing Dr. Hill with a better coach. In a way you could say I started the trouble but I had good reason. We wanted a winning program and at the time Dr. Hill had 5 years  to turn it around and failed plus he brought in a bunch of players who weren't very good students, which caused loss of scholarships that compounded the existing struggles.

"This time, the AD search effectively consisted of Bill Walsh, the legendary former San Francisco 49ers coach and influential SJSU alum, pitching the post to Tom Bowen, a former Cal athletic administrator who was then serving as executive director of the 49ers Foundation. "

On 12/30/2020 at 5:36 PM, Claude G said:

Good and long read.

Sportico Article

Of the whole thing I found this part very interesting:

"Rasmussen says he subsequently received an angry phone call from Brennan, the football coach, demanding to know why the test was being requested and who had initially raised suspicions that his player was using drugs. Rasmussen declined to identify Hopkins and was subsequently challenged about it by Tuite.

“When informed that one of his athletes would be tested, the head football coach responded in an irate manner, citing the possible negative repercussions for the student-athlete if he were to test positive for a banned substance,” Rasmussen later wrote to the school’s faculty athletics representative and chair of the University Athletics Board. “This is simply the latest in a troubling series of events related to concerns of institutional control.”

Over the next two months, emails attached to Rasmussen’s complaint show, Tuite continued to challenge both him and O’Brien about the drug test."

Maybe I'm reading way to much into that statement, but is Brennan okay with his players using banned substance if it helps the team win?

10 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Maybe I'm reading way to much into that statement, but is Brennan okay with his players using banned substance if it helps the team win?

Do you know what the "banned substance" was?

Is marijuana still considered a "banned substance"?

39 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Do you know what the "banned substance" was?

Is marijuana still considered a "banned substance"?

The normal has been that "banned substance" refers to performance enhancing drugs vs marijuana and like substance tend to be "illegal substance".

Craig Thompson, the Mountain West Conference commissioner, says it is difficult to project how the program can capitalize on this success, given the unpredictability of mid-major athletics in the wake of the pandemic.

“They have got a plan,” Thompson says of San Jose State. “Now, they have some momentum and though it is a brutal, fiscally tough market to live in, they have reason to believe.”

Gee, Craig, aren't you the guy who recommended to MWC presidents that they offer SJSU membership in the MWC? And besides a 7-1 football record in 2020, just what "momentum" does SJSU "now" have?

What a farcical shit show.

QUIT

SPORTS

You suck at it and you're wasting everyone's time and money

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, e-zone99 said:

The normal has been that "banned substance" refers to performance enhancing drugs vs marijuana and like substance tend to be "illegal substance".

Yea, but in the text you quoted it said the player was suspected of “using drugs”; I have only taken that to mean one thing, using drugs, like weed, cocaine, whatever. If someone is suspected of being on steroids I’ve heard suspected of juicing, using PEDs, being on steroids, but never just “using drugs”. That’s a weird way to phrase it. 

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, but in the text you quoted it said the player was suspected of “using drugs”; I have only taken that to mean one thing, using drugs, like weed, cocaine, whatever. If someone is suspected of being on steroids I’ve heard suspected of juicing, using PEDs, being on steroids, but never just “using drugs”. That’s a weird way to phrase it. 

Here is the whole thing:

"Failure to comply

Although he hasn’t filed a tort claim notice, David Rasmussen, SJSU’s senior associate athletic director for compliance until this month, has also formally objected to his treatment by Tuite’s administration. In a complaint filed last month with the California State University system, Rasmussen wrote that Tuite used the department’s human resources against him once he had shown himself to be insufficiently loyal to her interests.

Prior to taking the job at SJSU in December 2018, Rasmussen had worked in compliance posts at Penn State and BYU. He was the third top compliance staffer at SJSU within four years, a rate of turnover that is telling about Tuite, according to the former senior compliance official, who had previously occupied Rasmussen’s post.

“She likes to say she is the most compliant athletic director in the world, but I never felt I had the power I should… to make final calls of reporting violations,” the former senior compliance official told Sportico. “Everything had to go through her.”

According to his complaint, Rasmussen said he found himself in Tuite’s crosshairs over an episode in which he discovered that a Spartan baseball player had made 170 sports wagers, a violation of NCAA rules. After Rasmussen reported the violation, the NCAA ruled the athlete ineligible. Steve O’Brien, the former deputy AD, also referenced the incident in his tort claim notice, recalling that the baseball player’s parents angrily confronted Tuite over the incident, threatening to take the matter to the school president. In response, the former employees claim, Tuite confronted Rasmussen, admonishing him for causing the headache by going to the NCAA.

That wasn’t the only incident in which Tuite allegedly tried to interfere with the compliance process. In late January, O’Brien’s complaint states, Rasmussen was messaged by Sage Hopkins with a request for a random drug test to be administered to some of his swimmers, as well as to a football player who dated and lived with one of them. Rasmussen, in turn, forwarded the request to Shaw, who, as the director of sports medicine, oversaw the department’s drug screening.

Rasmussen says he subsequently received an angry phone call from Brennan, the football coach, demanding to know why the test was being requested and who had initially raised suspicions that his player was using drugs. Rasmussen declined to identify Hopkins and was subsequently challenged about it by Tuite.

“When informed that one of his athletes would be tested, the head football coach responded in an irate manner, citing the possible negative repercussions for the student-athlete if he were to test positive for a banned substance,” Rasmussen later wrote to the school’s faculty athletics representative and chair of the University Athletics Board. “This is simply the latest in a troubling series of events related to concerns of institutional control.”

Over the next two months, emails attached to Rasmussen’s complaint show, Tuite continued to challenge both him and O’Brien about the drug test.

“I was subjected to repeated interrogations over an issue in which I had only tangential involvement,” Rasmussen alleged in his complaint.

On March 2, O’Brien was fired, with Tuite announcing in a terse staff email that his duties had been reassigned.

With O’Brien gone, emails show Tuite continuing to pressure Rasmussen. According to his complaint, Rasmussen was told by Tuite during a Zoom meeting in late April that she no longer trusted him enough for him to be part of the department’s senior staff. Rasmussen describes being further ostracized and isolated in the ensuing months, leading up to the publication of USA Today’s Sept. 17 article that broke the news about O’Brien’s tort claim notice. That same day, according to Rasmussen’s complaint, he was accused by another employee of a workplace misconduct complaint. “I believe that this complaint is retaliatory against me, and the complainant has been coached” by Tuite, Rasmussen wrote in the filing."

When reading through this it sound like the AD would rather just sweep things under the rug and when the compliance officers try to do their job they won't have a job under her for long.

17 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Here is the whole thing:

"Failure to comply

Although he hasn’t filed a tort claim notice, David Rasmussen, SJSU’s senior associate athletic director for compliance until this month, has also formally objected to his treatment by Tuite’s administration. In a complaint filed last month with the California State University system, Rasmussen wrote that Tuite used the department’s human resources against him once he had shown himself to be insufficiently loyal to her interests.

Prior to taking the job at SJSU in December 2018, Rasmussen had worked in compliance posts at Penn State and BYU. He was the third top compliance staffer at SJSU within four years, a rate of turnover that is telling about Tuite, according to the former senior compliance official, who had previously occupied Rasmussen’s post.

“She likes to say she is the most compliant athletic director in the world, but I never felt I had the power I should… to make final calls of reporting violations,” the former senior compliance official told Sportico. “Everything had to go through her.”

According to his complaint, Rasmussen said he found himself in Tuite’s crosshairs over an episode in which he discovered that a Spartan baseball player had made 170 sports wagers, a violation of NCAA rules. After Rasmussen reported the violation, the NCAA ruled the athlete ineligible. Steve O’Brien, the former deputy AD, also referenced the incident in his tort claim notice, recalling that the baseball player’s parents angrily confronted Tuite over the incident, threatening to take the matter to the school president. In response, the former employees claim, Tuite confronted Rasmussen, admonishing him for causing the headache by going to the NCAA.

That wasn’t the only incident in which Tuite allegedly tried to interfere with the compliance process. In late January, O’Brien’s complaint states, Rasmussen was messaged by Sage Hopkins with a request for a random drug test to be administered to some of his swimmers, as well as to a football player who dated and lived with one of them. Rasmussen, in turn, forwarded the request to Shaw, who, as the director of sports medicine, oversaw the department’s drug screening.

Rasmussen says he subsequently received an angry phone call from Brennan, the football coach, demanding to know why the test was being requested and who had initially raised suspicions that his player was using drugs. Rasmussen declined to identify Hopkins and was subsequently challenged about it by Tuite.

Over the next two months, emails attached to Rasmussen’s complaint show, Tuite continued to challenge both him and O’Brien about the drug test.

“I was subjected to repeated interrogations over an issue in which I had only tangential involvement,” Rasmussen alleged in his complaint.

On March 2, O’Brien was fired, with Tuite announcing in a terse staff email that his duties had been reassigned.

With O’Brien gone, emails show Tuite continuing to pressure Rasmussen. According to his complaint, Rasmussen was told by Tuite during a Zoom meeting in late April that she no longer trusted him enough for him to be part of the department’s senior staff. Rasmussen describes being further ostracized and isolated in the ensuing months, leading up to the publication of USA Today’s Sept. 17 article that broke the news about O’Brien’s tort claim notice. That same day, according to Rasmussen’s complaint, he was accused by another employee of a workplace misconduct complaint. “I believe that this complaint is retaliatory against me, and the complainant has been coached” by Tuite, Rasmussen wrote in the filing."

When reading through this it sound like the AD would rather just sweep things under the rug and when the compliance officers try to do their job they won't have a job under her for long.

Yea, sounds like a recreational drug.

4 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Screen_Recording_20210102-164414_YouTube_1.gif.05c66e97ae2f4ff21420f29b47da1d23.gif

Congrats on your win.  They're so few and far between, I can understand why you would want to hang on and savor the memory, like that one time that lady let you do sex things to her.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Good lord, it sounds like Tuite is a real frickin' bully. Yuck.

Of course, I would imagine the compliance officer in every Athletic Dept is the dork nobody likes and they have to work real hard not to alienate them. It's the nature of the beast.

On 1/1/2021 at 8:32 PM, e-zone99 said:

Here is the whole thing:

"Failure to comply

Yes.  That's what it's supposed to sound like.  That's journalism today.  There's a whole lot of "allegedly" presented as fact in that article.  Maybe it's all true, maybe we'll find out someday.  Some of the allegations sound a little sketchy to me.