Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tenbobnote

I Created A Website With NCAA Financial Data: Why NDSU Football Belongs In the Mountain West. Thoughts?

4 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

Alright guys.

I created an entire website based on NCAA financial data and other public data showing NDSU would be great for the MWC.

https://ndsutofbs.com

So, where's the invite??

NDSU BELONGS IN THE MOUNTAIN WEST.png

Why do you people act like this?

Go be in the MAC.

Nobody here gives a shit about NDSU and their plucky little football team.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

2 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I thought geography would be an issue but not the #1 and only issue raised. As far as I see it, NDSU would create rivals fast since they'd be a top contender right away.

As far as the MAC goes, it's seen as a downgrade from the current FCS conference. So, it's likely MW, new conference upon realignment, or bust. Going independent likely wouldn't work either as scheduling is perceived as a nightmare without a conference.

You wouldn't be a top contender right away. 

You would take some lumps here.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 minute ago, tenbobnote said:

Are you talking about fans? Because the team is going to charter flight directly to the airport 2 minutes from the stadium.

I was just pointing out that the travel is onerous in the MW..

Would NDSU be willing to pay subsidies to the MW members to come play in your stadium?..Hawaii does that.

As a football only program you would not get a full share of the tv deals..Same goes for Hawaii.

You are very fond of your program but what is in it for the MW?  You claim that you are better than most of the existing program..How is that helpful?  

Seems like NDSU would be a great fit for the AAC.

Certainly the overinflated sense of value is a spot on match.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I admire your exuberance but I don't see your dream being fulfilled. Best wishes.

1 hour ago, tenbobnote said:

1. Recruiting rankings are made up and relatively worthless (especially when you get out of the very top schools). Look at Sagarin, Massey rankings, and wins. The proof is the pudding. NDSU builds from within and have an excellent system for doing so. They produce NFL talent and have multiple players choosing NDSU over P5 schools every year

2. They have a 500k local tv contact, which, sure, isn't fantastic but they have a brand that's right up their with any mid-tier MW team. Did you see the Google search chart on the site? 2nd only to Boise State. NDSU is THE TEAM for a decently large area. Minneapolis is a pretty big market for NDSU too. They were able to sell out Target Field playing a nobody in Minneapolis when they played there in 2019. I think it was around 40k-ish seats. They've sustained this for a long time. It's not going anywhere.

3. They could compete with their 63 scholarships right now. So, they sure as heck could compete with 85.

4. The MW goes to NDSU because they have a great brand and would raise the level of play. It would energize the league more than any low level California or Texas school that hardly anyone cares about.

5. It would have to be football only

I get the timing aspect. Seems like things might start to shake up with the entire country so I think it's good to put chips out on the table now.

I like NDSU and think they could make the jump up and have some success just not in the MW. And I’m going to need to see a source on the multiple players choosing NDSU over P5 offers every year....

5 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

Alright guys.

I created an entire website based on NCAA financial data and other public data showing NDSU would be great for the MWC.

So, where's the invite??

If Wyoming were to...suddenly....go....uhh  "missing" (wink wink), then we might have room for another school located in a frozen, de-populated hellscape...

But you didn't hear it from me

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Call me crazy but I always like UTSA as a candidate. Trip to San Antonio every now and then would be lovely. Montana would then be my 14th pick. Their fan support and game day environment is awesome. Boise come down to the West division and be back with your old buddies 

Related image

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That's my problem as well.  It would be like adding another Laramie but further away and with no history and tradition with current schools.

Wyoming, CSU, and air force are within hours of each other.  Also close to universal and New Mexico for that matter.  The smurfs are the outliers here!

Texas schools, Montana fcs schools, CA fcs schools, NMSU, EWU and NAU are all schools that fit better in the MW.

5 hours ago, MAD MACGYVER said:

I think if the MAC were smart they'd go all in on NDSU right now, and NDSU would probably contend to win the football championship immediately. 

I have seen NDSU in person at the FCS National Championship in Frisco the last two years and they've got the chops for it. They play disciplined football, are winners and they have a culture that fosters the expectation of achievement.

If the MWC were to lose teams, then I could see a push for NDSU, but, NMSU, UTEP, and perhaps Idaho, or UC Davis would move to back fill.

I’d take NDSU over any of those in a heartbeat. NMSU, UTEP and Idaho FB is horrid. UC Davis makes absolutely no sense at all.

In the last decade, a few influential people in the P12 have said they’d love to have UCD some day, but they’d have to go the G5 route and build themselves up to be P5 quality. In other words, let the G5 minions spend all their money on building them up, and the we’ll take the finished product, thank you. Not to mention it would put another FBS school right into important recruiting territory of Nevada, Fresno, SJSU, as well as CAL and Stanford. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Why do you people act like this?

Go be in the MAC.

Nobody here gives a shit about NDSU and their plucky little football team.

Oh no, here comes Jacko out of nowhere. He must have had downed another beer in the bathroom so the wife didn’t see it. Now that he’s got his beer balls going again, he sees an NDSU thread and ceases upon the opportunity to dish out some Bauer bad ass! 

🤣🤣🤪🤪🤠😝👍

kat.jpg

NDSU is the type of add the MWC is thirsty for.

For some reason, the WAC teams (and some MWC originals) just don’t play good football.

NDSU is EXACTLY the kind of football-focused add that Karl Benson used to make the Sunbelt better than the MWC.

App State, Coastal, GA Southern, were all good FCS schools that Benson used to lift the SBC profile.

He did the same with Boise State back in the day... which ironically is the MWC’s highest paid team.

3mxsBs3.jpg

7 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

Alright guys.

So, where's the invite??

I'm going to assume that you want NDSU to join as a football-only member. I'm not an expert on intercollegiate athletics but if they do make the jump you have to spend the same amount on women's sports to comply with Title IX. If you're spending X amount of dollars towards the football team in scholarships, equipment, etc. You should also invest the same amount or amount that's proportional to the male-female NDSU student body radio to the women's sports as well (Adding new women's teams or cutting some men's teams). This means that you have to not only get money from subsidies (university and/or students) but also the nonrevenue category as well (Ticket Sales, Media Rights, etc.).

You also have to factor in their academics as well because at the end of the day most of their players aren't going to go to the NFL. In reality, the chances that a CFB player will move onto the NFL is just as slim as a HS FB player moving onto CFB. They're going to NDSU because they're getting a college degree by studying whatever major their in and become a productive member in society. On top of that, proximity is a plus for all of its sports (football included) which means that you have to convince the NDSU faculty members on why that extra travel distance shouldn't be a problem.

I suggest you include flight times from NDSU to other MVFC members too to show that travel isn't a concern for the conference members. CFB fans also talked about NDSU being in the MAC and the AAC so include that map too.

My 2 cents.

6 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

As far as the MAC goes, it's seen as a downgrade from the current FCS conference. So, it's likely MW, new conference upon realignment, or bust. Going independent likely wouldn't work either as scheduling is perceived as a nightmare without a conference.

Sorry, your unwillingness to jump and pay your dues is exactly why your program is where it is.  Almost every MWC took a leap of faith and started in the Big West/WAC/Feeder Conference, you guys had ample opportunities to jump in line--if you did you would likely be where Boise and Nevada are now--very likely ahead of Idaho and NMSU when it came to the latest round of MWC invites.  Possibly even ahead of (then) SJSU.  Maybe you would be the next Boise right now.

There are some funny comments in this thread.  I think the one I like best so far is: ‘go join another fbs conference and win a title or two to make yourself more desirable to the MWC’.  That is RICH.   Let’s put it this way, if NDSU were to join any conference at the fbs level and achieve that kind of success, why the hell would they go to the MWC then?  

I understand why you would want ndsu in the Mwc.  It’s an upgrade.  However, your school actually cares about and is invested in football.  Don’t join that boneyard.  Go Indy or MAC... which is absolutely not a downgrade, it’s on the same general level as the MWC, it’s basically the regional equivalent.  Good MAC teams can get poached by multiple other conferences.  The upside to the MWC is maybe the PAC may come calling...but they are in trouble and are a sinking ship themselves.  If you like football look south and east if you can, not west.

Good Thread!

There is going to be changes, if not in 2021 then the following years, too much $ involved.

Media coverage is key- not really a NDSU strength. Course, the same could be said for Wyo (which I hope we never lose our ties) New Mexico (definitely a quality school scholastically and about to make a splash in FB-other sports strong and SJSU which demographically has the exposure its the overall quality of the program (sorry thinking your a "One hit wonder" once Brennan bolts in the coming weeks). 

SDSU will leave, question is when and where. Will Boise follow- who knows they certainly don't have the academics nor the overall athletics value.

Interesting time- I still remember Pac 10/12 bring the dominate FB Conference-how far they have fallen.

I wonder how much N. Dakota politics would come into play as well? Would politicians support NDS moving without UND? I'm thinking that would be a deal breaker for the Montana universities as well... Can't have one without the other.

13 hours ago, Cowboy said:

NDSU is the type of add the MWC is thirsty for.

For some reason, the WAC teams (and some MWC originals) just don’t play good football.

NDSU is EXACTLY the kind of football-focused add that Karl Benson used to make the Sunbelt better than the MWC.

App State, Coastal, GA Southern, were all good FCS schools that Benson used to lift the SBC profile.

He did the same with Boise State back in the day... which ironically is the MWC’s highest paid team.

What are you talking about?  The WAC schools have carried this conference.  12 of the 16 MWCCG participants are the new WAC schools.