Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Boise coaching search thread. Andy is coming home!!!

16 minutes ago, Fowl said:

I'm miffed why Boise fans aren't excited about Choate (assuming he's the guy).  His HC record is great and he's got lots of experience at lots of top schools under great HC's.  He'd be a great HC for any school in the conference.  He's got more HC experience than any of the other candidates.  I get why fans would be fired up for the former star QB to come back but the guy has never coached in college nor has he been a HC which is a much different job than being a coordinator.

His HC record is 28-22 and his best conference finish was third last year. Not saying he won't be good, but I disagree that his record or results have been great to this point. He has turned the school around but Craig Bohl clearly had a much better resume for an FCS coach. Weber State's coach may have a more impressive resume too.  If he didn't have Boise State ties, I doubt someone in his position would be considered. Avalos, on the other hand is going to get a P5 job next year if Boise doesn't hire him.

As stated before, I think both are a step up over Harsin.

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

I just noticed the picture of the plane.  Only in the MW would an AD be flying around in a formerly crashed single prop plane lol.

Do they reuse numbers, cuz that looks totalled.

Edit. Thats not the same plane. Flight aware says Cessna 525 Citation not the Cirrus-22 in photo. Plus the speed was too high for the cirrus if you look at flight data.

Real thing is like this:

CWLT_0014_preview-1170x738.jpeg

2 hours ago, Spot50B said:

Maybe Choate will make MSU elite, but I don't really see that happening.

They went 4-7, 5-6, 8-5 (ranked 17 FCS), then 10-2 (ranked #4 FCS). Pretty decent trajectory and elite FCS. They were ranked #5 in 2020 preseason before cancellation.

3 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

Avalos just looks like the mutherfcker got swagger and the kids will follow. He is my choice if im AD 

I think Andy will be the guy unless He isn’t interested or Boise State feels they can’t afford him which would be a very short sighted way of looking at it. 

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

I'm miffed why Boise fans aren't excited about Choate (assuming he's the guy).  His HC record is great and he's got lots of experience at lots of top schools under great HC's.  He'd be a great HC for any school in the conference.  He's got more HC experience than any of the other candidates.  I get why fans would be fired up for the former star QB to come back but the guy has never coached in college nor has he been a HC which is a much different job than being a coordinator.

Yep, emotion over logic for man

7 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

They went 4-7, 5-6, 8-5 (ranked 17 FCS), then 10-2 (ranked #4 FCS). Pretty decent trajectory and elite FCS. They were ranked #5 in 2020 preseason before cancellation.

No one sees Montana State as an elite FCS team-- at least not yet. Have to at least win your conference once or twice at a bare minimum. Weber and Eastern are much more respected programs right now and they got beat by Sac State and North Dakota last year. If anything, Choate reminds me of Harsin-- at least one WTF game every year.

1 hour ago, Spot50B said:

His HC record is 28-22 and his best conference finish was third last year. Not saying he won't be good, but I disagree that his record or results have been great to this point. He has turned the school around but Craig Bohl clearly had a much better resume for an FCS coach. Weber State's coach may have a more impressive resume too.  If he didn't have Boise State ties, I doubt someone in his position would be considered. Avalos, on the other hand is going to get a P5 job next year if Boise doesn't hire him.

As stated before, I think both are a step up over Harsin.

Bohl was a hire I didn't support (and he was an outlier cadidate for the Boise job), for the same reason I said to not hire a Montana Coach (in thier hey day). They have all the resources, culture, and momentum. Reality, is that Bohl had a winning % that was very much in line with the overall winning % of NDSU in thieir history (and they kept winning at a high rate [higher, actually] after him). Choate took over a bad program and built it. Every year they got better and were a top-5 FCS the last year he coached. And if you're gunna bring up Bohl, he was almost 20 games under .500 his first two years at Wyoming... just sayin'

4 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

No one sees Montana State as an elite FCS team-- at least not yet. Have to at least win your conference once or twice at a bare minimum. Weber and Eastern are much more respected programs right now and they got beat by Sac State and North Dakota last year. If anything, Choate reminds me of Harsin-- at least one WTF game every year.

Eastern has been very good for a long time. MSU made the semifinals of the FCS for the first time in 25 years and beat the Griz (thier rival and national power) for 4 straight years for the first time in 35 years. It's very different to build a program vs sustain a program

1 minute ago, tailingpermit said:

Could someone remind me what TCP was earning per year before he left, I believe it was a little over 3 but if I remember the boosters were supplementing that.  

Pete made $2M plus a few bonuses in 2012. Harsin made $1.8 last year.