Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

utgrizfan

If Boise Leaves, does the MWC look to Expand?

Travel subs are a bit ridiculous.

Wyoming to Fargo:  582 miles

San Jose to Honolulu:  2415 miles

SDSU to Boise:  753 miles once every 4 yrs for FB, once a year for MBB, + how many other trips for oly sports.

SDSU to Fargo:  1,451 miles once every 4 years (no MBB/oly trips).  We’d save on travel cost.

MBB credits would be divided by one fewer school, and it would open dates on the MBB schedule for OOC games.

Way better than a full membership for UTEP or NMSU or any of those no name Texas schools.

1 minute ago, GoCoAztec said:

Travel subs are a bit ridiculous.

Wyoming to Fargo:  582 miles

San Jose to Honolulu:  2415 miles

SDSU to Boise:  753 miles once every 4 yrs for FB, once a year for MBB, + how many other trips for oly sports.

SDSU to Fargo:  1,451 miles once every 4 years (no MBB/oly trips).  We’d save on travel cost.

MBB credits would be divided by one fewer school, and it would open dates on the MBB schedule for OOC games.

Way better than a full membership for UTEP or NMSU or any of those no name Texas schools.

I don't think Hawaii should pay travel subs either..But I am not in favor of handing NDSU a free ride football only invitation..The MW is not desperate..

I truly think if Boise leaves they won't replace them..

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

I don't think Hawaii should pay travel subs either..But I am not in favor of handing NDSU a free ride football only invitation..The MW is not desperate..

I truly think if Boise leaves they won't replace them..

Hawaii travel subs need to end.

15 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

Fargo?  You guys are talking stupid shit.

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Moscow>Fargo.

At least Moscow is gorgeous.  

Agreed. I’d much rather live in Moscow than Fargo. Hell, I’d take Laramie or the Philly Badlands over Fargo. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Agreed. I’d much rather live in Moscow than Fargo. Hell, I’d take Laramie or the Philly Badlands over Fargo. 

So now that we all have to move to the new school’s city - how do you feel about NMSU or UTEP :)

Moscow > Fargo

NDSU football > U of Idaho football 

1 minute ago, GoCoAztec said:

So now that we all have to move to the new school’s city - how do you feel about NMSU or UTEP :)

Moscow > Fargo

NDSU football > U of Idaho football 

I think our MWC is fine as is. If we were to go to 14, I’d prefer UTSA and either North Texas or Texas State.

43 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I think our MWC is fine as is. If we were to go to 14, I’d prefer UTSA and either North Texas or Texas State.

Oy vey, here come the Texas arguments.  It's every fisherman's golden pond and it gets royally fished out by the time it trickles down to half of the AAC the MWC.  

7 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

Oy vey, here come the Texas arguments.  It's every fisherman's golden pond and it gets royally fished out by the time it trickles down to half of the AAC the MWC.  

@RogueStoutand I know for a fact that North Texas has amazing ponds.

On 1/18/2021 at 7:48 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

Lol - Hey Bam Bam, at least SJSU has won a championship in a major sport recently. Most student athletes were just born or still in diapers the last time CSU won a notable ring.

See you nxt-wk at your Taco Bell Barn...

10 hours ago, Koji Vu said:

Found this article and it kind of explains that, rather than filling in a new team, contraction is a more realistic option for the MWC.

https://mwwire.com/2019/07/25/is-contraction-the-answer-to-mountain-west-survival/ 

I just read the source interview where that came from (https://theathletic.com/1094640/2019/07/25/craig-thompson-mountain-west-commissioner-interview/)

I think they're taking it out of context a little too much. The main point he was trying to make (especially when you read it in context) is he doesn't see where, say, a Boise State would go. In his mind, there was nowhere to go at the time (July 2019). Plus, that was pre-pandemic. So, even if he was making that point, a lot has changed. 

Here's the context what what they were talking about just prior:

"Q. Does the Mountain West have a grant of rights?

We do not.

Q. Has that come up at all?

We are probably the most lenient of any FBS conference. We have no grant of rights and really no exit fee. I was asked if I was concerned and what I would do to stop a team (from leaving). Nothing.

Q. Why’s that?

If somebody feels there’s a different opportunity for them, go for it, good luck."

It'd be interesting to get his updated take. 

The message has been consistent that contraction is more likely than expansion.  I do not know for sure if it is still in place.

I don't know for sure but I would be very surprised if the conference asked any schools to leave.

However, I would be quite surprised if they added any school.  

Boise certainly may leave.  When BSU and SDSU left before it dropped the conference down to 8 football schools but only 7 olympic sports schools.

USU and SJSU were added to get the conference to 10 football and 9 oly

The difference now is that if Boise leaves there are still a lot of schools remaining.

Several regional rivalries would still be in place.

It should be noted that every current school in the MW has been in conference lineups that didn't include Boise State before.