Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Morgan

Brennan To Arizona? Apparently Not

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

As you might already know, the choice was Pat Hill. Then the Prez went with Brennan. We bitched about for two years until beating Arkansas last year and being on the brink of bowling as well. This season, we're all sending her "Happy Holidays" & "Merry Xmas" cards. It can work out.

Is Fresno done with Hutson?? Bulldog b-ball hasn't improved under him?

What do you mean by "we"? I was happy when Brennan was selected over Pat Hill, and never bitched about his being hired. I was one of the people in 2017 and 2018 that was saying SJSU needed to see Brennan through at least three seasons before even considering replacing him. It was clear after Year 3 (2019) that he had the program headed in the right direction and that it had turned the corner. When it looked like the 2020 season was not going to happen I was telling people how disappointed I was because I thought Brennan had a pretty good team. Did I think it was going to be as good as it was? No. But, I certainly felt a bowl game was a very likely possibility.

Champ Logo.jpg

6 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

The BS fans on here have said the Bleymaier blew it as their AD. I really was in hysterics when he hired Caragher thinking he was doing a carbon copy of what Stanford did with Harbaugh. What a joke that turned out to be!

Not to mention how much Harbaugh was gushing with praise about Caragher.  

4 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

What do you mean by "we"? I was happy when Brennan was selected over Pat Hill, and never bitched about his being hired. I was one of the people in 2017 and 2018 that was saying SJSU needed to see Brennan through at least three seasons before even considering replacing him. It was clear after Year 3 (2019) that he had the program headed in the right direction and that it had turned the corner. When it looked like the 2020 season was not going to happen I was telling people how disappointed I was because I thought Brennan had a pretty good team. Did I think it was going to be as good as it was? No. But, I certainly felt a bowl game was a very likely possibility.

Well give yourself an extra cookie for dessert. :D I bithched the first year. Bitched less after the year two even with a worse record because I saw the performance improve. Needless to say, after the win at Fayetteville, I completely hitched my wagon.

8 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

What do you mean by "we"? I was happy when Brennan was selected over Pat Hill, and never bitched about his being hired. I was one of the people in 2017 and 2018 that was saying SJSU needed to see Brennan through at least three seasons before even considering replacing him. It was clear after Year 3 (2019) that he had the program headed in the right direction and that it had turned the corner. 

I was on the fence after 2018, but leaned toward the "one more year" camp.  While their record was worse in his second year -- 2-10, then 1-11 -- it was obvious that the product on the field was better, the talent on the field was better, and they needed to learn how to finish games.  I thought 2018 was the year that the talent was better, and 2019 needed to be the year it started translating to wins by playing the full 60 minutes (instead of 45, 50, 55 minutes in 2018).  Also saw the vast change in turnover margin from 2017 (SJSU was dead last in FBS) to 2018 (positive number and roughly 30th in FBS).    The Arkansas win convinced me. 

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Score one for mid majors... coastal, Louisiana and sjsu all seem to have kept their coaches. Boise happy Harsin moved on. 

All is right with the world. For now.

Brennen to Boise.

Cement our status as the biggest villains in conference history.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Brennen to Boise.

Cement our status as the biggest villains in conference history.

And CP comes out of retirement to lead SJSU to the promise land.

Cement our status as the Cinderella of CFB nation. 

If you wanted to know why the Pac-12 is viewed as a joke of a conference, this coaching hire is one of those reasons.  A college president who has a close relationship with the just hired coach forces the AD to hire him instead of a better qualified coach.  That is one of 12 college presidents or chancellors that hasn't fired Larry Scott yet.

Being a fan of a school that had Dan Beebe and Larry Scott as conference commissioners, I say you should at least appreciate Craig Thompson as your commissioner.  Money can't eradicate stupidity.

21 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/board/102371/contents/Name-for-DC-157709675

lol. Hiring a guy who'd previously coached at a non-scholarship school was so funny.  Even Fales and that WR corps weren't enough to prop him up.

There is a YouTube video of Fales, Chandler Jones, Keith Smith,, Ryan Otten and Bene Benwikere rewatching a portion of their Military Bowl highlights and offering commentary. When the topic of Caragher coming in and messing everything up was brought up, it was met with some groans and eye rolls. You can tell the guys wanted to say a lot more but withheld because the video was produced by the athletic department. Just goes to show how much Coach Pro Shop really screwed that thing up in 2013 and beyond...

25 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

I bitched, A LOT, about choosing Brennan over Hill. After 2017 I bitched even more, I was pretty pissed. During the 2018 season I noticed the progress though, so I wasn’t upset anymore at the prospect of giving him more time; even after 17 I never called for him to be fired, as I generally don’t like any coach being fired before year 4 (not even Carragher after his second year). 

And also, I hated the length of the extension after ‘19. Very happy i ended up being hilariously wrong about that, as he very well might have left had we not shown that faith in him. I missed the mark on Brennan in year 1 and again with the extension, and I’m really happy about that. 

Another gem from the UA message boards, regarding an official statement about Fisch bringing "enthusiasm":  

It's true his enthusiasm is contagious. He's been head coach about 30 min and I'm already enthusiastic about spending more time with my wife and less time watching Arizona football.

2 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/board/102371/contents/Name-for-DC-157709675

lol. Hiring a guy who'd previously coached at a non-scholarship school was so funny.  Even Fales and that WR corps weren't enough to prop him up.

It’s crazy though. Stanford did it with Harbaugh. Same college as Caragher. Really trying to catch lightning in a bottle at SJSU. 

spartan-hands.gif

2 minutes ago, SpartanGrad said:

It’s crazy though. Stanford did it with Harbaugh. Same college as Caragher. Really trying to catch lightning in a bottle at SJSU. 

And Harbaugh hyped Caragher to the point where it felt like he was saying Caragher was his clone. 

I'll cop to being a Brennan hater, especially the first season when he had that OC with the weird last name. The play calling and lack of any signs of player development was a regression even by Coach Kelly Moore's standards.

That doesn't mean I was mad Pat Hill wasn't hired though. I was mad that we didn't hire a search firm to create a better list to choose from. But Pat's last two years were rough to watch, even for a Spartan. He was dunzo.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

1 minute ago, Maynard Delecto said:

I'll cop to being a Brennan hater, especially the first season when he had that OC with the weird last name. The play calling and lack of any signs of player development was a regression even by Coach Kelly Moore's standards.

But the thing is, Caragher left the cupboard bare.  Brennan had almost nothing to work with.  2017, his first season, was basically for him to see what he had and what he could do with it, while working toward restocking the talent pool through recruiting.