Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maji

EDIT: Thread about stimulus package

15 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I just think it should be far more targeted to people that are unemployed and at risk for food or housing. Those people definitely need it and are going to spend it.

That's a reasonable stance

16 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

What about COLAs ?

$100 k in a Metro Area is starvation wages.

In Murphreesboro, you are living large.

Yeah, all those working professionals struggling to make it in the big city. We definitely need to help them!

I don't understand you. You keep telling people to check their white privilege when you reek of it.

17 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I don’t believe we should borrow money to give $4k to a married couple with an income of $150k. 

Not sure it’s borrowed, more likely the printing presses are running 24/7. In any case $600 or $2,000 won’t last long for someone out of a job with no savings. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Not sure it’s borrowed, more likely the printing presses are running 24/7. In any case $600 or $2,000 won’t last long for someone out of a job with no savings. 

There's federal UI too though

First someone vandalized Pelosi's house in an apparent connection to the stimulus.

Now someone has vandalized McConnell's house for denying the $2,000 checks.

Protests in front of and vandalizing politician's homes just seems like another polite society line being crossed.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Unemployment is a thing.

21 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

First someone vandalized Pelosi's house in an apparent connection to the stimulus.

Now someone has vandalized McConnell's house for denying the $2,000 checks.

Protests in front of and vandalizing politician's homes just seems like another polite society line being crossed.

Really bad stuff. 

On 1/1/2021 at 5:59 AM, NVGiant said:

It’s inefficient as an economic stimulus. If you want to get the money into the economy, there are better ways. If it has to be direct payments, Id rather the income eligibility drop, and the payments triple (or more) for the working poor. 

I agree,  I support the GOP on this one.  There are better ways to get help to those who truly need it.   Food cards, rent assistance, unemployment, etc

I am donating mine to the local food bank

28 minutes ago, Billings said:

I agree,  I support the GOP on this one.  There are better ways to get help to those who truly need it.   Food cards, rent assistance, unemployment, etc

I am donating mine to the local food bank

How? Their complaints about the payments being poorly targeted are disingenuous. The Democrats had to fight just to include unemployment insurance. If the GOP really wanted well-targeted relief, they would support provisions to help those in need. They don't.

15 minutes ago, Maji said:

How? Their complaints about the payments being poorly targeted are disingenuous. The Democrats had to fight just to include unemployment insurance. If the GOP really wanted well-targeted relief, they would support provisions to help those in need. They don't.

I agree with the point that the 2K is a poor way to get help to those who need it.  I did not mean to say I agreed with the rest of what they say and do.

10 minutes ago, gold-n-brown said:

Math is not your strong suit.

Well, may have only been a fortnight, but at the time seemed like nothing was happening. Trump impeachment taking up more of congress’ time. I guess the senate got the 51 votes required through reconciliation to avoid filibusters.

Still - it’s going to be a month (from inaug) before any money gets into people’s hands. And for a priority people wanted going back to October/November.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gop-puts-minimum-wage-school-reopenings-in-covid-aid-spotlight-11612467876?mod=politics_lead_pos1