Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

Spartans To Play Ball State

1 hour ago, ziggy29 said:

I'm certainly not dissing the MAC or Ball State.  But going back to at least 1981, almost every time SJSU made a bowl game, they get a MAC opponent.  Only in 2006, in the New Mexico Bowl (against the Lobos) and 2015 (a bowl despite a 5-7 season because not enough teams were bowl-eligible), have the Spartans not faced a MAC opponent.  It would just be nice to *not* face the MAC again, is all.  

Not gonna denigrate a MAC opponent (assuming it ultimately comes to that).  What I worry about is a 1987-like Bowl Game result.  Losing 30-27 to Eastern Michigan in the Cal Bowl (Fresno) that year was a pretty bitter pill to swallow.  That Spartans team was pretty awesome (10-2), winning at Stanford AND Cal that year and only losing the other game by 2 points (oddly enough, to a bad Oregon State team, also on the road, 36-34)... 

50 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Welcome to the top of the heap, Spartans.  Where you realize the Hair is an ineffective lobbyist for our champs.

What good has that guy EVER provided? He is worse than the guy that "Ran" the WAC. Truly useless.

5 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I completely agree, SJSU deserves a better opponent than Ball State. I believe this Spartan team would give USC a run for their money. They’re solid in the trenches and that’s what it takes to stack up.  

Sparty is the best in our conf at the moment, but '$C...haha!!!

Should be a great game. And given that P5 teams are opting out of bowl bids left and right (the Pac 12 will only have 2 teams bowling) it's as good as you can ask for at this point in time. 

Kind of a throwback to the old California Bowls. 

1 hour ago, Mike Morgan said:

Playing a MAC school like Ball State is exactly what I would expect for a team like San Jose State, which came into the season without any pre-season hype or laurels. They were picked to finish 10th in the MWC poll, and these were voters that should have known better about the Spartans. San Jose State also did not have a marquee non-conference victory over P5 school that might have garnered them early attention. With that in mind, I really cannot be disappointed in San Jose State facing Ball State.

Now, if San Jose State can keep Coach Brennan, and not lose too many members of his staff, and a high number of senior and graduate players opt to return; then SJSU could possibly be ranked at the start of the season. If they were to have another season like 2020, then I would expect a much better bowl game. But, that's another story, for another day.

If SJSU went on a run to the NY6 next year, it'd be huge, because nobody bandwagons like the Bay Area. 

Very happy to see you all win it this year. Congrats. 

4 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Good luck sparky. Finish up that perfect nowhere near perfect 

season.

Speaking of "nowhere."

Why didn't y'all show up to Ft Fun this yr?   Thx for NOTHING!!!

6 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Sparty is the best in our conf at the moment, but '$C...haha!!!

I didn’t claim they would win. I do believe they would give USC a damn good game. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

10 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I didn’t claim they would win. I do believe they would give USC a damn good game. 

Too bad USC opted out and this wasn't a year where the champ went to the LA Bowl. Could actually maybe see that happening. 

Sparty would have given them a game at least, I agree. Probably could have won. That defense is nasty. 

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

Too bad USC opted out and this wasn't a year where the champ went to the LA Bowl. Could actually maybe see that happening. 

Sparty would have given them a game at least, I agree. Probably could have won. That defense is nasty. 

If Arizona is able to give USC a scare, SJSU sure as hell could as well. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

16 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

The most unfortunate thing about SJSU not playing a Pac team is the exposure it would get them in California, especially if it was a Cali school.

This should be a fun game. I’m confident in SJSU. The MW hasn’t been much for a few years, even if our leadership is still incompetent. Gotta rebuild things brick by brick, just like Sparta did under Brennan. A national TV game on the most stay at home New Years ever? Sounds like a good opportunity to get to work. And we have the right team to do it.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.