Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

Largest Carnivores

3 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I believe we got 3 or 4 campus text/email alerts that mountain lions had been spotted on Boise State grounds, know for sure they killed one behind the education building.

I have seen a Florida panther (which is essentially another name for mountain lion) while fishing, turned my head to whisper to my friend and it was gone. 

I've seen one Florida Black Bear. Was when I was dating some ACR (Alachua County Resident aka hillbilly) and we were at her parent's place way out in the sticks. Never seen a Florida Panther though. Lots of Alligators though. 

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

Well if you spent time in North Carolina woods and not west coast forests you’d never see one :ph34r:

We have mountain lions.  One was spotted recently in Knoxville, though not technically North Carolina. Bears and bobcats are more common.  

The Florida Panther is making a strong comeback as well.  It was thought at one point that there were only a few dozen left in the Everglades but now they can be seen as far north as Osceola County.  They’re this generation’s manatee.

This would be a trip

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

We have mountain lions.  One was spotted recently in Knoxville, though not technically North Carolina. Bears and bobcats are more common.  

The Florida Panther is making a strong comeback as well.  It was thought at one point that there were only a few dozen left in the Everglades but now they can be seen as far north as Osceola County.  They’re this generation’s manatee.

Joking Just Kidding GIF

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

My cousin and I came across a Black Bear while deer hunting near Gregorio Lake in the Jemez Mountains when I was in high school. 
I’ve come across cougar tracks many times, but have yet to see the animal. I’ve also had numerous encounters with desert badgers at work. I give those nasty phuckers a wide berth.

4 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

North Carolina has elk as well, a lot of people don't know that.

Have you ever driven alligator alley?  It's like driving past T-Rex's exhibit in Jurassic Park with the giant fences designed to keep the panthers out.

12 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So last march I took this girl I was seeing up to one of my special areas in the Salmon River Country, nobody for miles around right, snow on the ground in patches.  Only one open road in there.  Fishing was bad so we went for a drive.  I took her up a road to Thunder Mountain (old mining sight) and a pure white female wolf ran in front of our car about 15 feet in front of us.  I have lead professional wolf watching trips but had never seen one so close.  Ever.  

She was more impressed with the mountain blue birds....SMH.

If the wolf was your spirit animal instead of the mountain lion, you would have immediately turned and pushed that girl down some stairs, but alas, it is not. Opportunity missed. 

15 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

They are like ghosts.  Them and wolves man.

Any creature that can travel 1000 miles in a couple months over extreme terrain while hunting everything it eats is pretty impressive to me. 6/23 to 6/26 is the most of the Idaho Panhandle for reference.

image.png.ca2c53878586bd3e46717038fae899f7.png

There was one in the mountains behind my parent's ranch outside of Carson City that was eventually captured and relocated. I saw it twice....once while I was on a motorcycle and once on a horse and both times it was at a distance, but it was still pretty amazing to see. There was also a guy at Tahoe that had a pet mountain lion, if you can imagine that. He would bring it to Zephyr Cove beach on a huge chain and people would always gather around. I'm pretty sure it was declawed, but it's paws were massive. On occasion, there would be too many people around it and it would let out one of the their screams (that's what he called it) and it was frightening. I wonder if that cat ate him in his sleep one day? I bet it did. 

12 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

I was riding my mountain bike on a logging road in the Sierra near the Sierra Buttes about 10 years ago when I came around a corner and surprised a big mountain lion standing in the road about 30’ away. I was screened by roadside brush and wasn’t moving very fast as I approached and then rounded that corner, so I assume I wasn’t making enough noise for the cat to hear me and depart before we saw each other. Or maybe whatever breeze (don’t recall there being one) there was was blowing downwind from the cat toward me. Whatever the reason, it didn’t seem aware of me before we saw each other. I stopped immediately and we stared at each other for about a second before it turned and cleared the 7’ of roadside brush in one graceful leap. I sprinted to that spot to look for it, but it was already gone. Breathtaking!

If things had gone wrong, they would have found only your bike and a pair of shoes clicked into your clipless pedals. At your memorial, I would have looked down (who are we kidding, that's where you'll be) and whispered "I told you those things were trouble". 

11 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Any creature that can travel 1000 miles in a couple months over extreme terrain while hunting everything it eats is pretty impressive to me. 6/23 to 6/26 is the most of the Idaho Panhandle for reference.

image.png.ca2c53878586bd3e46717038fae899f7.png

One of the wolves from those re-introduced up there made its way to the Sierra's and was found dead earlier this year. Word on the street is that it was killed by a Spartan.....but it was probably listed as a COVID death. How very sad. 

14 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

If things had gone wrong, they would have found only your bike and a pair of shoes clicked into your clipless pedals. At your memorial, I would have looked down (who are we kidding, that's where you'll be) and whispered "I told you those things were trouble". 

Show me on the shoes where I hurt you.

image.jpeg.357c9b4f9dec5196a0df0cecf7809a8b.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

There was one in the mountains behind my parent's ranch outside of Carson City that was eventually captured and relocated. I saw it twice....once while I was on a motorcycle and once on a horse and both times it was at a distance, but it was still pretty amazing to see. There was also a guy at Tahoe that had a pet mountain lion, if you can imagine that. He would bring it to Zephyr Cove beach on a huge chain and people would always gather around. I'm pretty sure it was declawed, but it's paws were massive. On occasion, there would be too many people around it and it would let out one of the their screams (that's what he called it) and it was frightening. I wonder if that cat ate him in his sleep one day? I bet it did. 

That’s funny, I had pictures taken with that guys mountain lion a few times as a kid. He used to set up in a shopping center down by Lakeside Inn and charged a few bucks for the photo-op. 

I’ve actually seen a bunch in the wild over the years while hiking in the Sierras on the Nevada side. 

3 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

That’s funny, I had pictures taken with that guys mountain lion a few times as a kid. He used to set up in a shopping center down by Lakeside Inn and charged a few bucks for the photo-op. 

I’ve actually seen a bunch in the wild over the years while hiking in the Sierras on the Nevada side. 

What do you do for a living? I own a mountain lion. 

I have plenty of pictures with cougars, but it cost me a lot more than a few bucks. Life just isn't fair! 

43 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

I know there’s a great joke about @BSUTOP25’s mom in here somewhere but I can’t quite put my finger in it....errr on it!!

It was buried in my post above about taking pictures with cougars, but it was posted using a stealth font.