Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

Keyontae Johnson's collapse

I've been wondering about this kid, they've been pretty quiet about what happened on the court. Yes, they're still gathering information, but I've been afraid that this is a post covid situation (he had it in the summer). I hope he makes a full recovery.

https://www.gatorsports.com/story/basketball/2020/12/22/florida-gators-keyontae-johnson-has-season-ending-heart-issue/4006117001/

Florida's Keyontae Johnson diagnosed with heart inflammation following collapse at game

Florida forward Keyontae Johnson, who collapsed on the court during a game Dec. 12 at Florida State University, has been diagnosed with a heart inflammation that may be related to an earlier infection for COVID-19. 

Following the collapse that left Johnson unresponsive, he was transferred last Monday from Tallahassee Memorial to UF Health in Gainesville, where an MRI on his heart led to a diagnosis of acute myocarditis, according to a person with first-hand knowledge. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensibility of the situation.

The heart inflammation, called myocarditis, has various causes, most commonly viral infections. It has been linked to COVID-19.  

Johnson tested positive for COVID-19 during the summer, along with several of his teammates. UF athletes who’ve been infected must complete a cardiac evaluation that includes an electrocardiogram, an echocardiogram and a blood test that can reveal evidence of cardiac problems before being cleared to play, according to SEC protocols.

“If it had something to do with COVID, I would say every coach in the country would like to know,” Kentucky coach John Calipari said of Johnson’s collapse to Sports Illustrated earlier this week.

Johnson’s parents announced last Tuesday that he had started breathing on his own and speaking after reportedly being in a medically induced coma. In a statement Thursday, Stricklin said Johnson had continued showing “truly encouraging signs of progress” as he underwent tests.

May or may not be Covid related.

yet—athletes have been collapsing and sometimes dying on the court every year due to heart issues. This is nothing new and shouldn’t change anything 

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

48 minutes ago, LoFasZz said:

yet—athletes have been collapsing and sometimes dying on the court every year due to heart issues. This is nothing new and shouldn’t change anything 

Right but it's a question which needs to be asked and looked into.

3 hours ago, LoFasZz said:

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Right but it's a question which needs to be asked and looked into.

Both of these things are true. 

But if it happens again..

Probably just quit playing sports all together. The risks are to great.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

4 hours ago, LoFasZz said:

This is an entirely fair point - Penn State had an RB who was discovered to have a similar condition as a result of the preseason myocarditis check, entirely independent of COVID - but if he passed previous physicals without issue you really, really gotta wonder.

6 hours ago, LoFasZz said:

No. That doesn't happen every year. The last time it happened was Hank Gathers in the early 90's.

There might be a few in between there that I missed, but saying basketball players collapse and die on the court every year is complete b.s.

They already have studies that Covid attacks the heart and weakens long term heart health.

Its probably covid related. Covid isn't a scam created by the flat earth society.

Its real.

16 minutes ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

No. That doesn't happen every year. The last time it happened was Hank Gathers in the early 90's.

There might be a few in between there that I missed, but saying basketball playes collapse and die on the court every year is complete b.s.

They already have studies that Covid attacks the heart and weakens long term heart health.

Its probably covid related. Covid isn't a scam created by the flat earth society.

Its real.

Basketball might not be the most important thing this year. Keep the players safe, UNLV is on complete shutdown, players can't even go home because they are quarantining, and won't consider starting practices until Jan 4. Even then, since we don't know what the long term effects are, these kids might be better off not trying to go 100% for the time being. The post covid myocarditis has been my biggest concern, not the initial infection..I just hope they are all ok in the end.

4 minutes ago, akbballfan said:

It is just the flue. 

but they will tack anything they can onto it. 

That said man that vaccine HURTS!!! I got mine Saturday (by force) booster soon to come. 

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, and give you the benefit of the doubt, lol, because it is not just the flu. But you know that.

20 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Basketball might not be the most important thing this year. Keep the players safe, UNLV is on complete shutdown, players can't even go home because they are quarantining, and won't consider starting practices until Jan 4. Even then, since we don't know what the long term effects are, these kids might be better off not trying to go 100% for the time being. The post covid myocarditis has been my biggest concern, not the initial infection..I just hope they are all ok in the end.

Yep. The long term effects of Covid are the scary part. They don't really know what they are yet, but myocarditis is one of them and it isn't good at all.

My friend from high school has been on a ventilator for the last two weeks. They've killed the covid in his system, so he's now covid negative. According to the doctors on Caringbridge, his recovery will likely take 6 to 10 months just to get back to a normal lifestyle. After that, he'll still have the long term effects. He's 47, and doesn't have any factors that would make him high risk to get covid: diabetes, obesity, lung issues.......

I know it's easy as sport fans to try and say it isn't that big of a deal, so we can continue to watch sports, but it is a big deal. 20 year olds, in perfect health shouldn't be getting myocarditis.

16 minutes ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

Yep. The long term effects of Covid are the scary part. They don't really know what they are yet, but myocarditis is one of them and it isn't good at all.

My friend from high school has been on a ventilator for the last two weeks. They've killed the covid in his system, so he's now covid negative. According to the doctors on Caringbridge, his recovery will likely take 6 to 10 months just to get back to a normal lifestyle. After that, he'll still have the long term effects. He's 47, and doesn't have any factors that would make him high risk to get covid: diabetes, obesity, lung issues.......

I know it's easy as sport fans to try and say it isn't that big of a deal, so we can continue to watch sports, but it is a big deal. 20 year olds, in perfect health shouldn't be getting myocarditis.

Exactly.. and as I said, myocarditis could end up being a huge problem for a lot of people, young, old, healthy, or not. I think you keep the kids safe, first and foremost. As much as I love watching basketball, I would hate seeing a player collapse on the court 10 times more.

And I also have a classmate on a vent for at least 3 weeks. Yesterday he sat up for a few seconds, his O2 was at 50%, but they were able to move his feeding tube. Once he gets approval from his insurance and gets rid of the ventilator, he will be able to go to a rehab for at least 30 days. It's awful, his wife can only facetime his drs and nurses. But at least it looks like he might pull through, but he has a LONG road ahead, just to survive.

On the other side, my niece and her family had it, mild symptoms, although all were different. 2 healthy cousins died. It's just so unpredictable.

TCU QB Max Duggan was going thru summer Covid testing when they discovered a previous undetected heart issue that required surgery.  Few weeks later, good as new.  You can argue whether or not schools are going overboard for safety's sake, but I doubt Duggan will be one of them arguing.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

12 hours ago, LoFasZz said:

¿Are you drunk?

6 hours ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

There might be a few in between there that I missed, but saying basketball players collapse and die on the court every year is complete b.s.

Its real.

Yes it does. There were literally two FBS football players who died last year due to Conditioning during the 2019 season

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

1 hour ago, LoFasZz said:

Yes it does. There were literally two FBS football players who died last year due to Conditioning during the 2019 season

¿And those were due to  myocarditis?

10 hours ago, LoFasZz said:

we’ve dramatically overhauled the way way we run practices in an effort to save lives of young athletes. Football practices look nothing like those from when I played. We’ve changed the rules of every game to reduce the damage caused by concussions. Most of those changes have been for the better. 

Nobody is talking about canceling the season. We know not that myocarditis can result from COVID infection. So a thorough analysis of how and why this was missed should be encouraged so it doesn’t happen again.  This isn’t one of those things where you just say +++++ it.

On 12/23/2020 at 1:11 PM, 4UNLV said:

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, and give you the benefit of the doubt, lol, because it is not just the flu. But you know that.

Nope. Dead serious. 

It isn't that bad at all. 

Some people get it and die most do not. Just like the flu. Hell, most turn away positives we see are folks that tested positive incoming on elective surgery that didn't even know they had it!!! lol. 

I am literally bathing in it with patients at work and honestly I am WAY more afraid of the tuberculosis rooms or drunk native patients. 

Whole think is a joke, 

This forum is fun because I can actually speak my mind. I, like many other co-workers, think this whole thing is a joke.