Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Boise coaching search thread. Andy is coming home!!!

17 hours ago, Mano said:

If Bob were to come back, I don't think it would be for OC.

ARod has been BYU's game day play caller since the Boise St @BYU in 2019 in 2019.  ARod move to the box in that Boise St game and Grimes was on the field.  BYU had just lost 3 straight games Washington, @Toledo, and @USF (with last 2 where BYU was the favored team), so they decided to shake things up.  It seemed to work a lot better and BYU continued to have ARod making the play calls from the box through all of 2020.    I don't know how many BYU fans know that little fact, there is a reason why BYU's O didn't miss a beat in the Bowl game against UFC.  Coach Grimes and Coach Mateos (OL coach) were in Provo during the Bowl, Coach Fesi Sitake took Coach Grime's spot on the side line during the Bowl game (so I was not all that surprised to see Fesi get promoted to ARod former position of Passing Game Coordinator at the same time as ARod to OC).

47 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

My only qualm with Johnson is he seems like he could be a one and done guy on his way to a P5 HC gig.  Andy would more likely stick around for 5-7 like his predecessors. Even though many would say that is fine as long as you win 10-12 games, too much discontinuity would be bad for the program.  One bad hire could tank everything.  Players do seem to like the idea of Johnson though.

That's my thoughts, as well. Both BJ and Harrell would likely be short term with any success and I do think Avalos might stay a little bit longer with success. 

That being said, I have said it before and I'm saying it again, you have to hire the best possible option available... period. When hiring a coach at a G5 you won when you find a guy who gets hired away by a bigger school

49 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not sure about that.  Andy was gone for the first better DC job he got offered after only two years in the position with Boise.

All G5 programs will be a stop gap.  If Johnson rocks it so well he is gone in 2-3 years, that's a win in my book.

Andy was at Boise 7 years total and and 3 d coor

3 minutes ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Andy was at Boise 7 years total and and 3 d coor

Ok so 3 years before taking the first better offer that came along for the same position.

Fact is all G5 jobs are stepping stones.  Unless you go retread or pull a Houston (would not recommend pulling a Houston).

36 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

You don't know this stuff for sure. If he does end up as HC in Dallas, he's never coming to Boise.

Not necessarily.

Did you see the tears Jerry cried after letting BoyWonder1, aka Jason Garrett walk without any love lost?  Jerry was supposed to hang a SB trophy on his mantle reading: Jerry again ensured all the conditions necessary to win the SB...

If Kellen doesn't utterly destroy as the Cowboys HC, and he's just meandering through various coaching gigs, HC, OC, etc., he's going to grow tired of that crap fast. 

If he wants to actually follow the most proper path for him at this point is to seek out the BSU HC job, and then, continue moving forward and eventually move into the AD role..

This is really the only time I can remember hating Jerry and his stupid money...

New-Signature.jpg

5 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I don't care if they stay only 3 if the program gets back to where it wants to be.   If we're thinking 'safe' is getting someone who stays longer, then I don't get it.  Great G5 teams lose their coaches.  It's what I want.  Again.

3 years is fine, but a 1 and done coach would decimate the program.  As it stands, could have many key players transfer this year if they don't like the HC, and would be eligible immediately anywhere else.  Turnover is not sustainable.  Look at Houston after their coach firing debacle.

Just now, bsu_alum9 said:

3 years is fine, but a 1 and done coach would decimate the program.  As it stands, could have many key players transfer this year if they don't like the HC, and would be eligible immediately anywhere else.  Turnover is not sustainable.  Look at Houston after their coach firing debacle.

Signed, Houston Nutt.  Oh wait, you recovered just fine.

20 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Ok so 3 years before taking the first better offer that came along for the same position.

Fact is all G5 jobs are stepping stones.  Unless you go retread or pull a Houston (would not recommend pulling a Houston).

Yep, find a head coach that is going to get hired, not fired. That's how you build a G5 program

4 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

When Koetter was hired, he was the 4th HC the team had played for in 3 years. Not coincidentally, those were the worst years in the history of Boise State football

12 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

One and done is a red herring I don't want to spend too much time worrying about.  Remember it's Boise State, a one and done would have to make the playoffs and even then it might not be enough.   We're talking about pups.  Very young D1 head coaches.  P5 schools would rather rehash has beens and take P5 coordinators than gamble on a one year phenom G5 season.

27 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Got lucky with Koetter there - then assistants all the way down the line since to keep continuity going.  I just think it's a different game today with the transfer portal.  If you get a guy like Harrell come in and install an Air Raid next year, there's going to be tons of transfers with the guys who don't fit the system.  Then assume you bring in a defensive guy the next year who wants to change the offense back to something else. More transfers. 

It works if the system stays the same or if the coach values the commodities on the team and plays to their strengths.  If you get a system-guy like Harrell (not sure on Johnson) then it can be bad news.  It takes time to get the right types of players for each new type of system.

36 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

When Koetter was hired, he was the 4th HC the team had played for in 3 years. Not coincidentally, those were the worst years in the history of Boise State football

In all fairness, Pokey Allen's fight with cancer had much to do with that stretch.  

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I'm not sure Boise St. fans will care much about Pittman going with Harsin to Auburn. Good for Pitt and good for Boise St.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

28 minutes ago, teappotts said:

I'm not sure Boise St. fans will care much about Pittman going with Harsin to Auburn. Good for Pitt and good for Boise St.

It seems notable to me that it's the first hire Harsin has made there. He was hired on the 22nd.  Two weeks ago. Does that mean he doesn't want anybody else?  I know Bedell was rumored to be heading down there with him. I was assuming most of the older offensive staff would go but starting to think that may not be the case. 

20 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

It seems notable to me that it's the first hire Harsin has made there. He was hired on the 22nd.  Two weeks ago. Does that mean he doesn't want anybody else?  I know Bedell was rumored to be heading down there with him. I was assuming most of the older offensive staff would go but starting to think that may not be the case. 

Harsin has a much bigger checkbook at Auburn than he had at Boise St, so his coaching pool to hire from has likely got a whole lot bigger.