Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

The AAC is overrated garbage and the 4th best G5 conference this year.

6 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

im being facetious

for real though for east coast teams not used to the raw heat those late august games are brutal.    They don't hydrate anywhere near properly and start cramping and dropping like flies in the 2nd/4th quarter

Have you ever been back east in August?  It’s bloody brutal. Ever been to a Red’s game at Riverfront? Back in 1998 I was there. You couldn’t see across the Ohio River into Kentucky. 99% humidity, 97 degrees with the sun trying to get through. You sit in your seat completely miserable and sweating like the water that runs an evaporative cooler. It’s miserable all over the east coast like this. NY, NJ, VA, DC, WVA, PA, DE, TN, MD, etc. brutal.

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, sjsbuff said:

Isn't this also sort of an East Coast thing, too?  Meaning the writers?  I realize Aresco is lapping Hair in many (important) ways, but we also have this West Coast thing going on (media indifference).  That sort of thing is "bigger" than hair, for sure.  Still, there does seem to be a need for a new approach/perspective/voice for the top of the MWC... 

Yes, there is definitely east coast bias going on.  But I think ramming P6 down media throats is paying off.  AAC had at least like 4 different teams ranked in the top 25 some point during the season, MWC had a couple.  Sjsu probably had a more difficult schedule than all of them.  Nevada should have been ranked a couple weeks before our game vs SJSU. I don't think any of our top 4 teams had just as tough, if not tougher scedule than the AACs top 4 teams.  We shall see what happens next season, we should have 3 teams either receiving votes or in the top 25.  Depending on how many seniors stay, and who BSU hires.

12 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

The SE in the Summer makes the Valley seem like Switzerland by comparison. It's nasty. 

I’ll admit I haven’t spent a summer in the SE.  I’m too busy counting trees in the NW. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

It’s not just bias. The AAC kicked ass last year OOC. UCF had a couple of good years combined with that, plus not much OOC to get anyone’s measure this year; of course they’re getting the built in credibility. All we can do is tear it down like we did.

2021 is gonna be lit. The nfl talent will leave early, and that’ll hit the P5 the most. The blue bloods will be loaded, as always. But never before has so much borderline pro, but good college, senior talent had a chance to raise their stock. With their friends. I like where we are sitting as a conference next year.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

I’ll admit I haven’t spent a summer in the SE.  I’m too busy counting trees in the NW. 

It's like an oven...a humidity filled oven...from about late May to mid September. Brutal doesn't even begin to describe it. 

4 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

It's like an oven...a humidity filled oven...from about late May to mid September. Brutal doesn't even begin to describe it. 

I’ve been in south Florida in mid July  A sauna is also a good description. 
The difference is that in Fresno it will cool down to the mid to upper 60s most of the time at night with a breeze and it’s dry.  In Florida in the summer at night it stays in the 80s or upper 70s with humidity. No bueno. 

7 minutes ago, Cincy said:

The difference is that in Fresno it will cool down to the mid to upper 60s most of the time at night with a breeze and it’s dry.  In Florida in the summer at night it stays in the 80s or upper 70s with humidity. No bueno. 

Yeah it's a totally different animal. When I first moved to Gainesville I got there in early August and i literally laid in front of an air conditioner the first 2 weeks i was there and only went outside at night. 

Fresno gets unbearably hot in the summer but it's more of a desert heat. The evenings are beautiful at least. 

13 hours ago, UofNPackFan said:

Yes, there is definitely east coast bias going on.  But I think ramming P6 down media throats is paying off.  AAC had at least like 4 different teams ranked in the top 25 some point during the season, MWC had a couple.  Sjsu probably had a more difficult schedule than all of them.  Nevada should have been ranked a couple weeks before our game vs SJSU. I don't think any of our top 4 teams had just as tough, if not tougher scedule than the AACs top 4 teams.  We shall see what happens next season, we should have 3 teams either receiving votes or in the top 25.  Depending on how many seniors stay, and who BSU hires.

I perused the AAC Board for old times sake and they have an active topic regarding ESPN's betrayal of their Power 6 movement titled "I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans"

I'm not kidding. https://csnbbs.com/thread-913248.html 

That was some funny reading.

The proof that P6 campaign isnt working was the TV contract they signed, one that pay them 20-35% what the P5 conferences are getting.  And that percentage will drop when the P5s start doing their new deals.  The AAC will get 63 million in 2021 from their TV deal.  The Big 12 and SEC get 40 million just from the Sugar Bowl.  

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah it's a totally different animal. When I first moved to Gainesville I got there in early August and i literally laid in front of an air conditioner the first 2 weeks i was there and only went outside at night. 

Fresno gets unbearably hot in the summer but it's more of a desert heat. The evenings are beautiful at least. 

I moved to Miami in mid August.  The A/C in my apartment didn't work the first week I was there.  Every night that week I slept naked on the tile floor in a pool of sweat.  Plus the entire time I lived there I was driving a car with no A/C.....

Florida weather is hell on earth.  Fresno weather isn't even close. 

20 minutes ago, badfish said:

Overrated or not, ESPN and national media love them.

Yup. Good thing they aren’t locked in to an extremely long term contract so they can cash in on the added exposure they get on ESPN! 

18 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

The SE in the Summer makes the Valley seem like Switzerland by comparison. It's nasty. 

It's the nights. 115 is 115, and it's worse than a super humid 98. But a 105 day with a reasonable night is forever better than a 95 day when its 85 and humid overnight. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

15 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It’s not just bias. The AAC kicked ass last year OOC. UCF had a couple of good years combined with that, plus not much OOC to get anyone’s measure this year; of course they’re getting the built in credibility. All we can do is tear it down like we did.

2021 is gonna be lit. The nfl talent will leave early, and that’ll hit the P5 the most. The blue bloods will be loaded, as always. But never before has so much borderline pro, but good college, senior talent had a chance to raise their stock. With their friends. I like where we are sitting as a conference next year.

I think the mw is gonna be tits next year. The downside is that the champ may have more conference losses than OOC losses.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

42 minutes ago, badfish said:

Overrated or not, ESPN and national media love them.

The media loves a good story, and that story changes from year to year.  The national media doesnt love the AAC or the Sun Belt.  They love that UCincy and Coastal Carolina gave them something different to talk about, just like UCF, Boise and Northern Illinois have in recent years. Personally, if not for the late start I think San Jose might have been added to that list.  

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

5 hours ago, Cincy said:

Also, we dont have summer rain to break up the heat monotony out here. At least back east you get a thunderstorm to blow some air around for half an hour. 

32 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Also, we dont have summer rain to break up the heat monotony out here. At least back east you get a thunderstorm to blow some air around for half an hour. 

Yes but then after the rain passes with all the moisture in the ground and the sun coming back out it’s even steamier. 
But it is a carbon copy every day here for about 3 months.