Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

idkk

Brennan getting extension

I am just so happy that it seems like SJSU is opening up their checkbooks. This season must have cost them a ton of money. Shoot they moved to Humboldt, Vegas, and had to travel to Boise to not play a game. All after not getting any (although let's be real, its not a lot) ticket revenue and no check from the NCAA because of a cancelled March Madness. This is a school that no one would bat an eye at if they cheaped out this year, and that doesn't seem to be the case. 

Really proud of what this means for the future.

Just now, Original_Irish said:

I am just so happy that it seems like SJSU is opening up their checkbooks. This season must have cost them a ton of money. Shoot they moved to Humboldt, Vegas, and had to travel to Boise to not play a game. All after not getting any (although let's be real, its not a lot) ticket revenue and no check from the NCAA because of a cancelled March Madness. This is a school that no one would bat an eye at if they cheaped out this year, and that doesn't seem to be the case. 

Really proud of what this means for the future.

Same.  I wonder if some well-heeled booster/alum just made a major commitment and opened their checkbook.  It's hard to see how SJSU could commit this much money for this long otherwise.  

1 minute ago, ziggy29 said:

Same.  I wonder if some well-heeled booster/alum just made a major commitment and opened their checkbook.  It's hard to see how SJSU could commit this much money for this long otherwise.  

I'm sure some boosters helped out big time. But also, schools have budgets, and while every college is losing money because of Covid, there are also expenses that SJSU probably doesn't have because of Covid as well. Wouldn't be surprised if SJSU was able to move things around to help out the football team. Again though, that is showing commitment that SJSU has not shown before. 

24 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Only a half measure. Everybody knows it’s a combo of contract X bike paths.

It's Silicon Valley. The self-driving cars did it. he can watch film while Google drives him to-and-from 7th & Alma.

1 hour ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

It’s a good sign but means next to nothing on keeping him long term. Just makes him a bit more pricy for other schools

I'm just happy that it means he's gonna be here next year. Any time after that and we're playing with house money. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm just happy that it means he's gonna be here next year. Any time after that and we're playing with house money. 

I wasn't really sold on Coach Mac's "I don't plan to go anywhere" stuff six days before the Colorado announcement.  But this.... yes, I think this signals a fairly strong commitment to at least one more year.

1 hour ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

It’s a good sign but means next to nothing on keeping him long term. Just makes him a bit more pricy for other schools

Duh. We're happy with the valuation that will come from this. There better be a buyout clause of 500k+ in his new contract! Get more from any school that hires him.

Contract extension includes an endless supply of Covid-19 masks. ;)

One of the big things here, too, is that with the liberalized transfer portal this year, keeping Coach Brennan for one more year (at least) will keep almost all of SJSU's players out of the portal.