Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

utgrizfan

If Boise Leaves, does the MWC look to Expand?

2 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Maybe both.  If BSU and SDSU both jumped to the AAC (still an unlikely scenario IMHO but who knows) I'd expect UTEP and UTSA to be the replacements.  Utah State would move to the West Division, the Front Range schools would get to play conference games in Texas and life would go on.

Below is a chart of the MW conference after replacing BSU and SDSU with UTEP and UTSA.
image.png.e343905a8f1bc470a2f8cb6bfd00756d.png

18 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

Below is a chart of the MW conference after replacing BSU and SDSU with UTEP and UTSA.
image.png.e343905a8f1bc470a2f8cb6bfd00756d.png

I don't think they will replace those schools if they leave.  I don't think NDSU would get any consideration for membership.  Why on earth would the MW want a football only school?  Hawaii had a long history with the current members but even then they have to pay travel subsidies to house their football here..  

However, I have a sales pitch you can make.  You agree to pay a 10 million dollar entrance fee.  You waive all tv revenue for 5 years and you pay travel subsidies to any MW school who plays a football game in Fargo.

250 thousand per home game.  That is just a million a year for 4 games..Easy peasy..

still waitin  for that NDSU invite Craig Thompson .. the ONLY reason NOT to invite NDSU is because you don't want them to be #1-#2 in the football standings Day 1.  and I respect that, but we will bring alot of exposure for MWC

Any of your schools bringing in $6.5 Million in private donations for booster club?

How about Ticket revenue, NDSU would be near the top already.

TV revenue, NDSU has smaller base, but much Bigger % watching the games.

Travelling fanbase,  easily 3000-5000 at away games, does anyone in your league do that now?

3 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

still waitin  for that NDSU invite Craig Thompson .. the ONLY reason NOT to invite NDSU is because you don't want them to be #1-#2 in the football standings Day 1.  and I respect that, but we will bring alot of exposure for MWC

Any of your schools bringing in $6.5 Million in private donations for booster club?

Travelling fanbase,  easily 3000-5000 at away games, does anyone in your league do that now?

You had better get used to “waiting.”

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

your team is Colorado St in the bio,   in 2013 NDSU brought 7500 fans there, drank the entire west side of the stadium out of bear and the bar/restaurant owners in the Fort were ecstatic over NDSU dropping Oil Money Cash!

oh and we physically dominated in a 22-7 win

6 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

your team is Colorado St in the bio,   in 2013 NDSU brought 7500 fans there, drank the entire west side of the stadium out of bear and the bar/restaurant owners in the Fort were ecstatic over NDSU dropping Oil Money Cash!

oh and we physically dominated in a 22-7 win

I doubt your riff raft could afford more than one night in the Superior Lifestyle. @Swoll Cracker, put this child in his place.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I doubt your riff raft could afford more than one night in the Superior Lifestyle. @Swoll Cracker, put this child in his place.

Shocking that only 7500 showed up from that abysmal state called North Dakota. I woulda though the whole state population would have shown up to experience a beautiful September weekend of Superior Lifestyle.

Those that didnt make it to Fort Collins probably took all that oil money for a weekend visit to the meth labs in Wyoming.

So who is leaving? Boise, SDSU, and CSU? Just add UTSA first and figure things out from there. Could stay put at 10, or bring in UTEP and either NMSU or another Texas school to get back to 12. In a 12 team setup you just move Utah State west and then have Wyo, AFA, and UNM with the Texas schools. 

7 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So who is leaving? Boise, SDSU, and CSU? Just add UTSA first and figure things out from there. Could stay put at 10, or bring in UTEP and either NMSU or another Texas school to get back to 12. In a 12 team setup you just move Utah State west and then have Wyo, AFA, and UNM with the Texas schools. 

NMSU, which gives the conf max number of possible rivalries which IMO are important to fan culture. 

FSU/SJSU

UNLV/UNR

UNM/NMSU

AFA/WYO

Hawaii & USU, sorry guys. 

3 hours ago, lakesbison said:

You do not respect the MW at all.  

On 1/14/2021 at 8:17 PM, nvspuds said:

I don't think they will replace those schools if they leave.  I don't think NDSU would get any consideration for membership.  Why on earth would the MW want a football only school?  Hawaii had a long history with the current members but even then they have to pay travel subsidies to house their football here..  

However, I have a sales pitch you can make.  You agree to pay a 10 million dollar entrance fee.  You waive all tv revenue for 5 years and you pay travel subsidies to any MW school who plays a football game in Fargo.

250 thousand per home game.  That is just a million a year for 4 games..Easy peasy..

Just came out today: A Fargo sports writer interviewed Matt Brown (college sports business guy) on NDSU and the MW. https://make.headliner.app/download/6e9ca6cf-3fe4-4afd-b82e-f0e348ba2726
(SPOILER ALERT: In his opinion, NDSU is the MW's top choice right now)

So, basically ya'll should start watching your mouths or NDSU will jump you and join the AAC 😉

1 minute ago, tenbobnote said:

You're going to want to check it out! Just came out today: A Fargo sports writer interviewed Matt Brown (College sports business guy) on NDSU and the MW. https://make.headliner.app/download/6e9ca6cf-3fe4-4afd-b82e-f0e348ba2726
(SPOILER ALERT: In his opinion, NDSU is the MW's top choice right now)

A Fargo sports guy thinks a school in Fargo is the top choice of a conference that has said often that they are not looking to add any schools..

Damn, you got a major scoop there..

1 minute ago, nvspuds said:

A Fargo sports guy thinks a school in Fargo is the top choice of a conference that has said often that they are not looking to add any schools..

Damn, you got a major scoop there..

Matt Brown ( the national sports guy) is saying this. And BTW this is not the first non-local person to say this. 

I never heard of the guy but he didn't say the NDSU was the first choice..The most interesting part of his spiel was how it doesn't matter that Fargo doesn't add any tv revenue because but that is okay because the MW doesn't have its own tv network..  That is a stupid thing to say.  CBS and Fox absolutely look at tv sets when they work up an offer.  Fargo doesn't move the needle.

It was interesting when he said that NDSU can't afford to be an all sports member of the MW..  

He also mentioned..and I kid you not, that even the casual football fans across the country follow NDSU.  

Of course this silly interview to a Fargo audience end we a call for people to subscribe to his podcast..

There was some high comedy in this drivel..

13 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I never heard of the guy but he didn't say the NDSU was the first choice..The most interesting part of his spiel was how it doesn't matter that Fargo doesn't add any tv revenue because but that is okay because the MW doesn't have its own tv network..  That is a stupid thing to say.  CBS and Fox absolutely look at tv sets when they work up an offer.  Fargo doesn't move the needle.

It was interesting when he said that NDSU can't afford to be an all sports member of the MW..  

He also mentioned..and I kid you not, that even the casual football fans across the country follow NDSU.  

Of course this silly interview to a Fargo audience end we a call for people to subscribe to his podcast..

There was some high comedy in this drivel..

What he's saying is that with TV deals, having a local draw only matters to the media buyer (e.g. ESPN ) if they're a conference media station (e.g. The Big Ten Network). This is the case because conference media is local and only local people can watch. ESPN, CBS, FOX, etc are national and so it's the national draw that matters and NDSU has a really good national brand. I again refer you to my post on national interest gauged by google searches. Also, you can see at ndsutofbs.com NDSU vs the current MW in google searches.

Yes, NDSU can only afford to kick ass in one sport. They do it well.

Yes, casual fans across the country do follow NDSU.

How well will your fan base stick around if you have a few 6-6 seasons?  That's the danger with small market teams.  Have you ever had a run of bad seasons before, and if so, did your numbers drop significantly?

To think there will be no growing pains from an FBS jump is silly, even the best FCS programs lost at first.  Boise is one of the few who didn't. (But they went to the Big West first)

5 hours ago, WAC_FAN said:

How well will your fan base stick around if you have a few 6-6 seasons?  That's the danger with small market teams.  Have you ever had a run of bad seasons before, and if so, did your numbers drop significantly?

To think there will be no growing pains from an FBS jump is silly, even the best FCS programs lost at first.  Boise is one of the few who didn't. (But they went to the Big West first)

Here's the best objective analysis I can give you:

Ndsu went from D-II to D-1 in 2004. 
They've had one losing season during that time in 2009. 2009's average (Fargodome) attendance was 16,515.
Complete DIV 1 Record (2004-2020):    182 - 35 
Record since 2011 -   129 - 8
Currently on a 38 game win streak

This is going to sound a little ridiculous but our biggest risk of losing interest right now is winning too much. Right now, in the early playoff games oddsmakers have NDSU by 30 every time. Attendance has been down in those games because they're not competitive. Then, they go back to sell outs in the quarter/semi finals.

This is also going to sound arrogant but NDSU is going to be the exception to the FCS-> FBS jump. With 22 MORE scholarships and a winning culture, they will be in the top half of the MW if they get in right away. Keep in mind NDSU has played a 15-16 game schedule since 2011. They also play in the best FCS conference + playoff teams which is going to equate to playing teams with a similar skill level to the MAC or Conference USA or higher when you get to the semi-finals / championship. Which isn't all that impressive until you recall the 38 game win streak. 

Here's Sagarin's 2019 rankings of conferences (average of the teams in them) to give a little perspective including NDSU individually:
MVFC (NDSU's current conference):  52.86
MW-West: 62.19
MW-MTN: 67.7
PAC-12-N: 77.21
NDSU78.58
BIG 10-E: 79.40
BIG 12: 79.52

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_Dakota_State_Bison_football_seasons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_North_Dakota_State_Bison_football_team
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2019/conference/